Foood

Options
hi, I'm finding it a bit tough to make meals, I work shifts so need quick and easy food a lot of the time! Been living off cereal the last few days lol. Thanks in advance!

David x

Replies

• dlevans_59
    dlevans_59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi David,

On your days off make your meals ahead of time and then package them so they are ready to go when you are. For instance, when you can make yourself dinner at home, make enough for two or three days. Then package the leftovers so they are easy to take to work. It takes some planning, but well worth the effort. Good Luck

Donna
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for answers, you might need to ask a question!
  • terrier83
    terrier83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    dlevans_59 wrote: »
    Hi David,

On your days off make your meals ahead of time and then package them so they are ready to go when you are. For instance, when you can make yourself dinner at home, make enough for two or three days. Then package the leftovers so they are easy to take to work. It takes some planning, but well worth the effort. Good Luck

Donna

Ahh good idea thank you!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a rice cooker, invest in one. They run as cheap as $20 at Walmart/Target, and you can make way more than rice. I do pretty much all of my starchy carbs in them, as well as beans. Throw in some rice/quinoa/barley/whatever and some veggies, set it, walk away and do whatever for 20-30 minutes (like say, get ready for work) and when you're done you have a meal. Same goes for crockpots.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is your friend! Look into freezer-friendly recipes. You should be able to get 3-6 or more portions made all at once. One can go in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I like to have 4 choices in my freezer, plus chicken breasts and frozen veggies. I pack my lunch in the morning, but if I was pressed for time I would be pulling from the freezer for that also.

~Lyssa
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Crock pots are your friend.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As a couple of earlier posters suggested if you're short on meal prep time on a day-today basis you need to either put a little of your freetime (weekends or whenever you have a little time off to yourself) into batch cooking (make a large pot of 1 or different 2 meals and and freeze in meal-sized portions to re-heat through the week). OR pop your ingredients into a slow-cooker and bob it on before work and you'll come home to a hot meal.
  • maria76l
    maria76l Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely cooking batches of meals ahead of time and popping in the freezer is your best option David, I'm home in the day so don't have this problem but my husband works odd shifts so he has things made up ahead of time or takes a salad which are quick to make up.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    This one works wonders for me.
    you need:

Crockpot
    3lb. bag of chicken
    TWO small bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce, or salsa, or hot sauce, or ONE large jar.

Throw everything in crockpot, on LOW HEAT, for 8-9 hours. After that time, get chicken out, drain excess sauce off, and throw it all in a big container. Now, you can leave the breasts whole, or shred them and throw it on rice, a tortilla, or on veggies, or however you want. Should last the week for you.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    maria76l wrote: »
    Definitely cooking batches of meals ahead of time and popping in the freezer is your best option David, I'm home in the day so don't have this problem but my husband works odd shifts so he has things made up ahead of time or takes a salad which are quick to make up.

Meal planning this way is really the best way I've found to eat healthy. Taking with you whole fruits and veggies are also quick and healthy add ons.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    slow cook food so that it's ready for you when you get home
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make some low cal vegetable soups in the crock put to put in the fridge. Make rice for the week and put in fridge. During the week eat with a small pork chop or low fat hamburger.