jogging vs running

Options
I'm 59 have been walking regularly 15 miles a week but now I think its a good time to start running should I just jog or run at a little quicker pace?

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Jogging first build up go by how you feel
  • dcaldwell446
    dcaldwell446 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Whether it's running or jogging depends on your speed. Take baby steps if you've never run before. Go to an actual store that specializes in running shoes to be fitted for the appropriate sneakers. That will mean the difference between an enjoyable experience and absolutely destroying your body. And, if needed, ice your shins down after the first few times. Try a walk/run program where you build up to being able to run without stopping.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I tried running a couple of months ago, and couldn't sustain it for more than a few minutes at a time. But last month I tried jogging, and have been doing it every day since. I started at 4.8 mph, for 10 minutes, with a goal of doing 30 minutes straight. Now I do 5 mph, for 45 minutes straight. Start at a reasonable pace and you'll work your way up to where you're comfortable, yet sweating like crazy. :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the title, "jogging vs running". It is just a different name for the same thing.

Whatever you call it, the activity is a good cardio exercise. Don't overdo it, avoid injury, and it can be a lifetime activity.

When walking you always have at least one foot on the ground. When running/jogging there is a brief period during each stride when both feet are off the ground.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Apparently 'running' is defined (by a local running club mind you!) as doing a 8-9minute mile whilst 'jogging' is running a mile in 11-13 minutes. Not sure where I fall as I do a mile cross country in average of 10.5 minutes and a mile on the road in about 9.5 minutes!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    Apparently 'running' is defined (by a local running club mind you!) as doing a 8-9minute mile whilst 'jogging' is running a mile in 11-13 minutes. Not sure where I fall as I do a mile cross country in average of 10.5 minutes and a mile on the road in about 9.5 minutes!

That is just elitist runner talk. There is no mechanical difference between running at 11 minutes and running at 8 minutes. There is a definite mechanical difference with walking.

I wonder what the running club elitists call it if you are faster than 8 minutes per mile?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

That is just elitist runner talk. There is no mechanical difference between running at 11 minutes and running at 8 minutes. There is a definite mechanical difference with walking.

I wonder what the running club elitists call it if you are faster than 8 minutes per mile?
    This. General consensus is that they are pretty much the same thing. OP, if you want to start running, the best advice is to start off very slowly (and get good shoes!). There is an app called C25K (couch 2 5K) that a lot of people here have had good success with. There is a group here somewhere for it too. Good luck!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    3d539ca3997f543eae772457c0399efd.jpg
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 have been walking regularly 15 miles a week but now I think its a good time to start running should I just jog or run at a little quicker pace?

Beginners should start at an easy pace. See point 6 of this guide:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/running-101
  • TeresaPSJ
    TeresaPSJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ha agreed! I always thought the jogging title was for those 'runs' that were, well, for looks. If you are out there working, sweating, increasing your heart rate, and doing what you can, you are running.

Or as an old running partner used to say, 'if I've got my running shoes on and I'm moving faster than a walk, I'm running. Shuttup.'

It's effort, not speed. Some of us will never see an 8 minute mile again; I know I won't. But I will see 20, 26, 30 miles again.
  • glevinso
    Options

Yea this. I go by my pic linked above. The difference between "jogging" and "running" to me is a state of mind, not a speed. I know people who are "joggers" who run 9 minute miles. I know people who I would call "runners" who can barely make 12 minute miles.

Not that I feel the need to put people in buckets like this - but to me "jogging" is exercise. Something you do because you feel like you need to get in shape or something. Running is something you do because you love to be out doing it. You do it because you love running, not because you feel like you have to do it.
  • TeresaPSJ
    TeresaPSJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well said beemerphile
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I also have been walking for a while. (50yo) Last night on my walk, with the dog, I couldn't get my heartrate up during the walk so I jogged for about a minute and up shot my h.r. to where I wanted it... I will now include short jogs during my walks to get more cardio work.
    (of course in an area nobody could see me...hehe)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the day. I walk/jog/run or a combination of all three when I go out. I base it on how I feel. Some days it is all walking others it is all jogging. Most of my all running or mostly running days are saved for races. Have Fun that is the most important thing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

oh good I only have a 13 min mile, but that's me at the stop lights
  • glevinso
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

oh good I only have a 13 min mile, but that's me at the stop lights

I say you qualify for "runner" then :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure joggers wear headbands. That's the rule I always heard.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure joggers wear headbands. That's the rule I always heard.

I often wear a head band when I run in the dark. I guess that makes me a jogger. :o

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

So agree...it's just a way to put people down. Jogging=running. Running speeds vary person to person.