I'm starving…...

Options
Diets seem to suck and I'm starving. I'm tired of being overweight but when I diet I'm still hungry. Help…….I'm trying a new diet with my doctor. I have so many questions for him but don't want to bother him all the time and most of my friends are overweight and not dieting the way I am.

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What type of diet has your doctor put you on? Do you have any flexibility in what you can choose to eat? You don't have to be hungry if you choose the right kinds of food. If you want advice, please give us some more info about what you are eating :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What "diet" has your doctor recommended?

If you're starving you could be a) limiting calories too much, b) making poor food choices. You can make choices that give you more satisfaction in terms of "hunger". Are you eating enough protein and fat? What type of carbs are you eating? If you're choosing calorie dense carbs you won't get a lot of volume....make better choices for more food!

At some point, you are going to feel hungry when you're dieting. If you're eating less calories than your body needs it's going to complain a little. Hungry isn't bad. Find something else to occupy yourself and keep your mind elsewhere!
  • afoolandhercupcakewillsoonpart
    Options
    Its a low carb, high fat and protein diet. I think I'm in ketosis right now. I'm shaking, hungry and feel exhausted. I actually went over my caloric intake last night….it was almost 1900 calories and I'm supposed to have 1300. I have low leptin so I will always feel hungry. Are there any doctors on this site? Lol. Thank you for responding.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What is the diet you're on? You shouldn't be starving, maybe a bit hungry at first but not starving. Do you have limitations as to what you can eat? If not, maybe having some more veggies etc will help? You can eat A LOT of vegetables and keep under your calorie count if that's what you're going for.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Its a low carb, high fat and protein diet. I think I'm in ketosis right now. I'm shaking, hungry and feel exhausted. I actually went over my caloric intake last night….it was almost 1900 calories and I'm supposed to have 1300. I have low leptin so I will always feel hungry. Are there any doctors on this site? Lol. Thank you for responding.

If you've only just started, you will go through a period of feeling like absolute poo. Like you could curl up and die. It does get better. Are you getting enough salt and water?
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Your body will go through a "Detox" Period and you will feel like crap but then your body will readjust and kick over .... how long have you been doing paleo ?
    Options
    Have any of you felt exhausted from these types of diets? Have you ever been on a diet like this? I generally eat eggs, chicken, turkey and fish. For lunch I will eat salads and 1 piece of fruit then my carbs are gone just like that. I can only have 50 carbs a day so this is this is almost agony. Anyone that is overweight and is accustomed to eating cupcakes and devil dogs can relate. I was always overweight but this winter I joined the obese club. When you have hormonal issues, need to take steroids for breathing and have SAD, you will join the obese club whether you like it or not. Now I want to get the heck out of that club……Thank you for listening.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Have any of you felt exhausted from these types of diets? Have you ever been on a diet like this? I generally eat eggs, chicken, turkey and fish. For lunch I will eat salads and 1 piece of fruit then my carbs are gone just like that. I can only have 50 carbs a day so this is this is almost agony. Anyone that is overweight and is accustomed to eating cupcakes and devil dogs can relate. I was always overweight but this winter I joined the obese club. When you have hormonal issues, need to take steroids for breathing and have SAD, you will join the obese club whether you like it or not. Now I want to get the heck out of that club……Thank you for listening.

I had to do low carb a few weeks ago for a couple of weeks at the start of my comp prep. Day two I struggled to think, move, function. My head was thumping, I wanted to be sick, I could barely open my eyes. It got a whole lot better after that! The only carbs I had were from green vegies.

Options
    So this hell I'm experiencing is called Paleo? Lol. I didn't know what the heck it was. Thank you. I started last week and fell off the wagon over the weekend when I had a Baby Ruth (so good), fruit and a whole bag of candy corn I forgot I had (Smores….they were good too). It is so hard to adjust to this. I've never been much of a meat eater and I'm beginning to wonder if my lab results were off because even though I eat, I eat poorly and maybe malnourished. I love my goodies. This is so hard. I've never been obese before….Overweight, yes. Obese..no.
    Options
    The carbs I'm eating are basically from fruit and vegetables. I can't eat legumes or soy products but I fell off the wagon this morning and had Hot and Sour soup. I truly forgot I wasn't supposed to eat soy until I ate it all. I'm still shaking though so I don't know what the heck is going on with my body right now.
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So this hell I'm experiencing is called Paleo? Lol. I didn't know what the heck it was. Thank you. I started last week and fell off the wagon over the weekend when I had a Baby Ruth (so good), fruit and a whole bag of candy corn I forgot I had (Smores….they were good too). It is so hard to adjust to this. I've never been much of a meat eater and I'm beginning to wonder if my lab results were off because even though I eat, I eat poorly and maybe malnourished. I love my goodies. This is so hard. I've never been obese before….Overweight, yes. Obese..no.

Low carb =/= Paleo. It sounds like, like you indicated in your earlier post, that you're doing Keto. I'm not an expert on Keto diet/Ketosis (little extreme for me), but there's a lot of people on here who can point you in the right direction.

Paleo involves more than low carb, it refers to eating less processed, unrefined foods, that were available in the Paleolithic period. It's also referred to as the "caveman diet". No flour, added sugar, etc. There are a lot of rules on what's allowed.

Question OP: Is this your first time trying to lose weight? Are you new to calorie counting and dieting? IMO, it's a lifestyle change, and extreme diets aren't the best way to kick that off.

Options
    It is probably Paleo because I can't have any sugar, honey, agave, bread, soy/soy products but I can have lots of meat and fat. I sincerely feel like a wild animal eating all of this meat. Are you on this diet? Will I ever be able to eat like a normal human being again or will I have to be a carnivore the rest of my life? I would love to ask the doctor these questions but I can't afford him anymore. My insurance sucks and my co-pays are expensive for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

No, you're not doing Paleo.

You may love your goodies, but do you love being obese? You can keep doing what you're doing, and get bigger, or make changes and change your body for the better. It may be hard, but there are likely things more difficult due to being obese.
    Options
    You are right. Thank you. I know I can't eat the goodies anymore but it is really hard. Years ago and back in high school, I was bulimic….I would starve, exercise profusely and take laxatives/water pills. It's amazing I didn't die. I was 97 pounds and everyone said I "looked good". Excuse me for saying this but what the hell did they know? I also had issues with low blood sugar so when I shake, I get nervous. A big part of me wants to at least be an overweight normal but another part of me is scared **#@less. I sincerely thank you all for listening and responding.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    You are right. Thank you. I know I can't eat the goodies anymore but it is really hard. Years ago and back in high school, I was bulimic….I would starve, exercise profusely and take laxatives/water pills. It's amazing I didn't die. I was 97 pounds and everyone said I "looked good". Excuse me for saying this but what the hell did they know? I also had issues with low blood sugar so when I shake, I get nervous. A big part of me wants to at least be an overweight normal but another part of me is scared **#@less. I sincerely thank you all for listening and responding.

You don't need to deprive yourself of goodies forever. But focusing on health as well as weight involves making nutritious choices more often than not. Depending on your relationship with food, avoiding these things altogether might be helpful... Some people can do moderation and portion control, others not.

People often base health on looks. Some people with amazing bodies are a wreck inside,physically and emotionally.

Hopefully working with a Dr (or dietician?) will help you get your health and weight sorted out. You may want to find someone to help you work through any issues that cause you to have problems with food (if any..)
  • idolon
    idolon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You know, it sounds like you may be on the wrong diet. There are many options out there. Did your doctor recommend that you go on this particular one? Personally, I'd contact a dietitian and see what they recommend.

Also, a friend of mine swears by the importance of macro-nutrients. Her theory is that everyone has one that makes them feel full. Hers is carbs, so she has a small bowl of popcorn when she feels really hungry and it makes her feel fine. Mine happens to be fat, so when I get that starving on a diet feeling (Yes, I know that feeling!) then I have a scoop of really high end ice cream, and it actually keeps me on track.

Good luck to you! And no, you shouldn't feel this way. Check out your options and talk to experts and you should be able to find something that you can stick to.
  • Stephcrane14
    Stephcrane14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Basically, if your end goal is to lose weight, and I'm sure that you've heard this before, you need to be in a calorie deficit. In order to figure out how many calories your body needs minimally to function (think sitting on the couch all day, how many calories will your body need for support basic functioning), use this formula:

For women: 655 + (4.35 × weight) + (4.7 × height) – (4.7 × age) =
    For men: 66 + (6.23 × weight) + (12.7 × height) – (6.8 × age) =

This will tell you how many calories per day your body burns while you are sedentary. This being said, you will need to calculate the amount of calories you ingest in one day to be under this amount, hence calorie deficit. In my experience, it is easiest to take your "diet," I don't call it a diet I would say more like your eating plan (because it's a lifestyle change, not something that that you will be doing for a short period of time), one day at a time. Just think about the day that you're present in at the moment, think about what you're going to eat and drink and plan for the entire day (key word: PLAN). It helps you focus not on what you can't have but on things that you can have, this is important to get your mindset in the right place.

The best way that I have learned to keep full while being in a caloric deficit is to eat foods high in PROTEIN while maintaining a CLEAN diet. For example, tuna fish, chicken, beans, eggs, extra lean ground turkey and I like to supplement with whey protein powder (sometimes whey isolate); these meats are what comprises most of my diet.

Start your day out with 5 hard boiled eggs, just the egg whites with maybe some hot sauce if you like it (I know, the yolk is my favorite part too and I cringe throwing the best part of the egg out, however maintaining a clean diet is key in weight loss and especially OVERALL health). You can throw in some veges too, you can never have enough!

For mid-morning snack I'll have a protein shake, here are 2 yummy examples of what I drink: 1. coffee, 1 tbsp peanut/almond butter, scoop of vanilla whey isolate and cinnamon and 2. 4 large fresh strawberries, 1/2 banana, water to cover all the fruit and a scoop of vanilla whey isolate...these 2 smoothies are SO yummy (hint-when using 1/2 a banana at a time, saran wrap the other half and put in freezer to use the next time you want a smoothie).

For lunch I'll choose ~5oz. lean meat and unlimited veges. I try to stick to leafy green vegetables as much as possible with salads or greens.

For mid-afternoon snack I'll have ~5oz. of lean meat, veges and I'll add a starch. Be careful that when you add starches to your meals that they are clean, whole grain and those that are high in fat (avocados, granola) are eaten in moderation. Because although they have a lot of health benefits and are very good for overall health, too much of a good thing here can be bad.

For dinner I'll usually repeat what I had for lunch, ~5oz. of lean meat and unlimited veges. Notice no starch here, for me I've noticed that if I keep my high fat foods and starches in my meals in the beginning of the day, my stomach feels flatter in the morning.

If at any time you get hungry in between all of these meals you can always try a cup of non fat greek yogurt, a slice of cheese (I tend to stay away from cheese and dairy because of fat content and I know I can't control myself around cheese, it's my weakness!), a small handful of nuts like almonds, an apple, cottage cheese, more hard boiled egg whites (in my experience you can never have too many) or a cup of coffee (try to stay away from sugar, especially if you are drinking fruit protein smoothies!).

Last but not least, water, water, water!!!! I have to force myself to drink it because I don't really like it but it will keep you fuller in between meals, improve your skin, hair and nails and it aids in digestion which means your metabolism will kick up; so many great benefits for drinking water that you just SHOULD drink a lot of it!

I also try to limit condiments, they too are a downfall for me because I love them all so much. What I've widdled my list down to is any kind of mustard, balsamic vinegar, HOT SAUCE (literally I put it on everything), worcestershire sauce for marinade, low sodium soy sauce and I use ALL of the Mrs. Dash seasonings for flavor for the meats.

I hope this information helps, if you would like any additional ideas or tips from my experience, don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to help! :)
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Are you remembering to eat enough fiber? I can only speak from my experience so far, but I discovered this last go that, as long as I'm eating enough protein and fiber, I don't feel hungry.

I can also totally relate to the sugar cravings--I had no idea I was eating as much sugar as I was until I started tracking it. I've managed to reduce my sugar to 30 - 40 g/day, but, again, eating enough fiber and protein helped me feel full and I didn't mind as much.

Also, may I recommend Kind Nuts and Spices bars when you have a candy bar craving and must satisfy it? They're high in calories and fat (nut fat), but some only have five grams of sugar and around six grams of protein and taste awesome.
    Options
    I don't know what the heck to do. When I ate carbs, they were frequently Triscuits, Wheat Thins or popcorn with cheese. Yes, I indulged in chips but I was never obese until this year and I sincerely attribute it to hormone imbalances, having to use steroids and my past bad eating habits catching up with me. I always kept the bad eating habits in check by exercising but this year, it didn't work. The more I exercised, the more hungry I became. Maybe I should get a second opinion. Thank you. Why not! I have a tendency to trust my doctors all the time but they are human and could be wrong. I'm also just another patient to them so what the heck do they care about me?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I did a strict Atkins diet years ago (which resulted in me dropping 60 pounds in 8 months). I remember the first couple weeks I felt pretty crappy, e.g., dizzy, a bit washed-out.

I don't recall being hungry because the diet had built into it a lot of mechanisms to make sure you get enough to eat - principally in the form of animal products (meats and fats).

Moreover, after the first 2-3 weeks of Atkins Induction, I felt pretty good - energy levels really started going up, and as the weight came off my motivation went through the roof.

I'm doing something a bit different now - I'm loosely still low-carbing in that I do virtually no bread or pasta, extremely rare simple sugars, and lots of veggies, nuts, beans, fruit, and animal products / protein, but I count calories and exercise far more than I did before.

My weight loss has been steady, but not rapid by any means.