Decided to have "a beer" yesterday...logged in myfitnesspal...wow

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is not a good example of how you can lose weight while drinking beer. It's 12.5% abv, which is huge, AND it's a 22 ounce bomber. There are plenty of high quality beers out there with much lower abvs which can be enjoyed in moderation. I have a craft beer almost every night, and still lose or maintain as I'm planning.

I did have 750 ml of 10% abv imperial stout two weeks ago, and it was worth every calorie. I had to do a lot of biking to earn that one, though!

PS: Looks pretty pretty good based on untappd and RateBeer.

The bottle actually said 14%. It was quite good. Found it in a different smaller beer section at whole foods, different from the main beer walk in fridge.

Seriously? 14% and 22 oz? Yeah, that's going to have some bite. I'm notorious for liking to get my drink on, and that's a woozy of a night for me....so, yeah. still a calorie bargain.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    in aus we have the first no carb beer, full strength at 4.5%

Its 60 cals a bottle

Goes down great on a hot day too
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Something's not right. 70 grams of carbs is only 280 calories.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You really can't drink alcohol if you're trying to lose weight.

Not true at all. I have a craft beer most days, and multiples on the weekend, plus various G&T's and margaritas, and have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. I don't get to get buzz like you do though, I just drink because I love the taste. There was that 8 pint day though, after running my first 5k.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I say plan for it. All the research says that weight loss only works in the long term (i.e you won't gain it back) when you can fit in things you like. I like wine with dinner. Not every night, but it's a good 150-250 calories when I do. I like a good beer or two once a week. We've got to be able to account for this stuff, and it seems like that is possible with a little planning.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Also-- I'm all for craft beer, but it looks like you chose one of the higher cal options. I'm not saying drink bud light (blech!), but you can drink a pint or two of really good beer for somewhat less than that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you can drink beer and still lose weight. I know that some Sam Adams comes in at at about 200 calories or less and if I am on the beach then yes I will drink bud light…

so your premise that you can't drink beer and lose weight is false, as I am down about ten pounds last three months.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Now you know....and knowing's half the battle.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Now you know....and knowing's half the battle.
    CBN4Dzo.png

Big news here: Surly is now available in Wisconsin!
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my cocktails and have never given them up while losing weight. I just calculate them into my plan. I also choose low calorie options. Michelob Ultra is a great beer! Very few calories.
    I also try to 'earn' my drinks. A little extra exercise. For example, I will be at soccer practice for an hour tonight so will enjoy a couple of cold beers after.
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I love craft beers but they are high in calories the only solution i have is to hit the gym hard the next day.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    O______O <--- is really my only reaction.

But thanks for the post. When I was tracking in my head, I always gave beers 250 cals per 12 oz and I thought I was being generous. I'm going to remember to pre-log when I splurge, for sure.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    To be fair, that is really high calories for a bottle of beer. I think you need to rethink your loyalty to that brand my friend.
  • slotten
    slotten Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ended up switching to Miller 64 beer. Tried Bud Select 55 and that was AWFUL!! 64 is ok compared to the Bud light I used to drink...has 1/2 the calories AND less alcohol, so I don't worry too much about over doing it. Of course I rarely drink and lately when I do, I have less than 300 calories of alcohol...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    But thanks for the post. When I was tracking in my head, I always gave beers 250 cals per 12 oz and I thought I was being generous. I'm going to remember to pre-log when I splurge, for sure.

For most craft beers, this is plenty. I drink a lot of IPA's, porters, and pale ales and I rare see a bottle come in over 225 cals per 12 oz.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to put this out there again:

Calories per fluid ounce~=2.5*abv

So for a 12 ounce pour of 7% abv, like an American IPA, you get 2.5*7*12 = 210 calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Ah, but unfortunately, drinking those light beers is almost like drinking nothing (for me), in which case I usually just don't drink anything instead.

In order for me to get a "buzz", I need to drink 3-4 drinks. That screws the diet up big time, unless I just skipped entire meals...but that would surely leave me tired and pathetic for my workout the next day.

The answer, for me, is to just never drink alcohol, or maybe once a week.

So tempting in the evenings though, when I'm "bored" and I just want to relax and have a few drinks.

Might have to do some heavy research on the lowest calorie liquor (a google search or two).

I didn't see anyone post this yet, but here's the data on calorie vs alcohol for getting drunk, not fat: http://getdrunknotfat.com/

To get a buzz you might need 3-4 drinks now... but when you're done losing weight it might be 1-2 drinks. I went from being fun drunk on a bottle of wine (25.4 oz) to getting there after 2-3 5 oz glasses (10-15 oz).

I also prepare for heavy drinking with heavy cardio. I can usually offset the calories. Alcohol often hurts weight loss and performance. Your body has to process the alcohol before it starts working on other things. There are some studies showing it blocks fat oxidation, which accelerates the rate at which your body stores body fat.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    @leggup is spot on. I'm a major light weight these days which is good.

It's also tricky. I have to watch my intake. This weekend I'm going to a beer festival. I suspect I'll be drinking a lot less than previous years (and looking better while doing it). :D
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You picked an absurd example of a beer to declare you cant drink beer while trying to lose weight...

There are plenty of <200 calorie flavorful craft beers. If you are drinking to get drunk, then don't bother with the good stuff. That is a waste.

If drinking to you means "stealing happiness from the next day" then you might want to rethink how much you drink. FWIW I drink a couple of pints a night, every single night. I never have issues the next day. I was even doing that when I was trying to cut weight. Just depends on what and how much...
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    once in a while , it doesn't hurt. Got to live to and not stop everything you love. All in moderation!!