How to truly stick with it!

Options
I have actually been a part of this great community and worked hard on getting healthy. But I had fallen off my path and for the longest time I never continued to being a part of MFPs.

Its that I don't seem to really stick with my goals and always let the small stuff get in my way. Like getting stuck in a rut where I don't lose or gain any weight, and I still have 15 lbs to lose before reaching my goal. This has happened to be many times, then I get frustrated and pretty much give up. Then all that hard work is gained right back and I'm once again feeling bad about how I look which depresses me more.

And here I am finally wanting to see that finish line, and with new excitement meeting some wonderful friends along the way.

My question is How do you stick with it?

Would love any ones great ideas and feedback, and also personal experiences. I know I'm not alone in this battle, and knowing there are other wonderful people out there sharing the same experiences and even achieving their goals helps put a spark in me. Hopefully I can finally stick with it!

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think some people, like myself, find it easy to stick with things. Its a personality trait. Others need to work hard at it and go against their natural inclinations. For those people, they need to slowly change habits and constantly find things that keep them motivated.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Setting a goal and actually wanting to reach it seems to be enough for me.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It takes a while. Eventually is becomes so ingrained in your routine that you won't be able to feel right without doing it. It takes longer for it to stick with come people than others, though.
  • MJacobs7575
    MJacobs7575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I think some people, like myself, find it easy to stick with things. Its a personality trait. Others need to work hard at it and go against their natural inclinations. For those people, they need to slowly change habits and constantly find things that keep them motivated.

That's one of the things I've noticed that makes it hard for me, is that I change my habits really fast. Then I lose that motivation because I went to fast, making me stumble. That's some great input, thank you!

• chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

My question is How do you stick with it?

I want it.... More than anything I've ever wanted I want this, and I'm at the point that I'm not going to deny myself this because I DESERVE every hour I spend in the gym, and I'll have EARNED the reward I'll get for it too!

Edited to 2nd the fitbit suggestion... I LOVE mine and love to make step challenges with my friends!
  • firie5205
    firie5205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is instead of focusing on the 15 pounds as a whole.. Why don't you simply make mini goals. For instances.. Pick a small number like I did with 3 pounds a month. I completely understand the falling off the wagon, I lost 14 pounds last year and then the holiday's came around, being forced to move and one thing after another, I gained it all back and then some. Now I am struggling to loose it once more, but I have decided that enough is enough! I purchased a fitbit one recently because I use to work at a place that offered pedometers, and trying to reach that 7000 steps and above, kept me motivated enough to stay on track. That is another thing you might look into.. It tracks all the steps that you make during a day, and at least in my opinion.. It's exciting and makes me proud to know that I beat my last stepping record. My husband and best friend is on the same track, so it makes it easier. If you want to add me, I don't mind and we can do it together! :smiley:
  • MJacobs7575
    Options
    It takes a while. Eventually is becomes so ingrained in your routine that you won't be able to feel right without doing it. It takes longer for it to stick with come people than others, though.

And that's how I felt in the past, it would feel weird when I when on road trips with friends for a few days and I'm busy doing other things and don't do any work outs, then realize that I know I should do my normal routines. Getting my body and mind set on the routines will be a challenge that I hope to overcome.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think it's the first little bit of results that keep me going. Like the first time you stick with it for a week or two and actually see the number on the scale go down or see your measurements change--that's what it is for me. I think once you see your effort is actually making a difference, it's easier to keep going.
  • MJacobs7575
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

I want it.... More than anything I've ever wanted I want this, and I'm at the point that I'm not going to deny myself this because I DESERVE every hour I spend in the gym, and I'll have EARNED the reward I'll get for it too!

Edited to 2nd the fitbit suggestion... I LOVE mine and love to make step challenges with my friends!

I love your optimism! I deserve to look great and feel great, and earning that reward is just the best icing on he cake!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The first week I was logging my meals, I started to understand how I gained the weight.

Bluntly, I ate like an over-indulged child with no regard for portions or cumulative calories.

I recognized that for myself, I will always need to be aware of the choices I have made and their impact, so I set out to develop habits I could live with long term, rather than "until I lose XX pounds".
  • MJacobs7575
    Options
    firie5205 wrote: »
    My suggestion is instead of focusing on the 15 pounds as a whole.. Why don't you simply make mini goals. For instances.. Pick a small number like I did with 3 pounds a month. I completely understand the falling off the wagon, I lost 14 pounds last year and then the holiday's came around, being forced to move and one thing after another, I gained it all back and then some. Now I am struggling to loose it once more, but I have decided that enough is enough! I purchased a fitbit one recently because I use to work at a place that offered pedometers, and trying to reach that 7000 steps and above, kept me motivated enough to stay on track. That is another thing you might look into.. It tracks all the steps that you make during a day, and at least in my opinion.. It's exciting and makes me proud to know that I beat my last stepping record. My husband and best friend is on the same track, so it makes it easier. If you want to add me, I don't mind and we can do it together! :smiley:

I do have a pedometer that I had used in the past, and was so very excited on how well it helped me to see how many steps I would take in a day. I've been working as a waitress and now I'm curious on how many steps I would get on our busiest of days at work. What a great challenge!
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think that you just have to remember everyday, why you're doing it. There is no magic answer... Too many people think about reaching the goal, but a lot of us forget why we have set it in the first place.

And truth be told, we don't need anyone or anything special to do it. Not even MFP. We don't need gym buddies, weight loss friends, motivational videos, or books to tell us why we're worth it. They help, but they are not a "need". We are alone in this, in the sense that no one has more interest in us to succeed, than ourselves.

I truly believe that when we find that motivation within ourselves, a few pounds will be nothing. Nothing can stand in the way of determination.

Think about someone you love, whether they are family, a really close friend or someone who stuck with you through think and thin. Would you climb mountains for them? Would you walk barefoot, to the end of the world, to see them well?
    Then love yourself, my friend, and do it for yourself - when you will think you're worth it, a goal of few pounds less will not feel like climbing a mountain - but rather a small thing to accomplish - for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it at the moment?

Its all a complete mind game. Put thought and effort to whats going on up there and ready yourself for a strategy to come into play when you hit the bump. The most important aspect is to commit and understand what that means and requires. Do you know why you are really doing it? I have absolute conviction, which means im relentless, that doesnt mean its all perfect, but I have very good focus to keep going. One thing that will help you os just focus on the day ahead and doing that right, which then buukd and before you know it you are at a week. 15lbs to lose could easily take another 3-4 months and considering where you have come from then id suggest you need to fight hard as though its the middle of your journey and not the end.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It has taken me over a year to lose 30 lbs. I still have another 30 to go. I was frustrated many times during this journey, and suffered setbacks, weight gains, and lack of motivation, but I never gave up, because I REALLY want this. I see every 5 lbs lost as a victory, and measure myself often as well. Every inch down, or pants feeling loser, keeps me going. Recently I tried on a bunch of pants that were too small before, and I am now able to wear them! Going down sizes is what motivates me the most.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have 28 left....

Anyway look at it this way. If you were to run a marathon would you stop 10 feet from the finish line and give up just because you were tired?

If young were saving money for a cruise and you only had to save another $50 but you then spend some of your savings for a day trip at home so now you need to save $100 to reach your goal would you give up on saving for your cruise?

See where I'm heading here?

How much do you want it?
  • treetownmama
    treetownmama Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think it's the first little bit of results that keep me going. Like the first time you stick with it for a week or two and actually see the number on the scale go down or see your measurements change--that's what it is for me. I think once you see your effort is actually making a difference, it's easier to keep going.

This is completely true for me, too. I am also just recently back on the weight loss wagon after losing 45 lbs last year. I've gained 12 of it back and I'm now committing myself to losing that plus 30ish more. Anyway, for me the first week is by far the hardest. But seeing that scale go down, feeling my clothes get looser, seeing the difference in my body--it's addicting. That feeling and knowing that I'll keep being successful as long as I stay accountable is awesome. I just have to purely will myself through that first week, maybe the first couple, and then it honestly just becomes a habit to me and it feels easy. Starting is the hardest part. I just think about how giving in to temptation is *so* not worth it. A few minutes of (false, temporary, superficial) "bliss" followed by hours or days of disappointment and frustration. It's nothing compared to the accomplishment, satisfaction and happiness I feel when I wake up the next morning feeling lighter and on top of my game.

Bottom line: you have to almost *need* the change to happen. You have to really, really want it and commit with no excuses. It's easier for some than others.

I also agree about not looking at your ultimate goal. It's too far away. Choose small goals you can accomplish in a couple weeks or a month at most. And enjoy the journey of losing. Don't get discouraged by how far you have to go.

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    For me it finally "stuck" when I completely changed my point of view and developed new habits. Maybe try forgetting weight loss goals for now and just focus on developing habits. For one month, make your goal to exercise X amount everyday. For another month, focus on logging your food no matter what. Next month, stay under your calorie goal everyday. Next month, meet your protein goal (within a range) every day. After you develop habits one small step at a time, you can make small adjustments to meet your weight loss goals since you'll be sure of your intake and ability to still to a calorie goal.