breakfast

Options
Not really a breakfast eater, but what do you think is the healthier cereal to eat in the morning for weight loss, don't have time for cooking so want something quick and easy

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kellywaide wrote: »
    Not really a breakfast eater, but what do you think is the healthier cereal to eat in the morning for weight loss, don't have time for cooking so want something quick and easy

if you're not a breakfast eater don't eat it

healthier cereal what's that? what makes it healthy? How is it helping you meet your nutritional requirements and macros for the day?

It might be wonderful and filling .. but I don't know what it is I'm afraid

for 'weight loss' your focus should be on your calorie defecit across the week
  • kellywaide
    kellywaide Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok so is ok to just leave it out??
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Ok so is ok to just leave it out??

Yeah, no need to force yourself to eat breakfast.
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the whole breakfast is essential thing is now being discredited. If you want to be sure your metabolism has kicked off in the morning just get active.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    runrascal wrote: »
    Yeah - the whole breakfast is essential thing is now being discredited. If you want to be sure your metabolism has kicked off in the morning just get active.

sorry, but you don't even have to do that .. cos the metabolism doesn't stop.. ever .. well it does .. but then you'd be dead and wouldn't care much about weight loss (I hope)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The purpose of breakfast isn't to kick start your metabolism so much as it is to give you energy to complete your morning tasks and to control your hunger so you don't gorge yourself at lunch.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just have coffee for bfast. I eat a yogurt or fruit at about 10 am. My energy levels are fine and have lost weight on a caloric deficit. Personally for me, when I eat is not important as how much I eat.
  • drivenbonkers
    drivenbonkers Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I like to choose cereals that are about 110 calories per serving. Those ones are usually low in sugar, extra BONUS for me. Sugar is my hungry trigger.

I rotate my breakfast menus thru cereal/fruit, greek yogurts, toast, eggs, cheese and veggies

A quick (and satisfying) veggie and egg omlette does not take much time to cook, especially if the veggies are prepared and kept ready to go in the fridge.

• svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is essential and the most important meal of the day - please don't listen to the above posters! Your body needs fuel and energy to function at its best. You need to feed your body and your brain - recharging your body and brain makes your more efficient at just about everything! Think of it this way - when you wake up, you haven't fed your body for 6-8 hours - you are running on fumes. The Harvard School of Public Health found that regularly skipping breakfast increases your risk of heart attack and heart disease by 25%. Also, when you skip breakfast, weight control become more difficult - you are more likely to nibble or reach for foods that are not as good for you. So, please don't skip breakfast! I didn't used to be a breakfast eater either, but I feel so much better now that I eat it. You can find a multitude of healthy cereals out there - just accurately measure your portions. I eat oatmeal regularly and eggs. There are a lot of fast easy dishes you can make with oatmeal and eggs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Breakfast is essential and the most important meal of the day - please don't listen to the above posters! Your body needs fuel and energy to function at its best. You need to feed your body and your brain - recharging your body and brain makes your more efficient at just about everything! Think of it this way - when you wake up, you haven't fed your body for 6-8 hours - you are running on fumes. The Harvard School of Public Health found that regularly skipping breakfast increases your risk of heart attack and heart disease by 25%. Also, when you skip breakfast, weight control become more difficult - you are more likely to nibble or reach for foods that are not as good for you. So, please don't skip breakfast! I didn't used to be a breakfast eater either, but I feel so much better now that I eat it. You can find a multitude of healthy cereals out there - just accurately measure your portions. I eat oatmeal regularly and eggs. There are a lot of fast easy dishes you can make with oatmeal and eggs.

While I fell into the "more likely to nibble" category when I didn't eat breakfast--the above posters are correct. Not everyone wants to or can eat in the morning. There are people who fast for 16-20 hours before they eat and they have no problems.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

You're wrong I'm afraid - please read up on the topic before giving wrong, but well-meaning advice

Meal timing is a personal choice .. that's all
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You're wrong I'm afraid - please read up on the topic before giving wrong, but well-meaning advice

Actually, I'm not...but have a great day!
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options

yes you are!

... your turn (bring science)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Did a bit of research on that study from Harvard...

"The new study, published July 22 in the journal Circulation, found that these men also indulged more heavily in other unhealthy lifestyle choices. They were more likely to smoke, engage in less exercise and drink alcohol."

http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

I have a feeling that not having breakfast is more likely to be a result of those things, rather than those things being a result of not having breakfast, if there is any causation between them. I'd also be willing to bet that a good fraction of the people in the 'healthy' group that eats breakfast probably does so because of the idea that breakfast is good for you, whereas the people that smoke, drink and don't exercise probably don't care as much.

Either way, some people are just better off eating their food at other times. When I was a teenager I used to feel really ill all day when I ate breakfast. My parents made me eat it for a bit, then as they stopped focusing on that so much I felt much better on the mornings when I didn't have breakfast. I now feel horrible in the mornings if I don't have breakfast. Different people's bodies work differently at different parts of their lives.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

OP - disregard this as most of it is false.

Everyone else has covered the facts. It's preferential. If you like it, eat it. If you need it, eat it. If you suffer from energy problems in the morning due to needing food, eat it. If it helps you stay in your calorie goals, eat it. If none of this applies and you just don't like eating breakfast....don't.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Compelling. I may have to reconsider.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Did a bit of research on that study from Harvard...

"The new study, published July 22 in the journal Circulation, found that these men also indulged more heavily in other unhealthy lifestyle choices. They were more likely to smoke, engage in less exercise and drink alcohol."

http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

I have a feeling that not having breakfast is more likely to be a result of those things, rather than those things being a result of not having breakfast, if there is any causation between them. I'd also be willing to bet that a good fraction of the people in the 'healthy' group that eats breakfast probably does so because of the idea that breakfast is good for you, whereas the people that smoke, drink and don't exercise probably don't care as much.

Either way, some people are just better off eating their food at other times. When I was a teenager I used to feel really ill all day when I ate breakfast. My parents made me eat it for a bit, then as they stopped focusing on that so much I felt much better on the mornings when I didn't have breakfast. I now feel horrible in the mornings if I don't have breakfast. Different people's bodies work differently at different parts of their lives.

Most of the studies showing that breakfast is important boil down to the same thing: People who are already healthier have a tendency to be more structured about their eating, and through that have a tendency to eat breakfast.

None have ever shown that eating breakfast makes you healthier.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

No, you are definitely wrong because you aren't bringing in the context of total diet. There is NO metabolic or other requirement for breakfast. If you look at any of the harvard studies it suggest those who don't eat breakfast tend to make poorer choices throughout the day. In a controlled environment like MFP, that tends to not be an issue. And even outside of MFP, that only affects those who "require" breakfast. Some people, like my wife, naturally, cannot eat breakfast as it upsets their stomach. So eating later in the day is a much better approach to eating healthier foods.

Please keep in mind, there are no absolutes in health and fitness. So saying that you have to eat breakfast is a bit ridiculous. For the OP, who doesn't enjoy eating early, breakfast will probably cause an increase in calorie intake consumption as she will still want her average intake later in the day.