the correct way to lower barbells after squats

Options
Hi..

Anyone has any links or information on how to lower the barbell from the back when done with the squat?

I increased the weights but had some difficultly lowering it down, i think my technique was wrong and i am afraid i will hurt my back

Thanks!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Use a rack- put it back on the rack.

Unless you're over head pressing it- in which case you over head press it- bring it to the chest in the front fack position then drop back down- like a reverse clean/press.

But really just use a rack.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Rack it is by far the best way. Like JoRocka said, if that is not an option then you will have to overhead press it back to the front side and reverse clean from there.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Step forward and lower it onto the rack.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, find a rack... otherwise you will have to OHP it over your head back to your chest... which sounds dangerous after you're exhausted from squatting. Plus you should be taking breaks between sets and don't want to be standing around with a barbell on your back. Finally, for most of us, we eventually squat much more than we can OHP, so you really need a rack eventually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kayedence wrote: »
    Hi..

Anyone has any links or information on how to lower the barbell from the back when done with the squat?

I increased the weights but had some difficultly lowering it down, i think my technique was wrong and i am afraid i will hurt my back

Thanks!!

you should be using a squat rack...

if that's not an option you will have to press it and then reverse clean...eventually, this will cease to be an option as you will just tear your shoulders up with increased weight.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Step forward and lower it onto the rack.

This is what works for me as well.
  • kayedence
    kayedence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments.. But it is impossible for me to get a rack because this is during a class..
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    kayedence wrote: »
    Thank you all for the comments.. But it is impossible for me to get a rack because this is during a class..

That's unfortunately... I don't know why instructors think squatting like that is valuable. Since you don't have a choice, try doing a push press where you do a quick squat and then press up quickly with the momentum from the squat and then safely lower it down to your body and then to the ground.