Phentermine experiences?

Options
alright I am aware that this forum is about healthy eating so please don't jump on me for this lol. I have been on a medically supervised diet. Logging all my food for about a year and my weight loss completely stalled for 6 months. Tried various things with my nutritionist and finally we along with my doctor decided to try Phentermine (after a full physical and ekg).

Diet pills make me nervous but this is day two and I haven't had any side effects so far (knock on wood) but did get just a bit of extra energy which is a huge thing for me that I struggle with.

So now I'm just wondering if anyone else has used or is using it and if it worked for them?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You've been on a medically supervised diet but have lost 0 pounds out of the 103 you have to lose?
  • laura617
    laura617 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've updated my stats on here... I lost 10lbs in 6 months then nothing after that.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In. ;)

OP when you stalled were you weighing your solid foods??.....measuring liquids??.....counting every bite you took?? If not, that's probably why you stalled you were eating at maintenance.

Taking pills, especially phentermine is never ever a good ideal.

READ THIS and forget the pills: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »
    I don't think I've updated my stats on here... I lost 10lbs in 6 months then nothing after that.

10 lbs in 6 months on a medically supervised diet…… Most people on a medically supervised diet lose 10 lbs in a month because of calorie restriction. So you must be eating too many calories.

How many calories are you eating? Do you use a food scale?
  • laura617
    Options
    On an 1800 calorie diet. Was told they could go lower but that seemed crazy to me. I weight everything and count everything (have to keep a log). I also do light exercise at least 1 hour daily 4/5 days a week (it varies by a day if I just have too much to do honestly) and I eat back any calories I lost during exercise.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    On an 1800 calorie diet. Was told they could go lower but that seemed crazy to me. I weight everything and count everything (have to keep a log). I also do light exercise at least 1 hour daily 4/5 days a week (it varies by a day if I just have too much to do honestly) and I eat back any calories I lost during exercise.

When you say weigh… Do you use a food scale or measuring cups/spoons?
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would ask yourself and them what medical problem the phentermine is supposed to be solving. You could be drastically underestimating your food, but it sounds like something else is going on. I would definitely get a second opinion.
  • laura617
    Options
    I use both. I measure my liquids in cups and solids on the scale.

I have no issue getting a second opinion and think that a good idea that I will do.

I honestly appreciate any advice I can get but I do still want some opinions from anyone that has tried it as well.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I use both. I measure my liquids in cups and solids on the scale.

I have no issue getting a second opinion and think that a good idea that I will do.

I honestly appreciate any advice I can get but I do still want some opinions from anyone that has tried it as well.
    Every person that I knew of, friends and family members who have tried it, lost weight only to gain it all back plus some. Pills don't teach you anything, it keeps your hungry at bay, that's it.
  • laura617
    Options
    That really is one of my top concerns. Gaining back.
  • Serah87
    Options

I lost 121 pounds doing the slow and steady weight loss, took me 2 years and 9 months to do it, now been maintaining for 8 months now.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    In. ;)

OP when you stalled were you weighing your solid foods??.....measuring liquids??.....counting every bite you took?? If not, that's probably why you stalled you were eating at maintenance.

Taking pills, especially phentermine is never ever a good ideal.

READ THIS and forget the pills: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Pass the popcorn, please. :)

Popcorn-boom-Is-there-room-for-growth-competition.jpg
  • laura617
    Options
    That's really good to hear Serah and good job!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Where do you get your exercise burns from?

Do you ensure you are using correct entries for calories in? There's a lot of inaccurate entries in the database.
  • Serah87
    Options
    That's really good to hear Serah and good job!

Thank you. :)

If i can do it, so can you. Read the link above that I gave you and get started today!! Good luck. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You might try not eating back all of your exercise calories. They are often egregiously overstated.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Diet pills don't teach you portion control or moderation. They take away your appetite. So when you stop the pills, you gain the weight back because your hunger returns and you never learned how to practice portion control.

Honestly, the pills are not worth your time or money. You can lose weight naturally, through a simple calorie deficit. Since you weren't losing at 1800 calories, I would suggest lowering your calories to 1600. Make sure you are religiously using your food scale to weigh EVERYTHING you consume.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It just seems like there are other things you could try first, before the pills, if you are hesitant about them. Why not try 1600 calories without eating back your exercise calories for 6-8 weeks first? (Or even 1800 without eat-backs for 4 weeks, then take it to 1600 without eat-backs). The drop from 1800 to 1600 shouldn't be so extreme that it really ramps up your appetite, but it might be enough to get the scale moving again.
  • laura617
    Options
    I'm willing to try anything and I think that's what made me take the advice to use them but think I might at least stop and try the 1600 first and give the slow and steady a chance.
  • neesa11
    neesa11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good for you for tracking your food for so long. I think getting a second opinion is a good idea too. I have a lot of friends that have been working with their doctors to lose weight and I've never heard of any of them trying a medication. It is pretty odd that you haven't lost much if everything is being accurately recorded. The only thing I would suggest trying is strength training with weights... and I don't mean ab workouts. Try weighted squats or other weighted exercises that would give you more muscle mass in the big areas like glutes/quads