FitBit

Options
Does anyone use something like a fitbit? Are they helpful? And are there cheaper alternatives? Thanks!

Replies

• crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit Charge HR, it seems to work well for me. If anything it helps keep me motivated to be more active. Plus the vibrating alarm to wake up to is a wonderful thing. I haven't heard an annoying alarm in the morning since I've had mine. I am sure there are cheaper alternatives but the Fitbit has a great app and website and is very easy to use and sync with MFP
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using a pedometer, but I plan on getting a Fit Bit One. A pedometer has made such a big difference for me in terms of weight loss. It motivates me to move more and be a couch potato less.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and have worn it for nearly 18 months. Its a useful tool, at least for me, in that it put a value to my activity level. Made me see/admit how inactive I was.

There are many activity trackers on the market. Ranging in price. The most basic Fitbit is $50-60 and it goes up from there. I have not price shopped other trackers, but I imagine they're similar in low to high options.

My husband had a Polar Loop tracker for a while, but he was really jealous of all the social 'stuff' with my Fitbit. A big online community, challenges, lots of stats, badges, etc. I've never had problems with mine - and the hubby/kids have only had theirs for a few weeks. But I've heard great things with Fitbit customer service when it comes to problems.

Last thought is that from reading different reviews, Fitbit tends to come out on top of rankings/ratings.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Oh - in terms of $ - it can pay for itself over time. There are many sites that link to Fitbit (possibly other tracker brands, but I don't know for sure) and earn $ or rewards points. Just a few:

Pact: app for iphone, Android where you make commitments and pay a penalty if you don't keep them. Or make $ each week when you do. Withdraw by Paypal.

Walgreens: get rewards points each month for steps; use in store

Fitstudio: earn ShopYourWay points good at Sears, Kmart for about $5 a week
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit surge. I find it useful. I might have a different oppinion if I didn't get it as a gift.

But it tracks a lot of things and with negative adjustments in mfp turned on it motivated me to be more active. Seeing -500kj of exercise looks bad.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip is like $59. Jawbone moves is $49, I believe. Both have apps that link back to MFP.
    Your android or iphone can act as a pedometer with an app such as Pacer. It also links back to MFP.
    Pedometers (including Yamax pedometers) can be found in the sub $30 range.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fitbit zip

love it

wouldn't be without it

downgraded from a flex .. wouldn't use one of the HRM ones as there is no logic behind monitoring HR across the day as I don't have a heart condition .. and it certainly wouldn't give me a better TDEE than I currently get from my Fitbit, over-ridden by my Polar HRM for workouts
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    apinto2011 wrote: »
    Does anyone use something like a fitbit? Are they helpful? And are there cheaper alternatives? Thanks!

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I lost the weight & maintained for almost a year. The cheapest model is US$60—but you can get them cheaper used.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge, and I love it. I use it daily. I went for a short period of time (like a couple of days) without a Fitbit when I lost my last one, and I hated my life. haha. I definitely think it's worth the price.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Zip a couple weeks ago and it has made me realize I didn't walk as much as I thought I did, and has thus motivated me to move more because I don't like seeing the red. I like the zip because I hook it on my bra when I get dressed and then I don't have to worry about it and nobody can tell I'm wearing it. I love checking the app throughout the day to see where I am, it is definitely my favorite new toy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Love my Fitbit One, had the Flex before that and hubby has the Charge - they're a great incentive/motivator to get moving and I wouldn't be without mine either.
    Its helped me boost my steps which were on average 8000 before Fitbit and now I average 20000 a day. Its a great tool for me in maintenance and I find the burn/TDEE figure to be accurate :smile:

oh and I link mine with an app called bounts.it and earn shopping vouchers for just getting my steps in :smiley: win win!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit and my wife loves hers
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    fitbit zip

love it

wouldn't be without it

downgraded from a flex .. wouldn't use one of the HRM ones as there is no logic behind monitoring HR across the day as I don't have a heart condition .. and it certainly wouldn't give me a better TDEE than I currently get from my Fitbit, over-ridden by my Polar HRM for workouts

I love my Fitbit Zip. I got it on sale for $47 incl tax and then had a Best Buy gift card, so it was technically free. Other than my iPod Shuffle for workouts, it's the best thing I bought myself. I'm easily motivated by the challenges and the dashboard.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Other than my iPod Shuffle for workouts, it's the best thing I bought myself. I'm easily motivated by the challenges and the dashboard.

I forgot to mention Fitbit challenges. They're great motivation—and fun!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Charge (non-HR) and I love it. I wear it pretty much 24/7. It automatically tracks sleep which is pretty neat. I'm more aware of how much I move when I am wearing it.
  • nanabevan
    nanabevan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. I love mine and also love the challenges. Keeps you motivated.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ive got a fitbit surge, wouldnt without it.. Since wearing it I park in furthest spot available in works car park, and now walk round the lake every lunch time (and sometimes before work now as well)... and ive never been one for walking the lake! I also have daily challenges with friends, and the definitley encourages me to move more. I know exactly where I am calories wise and know that if I've got a something coming up thats meaning Im taking more calories onboard (normally a night out with the lads) I need to put the exercise in to earn it. Id highly recommend the Surge, but only if you want GPS capability, otherwise go for the charge HR or flex.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I bought a Charge HR for a birthday 8 weeks ago and it has not left my wrist except to shower. I love this thing. It keeps me motivated.
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge HR & loved it at 1 point. I still wear it daily & actually don't feel right without, but I've lost some motivation to keep up with exercising & eating right. I like when I know I've reached my goals for the day though.