How to cut out a lot of carbs.. Need advice.

Options
My favorite thing to eat is bread and pasta. I would like to cut it out and find some other alternatives. I found that cutting out bread and pasta I saw more results.... But idk where to start. I'm having a hard time this time around.

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    While cutting out pasta and bread isn't necessary for weight loss if you stay within your calorie goal, if you feel like it is something that is helpful to you, you could try using a spiralizer to make vegetable "noodles" (zucchini is a popular choice), and you could use things like lettuce leaves or kale for sandwiches.

I have to be honest, though; if bread and pasta are your favourite things to eat, I think you'd be better off just planning around them and allowing yourself moderate portions. I think a plan that involves avoiding your favourites will be miserable and probably unsustainable in the long term. Try just staying under your calorie goal first; you might be pleasantly surprised to find you can fit in bread and pasta, just maybe in smaller portions than before, or not quite as often.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I switched from having a sandwich at lunch every day to having a salad with protein in it most days. I still have sandwiches occasionally. That's one way to decrease the amount of bread. Eating something besides bread for breakfast also (if that's when you eat bread). Also do you have both bread and pasta for dinner in one meal? If so, try having one or the other and adding in more veggies or protein. Perhaps just reduce the portion size of your pasta, or have it four nights a week instead of seven, etc. etc. many ways to reduce but not eliminate the amount you eat. If it what you love, you won't be happy not eating them at all.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Former pizza addict here (bread and pasta were also loved). I had to go cold turkey. Cut out all grains and junk carbs. You need to do it long enough so that it becomes a habit. After 1-2 months, you'll be on autopilot. You'll find the cravings go away.

Any attempt at "moderation" or an occasional "cheat" will doom you to failure.

Key to success: eat low-carb food you already love. Eggs, meats, veggies, nuts, cheese, even DARK chocolate.

Results: you will probably lose weight effortlessly. Without hunger. But you may find all sort of side-benefits you didn't even expect. You won't know till you try. :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Former pizza addict here (bread and pasta were also loved). I had to go cold turkey. Cut out all grains and junk carbs. You need to do it long enough so that it becomes a habit. After 1-2 months, you'll be on autopilot. You'll find the cravings go away.

Key to success: eat low-carb food you already love. Eggs, meats, veggies, nuts, cheese, even DARK chocolate.

Results: you will probably lose weight effortlessly. Without hunger. But you may find all sort of side-benefits you didn't even expect. You won't know till you try. :)

This may be true for you, but "doom you to failure" is a bit hyperbolic, especially given that so many of the very successful MFP members lost their weight while eating their favourite foods in moderation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This may be true for you, but "doom you to failure" is a bit hyperbolic, especially given that so many of the very successful MFP members lost their weight while eating their favourite foods in moderation.

^^this.
  • NutritionalLog
    NutritionalLog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've also been wanting to reduce my carbohydrates. Tho; what I've been experimenting with recently is eating strictly fruits & vegetables. I must admit I've lost a few pounds but more importantly I feel healthier.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    OK, some people can eat these things in moderation. Probably even most people. But for others, the signals for satiety are pretty weak when it comes to this type of food. I was one of those. Pizza was just too damn good. Caloric content didn't matter -- I'd scarf down most of a large pizza.

If you're like me, you'll know it, and only cold turkey worked for me. If you're "normal" and can easily eat carbs in moderation, don't assume everybody else can too. If you're overweight, you're probably like me. If you have high triglycerides, you're probably like me.
  • kikomansauce
    kikomansauce Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The thing is, if you want to cut out the carbs, but love pasta and bread(which I do too <3) then you have to make sure to do it in moderation. I say that because if you cut out the carbs and then have a day of just a bit of "over-carbing" you're going to feel awfully bloated and exhausted and just plain sucky. You could cut out the carbs almost completely if you want. But unless you're fine with cutting out pasta and bread out of your diet almost completely for the long term, you should do it in moderation.

Adjust your diet, get healthy, and conclude with being able to eat what you want from time to time but still be healthy!

If you want to do it in moderation: I limit myself to 50g - 70g of carbs a day.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Japanese shirataki noodles
    Spaghetti Squash with Marinara
    Japchae (Korean Stir-Fried Sweet Potato Noodles)
    Portabello Mushroom Pizzas
    Mac-and-Cheese-Style Cauliflower

Search the internet for "low carb alternative to pasta" lots of information. Personally, I'm not on low carb diet. So I have not tried these, but seeing them on the net they looked good. I think I'm going to try the mushroom pizza and the Mac-and-Cheese-Style Cauliflower
  • ljspoor
    ljspoor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato and Wholegrain rice, nothing else :P Haha I live of these. I have 3sets of carbs a day, oatibix for breakfast, then sweet potato for lunch and rice for dinner vice versa.
  • fitmum2be
    fitmum2be Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to cut out a lot of bread, pasta, flour and all gluten as i have ibs it effects me pretty badly as much as i do love them. So far ive developed a love for cauli n broccoli i can make rice dishes if i process it up, put it with cheese sauce when my kids have mac n cheese and you can even make pizza bases with it!. Haven't tried that as yet but it looks really good! My favourite is roasting it gives the cauli a nice nutty flavour.
    Good luck!! :smiley:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Maybe learn portion control and moderation?when I first started I felt like i couldn't practice portion control either but in time, i finally got it down.
  • NoelleRondini
    NoelleRondini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Your replies were great! I've cut back on a lot of let's call it "bored eating" when I'm home by myself I would just nip pick at anything in the house multiple times a day, (chips, cookies, ect.) when we order pizza, I can eat half a large, I don't even know where it goes cause I'm only 5'1 @ 186lbs. (Most of my weight I gained during pregnancy) haha, but I guess I will just have to try to cut it out cold turkey. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Your replies were great! I've cut back on a lot of let's call it "bored eating" when I'm home by myself I would just nip pick at anything in the house multiple times a day, (chips, cookies, ect.) when we order pizza, I can eat half a large, I don't even know where it goes cause I'm only 5'1 @ 186lbs. (Most of my weight I gained during pregnancy) haha, but I guess I will just have to try to cut it out cold turkey. :)

OR.... You could try accurately logging every single thing that you eat, seeing how it all adds up, and find ways to fit the foods you enjoy into your day. Eat 2 pieces of pizza with a salad, rather than half a large. Pre logging food before you eat it helps many people plan their days and avoid the mindless snacking that you describe.

Are you currently weighing and logging all your food? If not, you may want to try that for a period before going the extreme restriction route.
  • charlotte2001mfp
    charlotte2001mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before it gets too hot in here, you might want to check out this article:

https://psychologytoday.com/blog/the-happiness-project/201210/are-you-abstainer-or-moderator

YMMV, of course, but I've found it to be a very helpful concept.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Wah?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Before it gets too hot in here, you might want to check out this article:

https://psychologytoday.com/blog/the-happiness-project/201210/are-you-abstainer-or-moderator

YMMV, of course, but I've found it to be a very helpful concept.

That's a great article.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat is bread and pasta. I would like to cut it out and find some other alternatives. I found that cutting out bread and pasta I saw more results.... But idk where to start. I'm having a hard time this time around.

It depends on what the problem is.

Is it that you are so used to eating bread and pasta that you can't imagine what to eat if not that? If so, I'd say think of your meals as involving protein, veggies, and some kind of additional food (fruit, dairy, starchy carbs including bread and pasta) and design them based on the amount of carbs you want. If for some reason I want to cut the calories of my meal, I often substitute a second or third non-starchy vegetable for the starchier portion of the meal. But the trick here is that you don't want calories too low, so if you cut carbs make sure you add to the other parts of the meal--largely the protein and fat portions.

Or, is it that you miss these foods if you don't eat them? If so, I'd work on including them in smaller portions or less frequently (having a sandwich for lunch sometimes, not always; having pasta for dinner occasionally and keeping the pasta serving in check).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    OK, some people can eat these things in moderation. Probably even most people. But for others, the signals for satiety are pretty weak when it comes to this type of food. I was one of those. Pizza was just too damn good. Caloric content didn't matter -- I'd scarf down most of a large pizza.

If you're like me, you'll know it, and only cold turkey worked for me. If you're "normal" and can easily eat carbs in moderation, don't assume everybody else can too. If you're overweight, you're probably like me. If you have high triglycerides, you're probably like me.

I think it's a huge leap to say that most overweight people are like you. I vehemently disagree. You asked people not to assume and then that is exactly what you did.

I am glad you found what works for you, but I think it is not the norm. Most people can do moderation and be very successful. In fact it is often the key to healthy sustainable weight loss.

For me, I don't do as well with moderation and with cheat meals. So I make different choices, but I don't assume what works personally for me is what others should do. I also realize that for most moderation is a great and healthy choice.

+1

For me, "cheat meals" aren't a problem and the kind of food isn't an issue (even though I was obese at one point). What helps me moderate my intake overall is controlling eating times. I have poor satiety signals--for any food, not just carbs--and yet usually tend to feel hungry due to emotional reasons, not physical ones, so hunger itself isn't really an issue. Thus, I find I overeat if I let myself snack throughout the day. I eat well and within my calories happily (most of the time) if I limit food to mealtime only (which could include a dessert also).

And like you said, I don't assume what works for me works for anyone else--some people find snacking helpful.