Decided to have "a beer" yesterday...logged in myfitnesspal...wow

Options
You really can't drink alcohol if you're trying to lose weight...too bad there isn't any alcohol out there with no calories.

This beer on the other hand, is basically an entire dinner...

I guess that's why beer was at one point in history, actually a method of getting calories/nutrition. Thesedays, it just gives you the calories though, without the nutrition!

kqwkuto2022q.jpg

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of less calorie dense beers out there of course...

i still drank when I lost my weight, albeit most of the time it was vodka and diet tonics. i only drink the real heavy beers in the winter...in the summer I prefer lagers and most of those come in around 130ish calories give or take.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Time to experiment with lower calorie alcohols!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You can drink beer and lose weight, although there are limitations on how much. Go ride a bike like a mutha for an hour and you can have three in most cases.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    In my weight loss journey I never gave up adult beverages. I just made sure they fit into my plan. And yes, there are lower calorie beers out there. If you want it for the taste, I suppose. If you want it for the buzz, prepare to pee. Diet and hard alcohol better bang for the calorie.
  • drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ah, but unfortunately, drinking those light beers is almost like drinking nothing (for me), in which case I usually just don't drink anything instead.

In order for me to get a "buzz", I need to drink 3-4 drinks. That screws the diet up big time, unless I just skipped entire meals...but that would surely leave me tired and pathetic for my workout the next day.

The answer, for me, is to just never drink alcohol, or maybe once a week.

So tempting in the evenings though, when I'm "bored" and I just want to relax and have a few drinks.

Might have to do some heavy research on the lowest calorie liquor (a google search or two).
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    Or, just not drink....damn you alcohol
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is not a good example of how you can lose weight while drinking beer. It's 12.5% abv, which is huge, AND it's a 22 ounce bomber. There are plenty of high quality beers out there with much lower abvs which can be enjoyed in moderation. I have a craft beer almost every night, and still lose or maintain as I'm planning.

I did have 750 ml of 10% abv imperial stout two weeks ago, and it was worth every calorie. I had to do a lot of biking to earn that one, though!

PS: Looks pretty pretty good based on untappd and RateBeer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Drink shots. Problem solved.
  • go4me1
    go4me1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*

With ya!!!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I swear alcohol is the reason why I went up one dress size in like 6 months. Apparently binging 3-4× a week isn't good for the waistline haha.

At least you know to cut back now!
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is not a good example of how you can lose weight while drinking beer. It's 12.5% abv, which is huge, AND it's a 22 ounce bomber. There are plenty of high quality beers out there with much lower abvs which can be enjoyed in moderation. I have a craft beer almost every night, and still lose or maintain as I'm planning.

I did have 750 ml of 10% abv imperial stout two weeks ago, and it was worth every calorie. I had to do a lot of biking to earn that one, though!

The bottle actually said 14%. It was quite good. Found it in a different smaller beer section at whole foods, different from the main beer walk in fridge.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Guinness my man...Guinness.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I gave up the booze while I was trying to lose weight. I actually gave up all beverages that were over 20 calories a glass because drinking your calories makes it harder to stick to your calories. I wasn't working out while I was losing so my calorie budget was super tight. When I was starving and had to choose between booze and food it was not really a hard choice.
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drink spirits! I drink maybe 10-12 vodkas a week and I haven't had a problem losing weight. I just don't drink as much as I used to and try to control what I eat on the hangover day.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

The bottle actually said 14%. It was quite good. Found it in a different smaller beer section at whole foods, different from the main beer walk in fridge.

Damn!

What does Utah beer have in common with sex in a canoe?

They're both f@*king close to water! :D
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    I swear alcohol is the reason why I went up one dress size in like 6 months. Apparently binging 3-4× a week isn't good for the waistline haha.

Binging is fun, but the fun quickly goes away the next day. For me, it not only adds calories to my day, but also makes me not want to work out the next day. It's a lose-lose situation, for me!

A friend once told me, drinking is like stealing happiness from the next day.
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Guinness has 125 calories. Best low cal beer out there
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Binging is fun, but the fun quickly goes away the next day. For me, it not only adds calories to my day, but also makes me not want to work out the next day. It's a lose-lose situation, for me!

A friend once told me, drinking is like stealing happiness from the next day.

That's an awesome quote :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A small glass of red wine a few times a week or a vodka tonic with diet tonic water does it for me. I don't drink out of boredom. I drink because I teach junior high.