white bread vs wheat bread ??? help

Options
Does it really matter ????? I love bread but ppl always say that it will get you fat ... Is this true ??? Or as long as your below your calories ? Thank you

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Whether you eat white bread, wheat bread, or no bread.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Bread is something that is easy to overindulge on for many people as well as being less "bang" for their calorie "buck," if you will.

As long as you're under your calories and have no medical conditions, eat all the bread you like!

~Lyssa
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Not true. Whole wheat generally has more protein, B vitamins and fibre, and might be more satiating, but for weight loss, it's the calories that matter. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of what you eat.
  • JamesSmedley01
    JamesSmedley01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No this will not make you fat. Dieting is very simple if your losing weight. To lose weight you need to eat less than your maintenance calorie intake. Certain food will be beneficial to your health however you are only asking whether this will make you fat, so again no it won't.
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I swear I love this app and the fit community ! Thank you guys very much ...
  • stich0203
    stich0203 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really think we put too much emphasis on being in a caloric deficit than eating what is truly good for our bodies. Eating bleached white bread has less nutrients than whole grain would. I myself would skip the bread entirely and opt for some cuccumber slices and an egg but think about it. A handful of almonds and a glass of Pop have the same caloric value but I think it's an obvious statement that the almonds are a better choice. The almonds will give you energy for longer and takes longer to digest. The coke is sugar and will be processed quickly and converted to fat by your liver because there's not much in there for the body to use. Similarly, white bread has been bleached and much of its nutritional value lost. When you eat it, the body converts to sugar and again the liver processes quickly and converts the sugar to fat. At least with the whole grain, you'll get some nutrition from it and it won't be completely empty calories. Calories are not created equally!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat what bread you like and make sure that you stay in your calorie, macro, and micro targets.

overeating food makes you fat not white or wheat bread.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    stich0203 wrote: »
    I really think we put too much emphasis on being in a caloric deficit than eating what is truly good for our bodies. Eating bleached white bread has less nutrients than whole grain would. I myself would skip the bread entirely and opt for some cuccumber slices and an egg but think about it. A handful of almonds and a glass of Pop have the same caloric value but I think it's an obvious statement that the almonds are a better choice. The almonds will give you energy for longer and takes longer to digest. The coke is sugar and will be processed quickly and converted to fat by your liver because there's not much in there for the body to use. Similarly, white bread has been bleached and much of its nutritional value lost. When you eat it, the body converts to sugar and again the liver processes quickly and converts the sugar to fat. At least with the whole grain, you'll get some nutrition from it and it won't be completely empty calories. Calories are not created equally!

and here we go …

First - 100 calories of donuts = 100 calories of cucumbers from an energy standpoint. However, they are not the same nutritionally.

Second - you don't store fat in a caloric deficit, and your understand that " the body converts sugar ….to fat" is severely limited.

Third - There is nothing wrong with eating white bread in the context of an overall diet that is hitting micros and macros and staying within calorie targets.

please stop with this ridiculousness.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.
    Eat whatever fits in your goal and what you like.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Your body does not turn it into fat unless you're in a calorie surplus.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you want, OP.

Whether it's white bread or wheat bread, what matters is that it fits into your daily allotment.

Don't listen to the bunk about "all calories aren't created equal".
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the Atkin's bread. That stuff looks like bread but has no other properties of bread. It won't hold butter, it doesn't hold jam and it won't toast. I think they are actually scrap pieces of space shuttle tiles. You can heat them with a blow torch and watch them absorb heat without toasting. :laugh:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

@stich0203 - But what if I've already met all of my micro- and macro-nutrient targets and I have some spare calories leftover? Is it ok to have white bread then? Why does it immediately turn into fat? What if I ate it just before running a 5k? would it still turn into fat? Why does it matter if it turns into fat if I'm still at an overall deficit that day? Please explain yourself. Thanks. :blush:

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

As long as you aren't eating in excess of your caloric needs, the food you eat is used for energy, not converted to fat. While I agree that whole wheat is a more nutritious choice, if the OP has already met his fibre and vitamin goals and prefers white bread over wheat it won't do him any harm. Not every food choice has to be strictly nutrient driven, especially for those with fairly large calorie allowances.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »

@stich0203 - But what if I've already met all of my micro- and macro-nutrient targets and I have some spare calories leftover? Is it ok to have white bread then? Why does it immediately turn into fat? What if I ate it just before running a 5k? would it still turn into fat? Why does it matter if it turns into fat if I'm still at an overall deficit that day? Please explain yourself. Thanks. :blush:

yes @stich0203 please answer this….
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like bread - bakeries are wonderful places! I'm in the same boat as those who agree that, calorie-wise, there's little difference between white and whole wheat; but that if I'm going to "spend" calories, and, being short, my budget is small, I want as much value as possible for the calories. So, for that reason, I go for whole wheat or multigrain over white. However, I also like to read the labels to be sure of what I'm getting.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

All I can think of is trying to eat a peanut butter and banana on cucumber sandwich.

• Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    To me, I guess it depends on what kind of white bread you are talking about. If its a prepackaged Wonder bread kind, I would pass. Why waste calories on that soft, limpy, soggy stuff??? However, if is freshly baked crunchy crusty Italian, French or Portuguese bread, I might make sure to save calories for that, lol.

The problem with eating in a deficit is we are forced to choose what to have as treats. You just have to decide if its worth it, or if you have enough calories to cover it.

• sarahjeyoon
    sarahjeyoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Always look for wholegrain rather than just wheat because few of the "brown" bread that shops sell are white bread dye with malt etc. So that way, it might be just better to eat white :neutral:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Any variations in a bread's texture or color are matters of taste and preference. For nutritional purposes, bread is bread. Its property does not change because it has whole wheat or whatever in it and it does not become better for you. In other words, one kind of bread is only marginally better in a magical special way than another bread. Choose a bread because you like it.