So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So question or many questions. I'm 5'3, currently 128lbs. I'd like to get to about 123. I've been there before and once I get there I don't really know how to tone myself. I have the baby pouch from my 8 year old that no matter how much weight I lose, it won't go away so I feel a big discouraged by that. Just gets more wrinkly and looser. So I guess once you get to your goal weight where do you go from there?

If you reach your goal weight and are unhappy with how you look still it's time for recomposition. It means you need to eat at about maintenance and do some strength training.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    So question or many questions. I'm 5'3, currently 128lbs. I'd like to get to about 123. I've been there before and once I get there I don't really know how to tone myself. I have the baby pouch from my 8 year old that no matter how much weight I lose, it won't go away so I feel a big discouraged by that. Just gets more wrinkly and looser. So I guess once you get to your goal weight where do you go from there?

If you reach your goal weight and are unhappy with how you look still it's time for recomposition. It means you need to eat at about maintenance and do some strength training.

So once you reach your goal weight and you still feel parts of your are fatty then strength training will fix those? I guess that's the part that confuses me. I know you can strength train all you want but if you don't reduce body fat then it won't be seen. So if you are at goal weight, a healthy BMI, but still a bit fatty in areas then do you start with weights or keep losing?
  • usmcmp
    Options

So once you reach your goal weight and you still feel parts of your are fatty then strength training will fix those? I guess that's the part that confuses me. I know you can strength train all you want but if you don't reduce body fat then it won't be seen. So if you are at goal weight, a healthy BMI, but still a bit fatty in areas then do you start with weights or keep losing?

The goal of lifting weights is to keep your lean mass or build a but more lean mass. If you are eating at about your maintenance and lifting weights you will very slowly build some muscle while losing fat. If you don't have the firm body under the fat you'll have to keep losing more and more weight (muscle weight and fat, because our bodies use our muscle when we are dieting). Lifting is the key to making sure the weight you lose is fat.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

The goal of lifting weights is to keep your lean mass or build a but more lean mass. If you are eating at about your maintenance and lifting weights you will very slowly build some muscle while losing fat. If you don't have the firm body under the fat you'll have to keep losing more and more weight (muscle weight and fat, because our bodies use our muscle when we are dieting). Lifting is the key to making sure the weight you lose is fat.

Thank you!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bump back to first page.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Boop! Thank you for being such a huge help to everyone, @usmcmp !
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    do you even bump bro?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

What does "slowly" mean? In general, if you are doing all this correctly, about how long does it take to start building lean mass so you notice it? A couple of months? A year? I've been reading all these threads about lifting and have been genuinely curious about the timeframes involved. I know everyone is different, but in general.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

What does "slowly" mean? In general, if you are doing all this correctly, about how long does it take to start building lean mass so you notice it? A couple of months? A year? I've been reading all these threads about lifting and have been genuinely curious about the timeframes involved. I know everyone is different, but in general.

Under perfect conditions (calorie surplus, effective resistance training program, adequate protein, appropriate rest) a woman can gain about 1 pound of lean mass per month in the first few years of training. Many people with average to athletic levels of body fat will see their muscles fill in slightly when they begin training. It's due to increased water in the muscles and reduced intramuscular fat. Beyond that it usually takes a few months to notice more changes.
  • hearts77
    hearts77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pearl12970
    pearl12970 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this awesome post. What training program, besides Strong Lifts , would you recommend for someone relatively new to strength training ? I am 5 foot 2 inches, current weight is 117 pounds . I do circuit training 3/week which includes cardio + weights but I want to move away from it and lift heavy.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    pearl12970 wrote: »
    Thanks for this awesome post. What training program, besides Strong Lifts , would you recommend for someone relatively new to strength training ? I am 5 foot 2 inches, current weight is 117 pounds . I do circuit training 3/week which includes cardio + weights but I want to move away from it and lift heavy.

Check out some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I'm personally not a fan of Stronglifts (for me at least). Another suggestion is New Rules of Lifting. It's educational as well as a training program.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Sculpting Bible series. There's one for men, for women, for abs, for "bikini season", etc, but it's all the same, sound, logical advice. Eat well, balance strength and cardio, and lift enough weight for max effectiveness. Most of the book is dedicated to demonstrating how to do different exercises for the various muscle groups, and then there are several types of lifting programs at the end, including a "Break-In" routine for beginners, those with just a simple home gym, those looking for power vs. toning, etc.

I like mine a lot!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bumb
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options