800 calories?

Options
saffihaysh384
saffihaysh384 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Daily, I eat about 800 calories. I do not do it on purpose, I am just used to eating this way. After spending my childhood overweight I cut down in my early teens and since then (I'm 18 now) I never broke the habit. I eat a range of healthy foods (maybe a bit low on the dairy) but include plenty of fruit and veggies throught the day. I think I have a pretty healthy life style and exercise regularly. I feel energetic and in no way drowsy or dizzy at times. I also enjoy the food I eat! Is anyone else a low calorie eater. And does this cause any problems for the future?
(I also do not see changes in my weight)

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know you, your weight, or your height but doubt that eating 800 calories is healthy for you. On the other hand, you may very well be eating a lot more than you realize.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are eating more than you think.

I'm 5'5" - 54 years old and maintain my weight at 1800 calories. OLD people need less calories......so to answer your question....is 800 healthy? Absolutely not.

You mention fruits & veggies (vitamins & fiber).....what about protein and healthy fats? Your body needs these things also.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Are you disabled? Limited mobility? Amputee? Below 5'0 There are some circumstances that could lower someone's maintenance calories pretty low.

Otherwise, you're actually eating more and in maintenance.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I typically eat 800 cals for dinner! you've got your body used to having so little! You could really do with slowly increasing your cals til you get to at least 1200, ideally 1400 or more! It's hard to say how many cals when I don't know your stats etc.

I'm 5ft 2/ 45 yrs/ active and maintain on 2200 cals.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, barring serious and unusual medical conditions, you're eating a lot more than you think. I'm pushin' thirty at 5'7 and about 2000 is my maintenance when I'm at goal weight. At 18, I could eat a lot more. Not that that's BAD. You definitely should be eating enough to give your body what it needs, and 800 calories isn't gonna do it.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif

LOL. Truth.

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    yes, 800 calories will cause problems.
    Not providing enough protein, fiber, calcium, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals for your body to absorb & utilize.

without enough, you'll start aging in your 20s, and will look alot older, ie wrinkles, sagging skin, dull hair, and take a toll on your body.

btw ~ don't be scared of the word "phytochemicals".
    "phyto" means plant in greek.
    It's the 'good stuff' in fruits/veges!! ... antioxidants, stimulate enzymes, anit-bacterial, anti-inflammatory.

http://www.phytochemicals.info/

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif

+1

800 calories a day? My 6 year old eats more than that.

I suggest you consult with a professional.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're eating more than you think.
  • sheenadel
    sheenadel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the total opposite here...I just did the hcg diet where you are limited to 500 calories a day...I had lots of energy...and ate a lot of food. It really depends on what your eating. During my diet I was stuffed after 500 calories a day and most days stuffed that last apple down just to make sure I ate 500. After 42 days I upped to 1000 for 2 weeks then again to 1200...im now at 1300 and I force myself to eat.
    So I think its totally possible you are only eating 800 calories a day..but as mentioned above what are your stats...
    I'm 5'6 123 lbs and eating 1300 calories a day.
    I eat all types of food though no restrictions at all.
    I'd be worried about your menses if you ever want children.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    sheenadel wrote: »
    I'm gonna be the total opposite here...I just did the hcg diet where you are limited to 500 calories a day...I had lots of energy...and ate a lot of food. It really depends on what your eating. During my diet I was stuffed after 500 calories a day and most days stuffed that last apple down just to make sure I ate 500. After 42 days I upped to 1000 for 2 weeks then again to 1200...im now at 1300 and I force myself to eat.
    So I think its totally possible you are only eating 800 calories a day..but as mentioned above what are your stats...
    I'm 5'6 123 lbs and eating 1300 calories a day.
    I eat all types of food though no restrictions at all.
    I'd be worried about your menses if you ever want children.

blah blah HCG diet cya
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    800 calories. Maybe enough to get you through your day. Not enough to allow for cell recovery and growth. Over time cells don't generate and reproduce.. Brittle bones, low blood count, anemia, thinning skin, loss of reproductive function and hormonal changes, difficulty with body temperature, loss of problem solving and spatial brain function. Could go on.
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You need at least 600 calories for your muscular system, and another 600 calories for your brain/nervous system to maintain. If you eat less than that, your body will eat its muscle and/or fat for the deficit in calories. You are probably a skinny-fat (no muscle). Talk to your doctor.
  • saffihaysh384
    saffihaysh384 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the help. I will certainly try and up my calorie intake. I just find it hard sometimes maintaining a healthy diet and having the calories to go along with it. I really just eat when I'm hungry. As people are asking, I am 5'7 and 119lbs. (Please keep the comments nice :smile: )
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to up your calories but are not hungry all day you should probably eat higher calorie foods and or start drinking juices. Maybe have some snacks you think are healthy throughout the day. I don't know what kind of food you view as healthy, but a lot of people on the site mention what type of food they think is healthy and have open diaries. Maybe finding people with similar food taste as you and taking something from their diaries can help you up those calories in a tasty way. Good luck.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the help. I will certainly try and up my calorie intake. I just find it hard sometimes maintaining a healthy diet and having the calories to go along with it. I really just eat when I'm hungry. As people are asking, I am 5'7 and 119lbs. (Please keep the comments nice :smile: )

In your original post you said you were maintaining your current weight on 800 calories a day. If you were truly maintaining (same weight over 4-6 weeks), then you're actually probably eating more calories than you realize and you're fine. You would need to weigh your food to be sure of that. Your diary is closed so I can't tell.

Red flags: You're 2 lbs away from being underweight, but your profile says you have 2 lbs left to lose. You're looking for support for eating 800 calories a day. You say you're 18, but your profile says you're 20?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

If you open your diary people could see what you are eating and make suggestions.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Stuffed on 500 calories.