obstacle races?

TexasNurseMom78
TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone done any of these types of events? Muddy Buddy, Hell Run or Tough Mudder? I know I am not a peak performance shape, but still think it would be fun to try one of these type of races. Don't want to win, just want to finish. THere is a Tough Mudder near me in october, sop that gives me time to train, but it looks really intimidating! Any advice would be apprecated!

Replies

• allmet99
    allmet99 Posts: 4
    I did the Rugged Maniac 5k on 5/14. That's a 3 mile race in the mud with obstacles, and for a person who has completed a half marathon before (although that was last November) it was still pretty hard. I would say that if you have never done something like that before, you might want to consider starting with something like the 3 mile race. If i'm not mistaken, the Tough Mudder is like a 10-12 mile race. I can see why you might be intimidated.

In response to the second part though, if it is in October, you do have the time to train. I actually think i'm going to do the Tough Mudder in October in Virginia. But don't take it lightly, you are really going to have to ramp up the mileage of your runs. You have got to be able to do the 10 mile regular runs "easy", and add in a bunch of unorthodox training. Its one thing to go 10 miles on a road. But truly another to go on trails, up hills, with wet and muddy shoes, over walls, jump into lakes or whatever.

I think you'll enjoy it, whatever you choose. I know i had a blast at the Rugged Maniac. Its quite a sense of accomplishment to finish. And I find that when i sign up for a race and pay the race fee, it is a real incentive to train (which is kind of the point anyways)

Hope this helps.
    Brian
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    I just did my first one last weekend. Rugged maniac 5k. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Surprised myself and did all the obstacles! I did it with other people which made it fun. Best advice, grab a friend, don't worry about anyone else...and laugh your butt off!!!! I can't wait to do another (although the 10 mile ones might be a bit much for me).
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    I am signed up to do a Warrior Dash in September. Tough Mudder is sort of the next level for me, maybe by next year but I know that I'm not in that good of shape yet! Having the Warrior Dash coming up gives me a lot of motivation to work out, plus I have a friend and her will-be husband doing it with me, so I have friends to train with too.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Just looked up Warrior Dash. That looks fun! Looks more my level right now and more like what I am looking for. THe one near me is in november.
This discussion has been closed.