can I get a HRM for around $50?

Options
Sweetlux
Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
Yes that was my only question. I just recently started running (as in yesterday was my first day) and I was thinking about getting one but I don't want to spend $200!!! $50 sounds reasonable to me.

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    I recommend the Polar FT4 for like 20 more dollars. It's got everything you need and more
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Polar FT4.....$89 but I bet you can get it lower if you shop around! I got mine for $69! LOVE IT - will NEVER exercise again without it!
  • proudian
    proudian Posts: 1
    Options
    www.treadmillfactory.ca they have some Polar Watches that are on sale.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    Got my New Balance Fit model (you wear it like a watch) at Target for $50. Very accurate, too.
  • Tnrbeaner
    Tnrbeaner Posts: 51
    Options
    I just purchased the Timex Ironman Road Trainer from Amazon for $68 a couple of weeks ago and like it a lot.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    try going on ebay or amazon... I got mine for $55.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 for $50 from eBay.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Yes that was my only question. I just recently started running (as in yesterday was my first day) and I was thinking about getting one but I don't want to spend $200!!! $50 sounds reasonable to me.

A few years ago, I got a pro-form brand on woot.com (LOVE that website). It was 20 bucks and they always have 5 dollar shipping. It works perfect!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I got a bowflex precision and a polar FT4. Got the Bowflex for under 50.00 and the Polar for 60.00. Both from Big 5 on sale with coupons
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The one thing to consider about Polar HRMs is when the battery dies. They require you to mail the HRM back to them to replace the battery. This can certainly cause an inconvenience. Otherwise, Polar are some of the best on the market, but they can be pricey.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I think the best HRM is going to have a chest strap so that it is right there on your heart. I did not see one for around $50 that had a chest strap. I bought the Polar FT4 Saturday. I am happy with it so far.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try Ebay or Craigslist.
    Sports Authority has coupons for $X amount off a purchase in Sundays papers.
    My Polar FT4 was about $80, worth it though.
    Just look for a chest strap and one that calculates calories burned. Not all do that, especially the cheaper ones.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

A few years ago, I got a pro-form brand on woot.com (LOVE that website). It was 20 bucks and they always have 5 dollar shipping. It works perfect!

Oh I also meant to mention, mine does have a chest strap. I was actually on mfp boards the day that woot was selling them...because that's how I learned they had the great deal. Everyone on here at that time was buying them up like hot cakes!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    You can get a Timex on Amazon for under 50.00. High rated on Consumer Reports.
  • Sweetlux
    Options
    I want the Polar ft40 but it's way more than the ft4 :( It's so cute!!!! Thank you guys and gals for the help. I am going to keep search for a deal on the ft4. I may just go into big 5 or check out target? Ugh I hate shopping around for anything that isn't shoes.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If you type in heart rate monitor on overstock they have a ton.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    They have one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305646510&sr=1-1. Its inexpensve and works great! I have one of these and polar. I tend to wear th timex one much more than my polar
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I highly recomend a polar watch. Try ebay or amizon!
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Sportline Duo 1025 from amazon. It was $45 with free shipping. Normal pricing elsewhere is around $85. It has both the watch & a chest strap. I love it! I ordered it Monday morning & received it on a Thursday. It is waterproof to 50m & you can change the battery yourself. Here is the link if you are interested. They only had a limited amount left, so if you want it, you'll have to move fast.

http://www.amazon.com/Sportline-1025-Womens-Heart-Monitor/dp/B002GGGOOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1306258834&sr=8-1

good luck on your search!
  • Sweetlux
    Options
    Well to answer my own question…yes, I can get a HRM for $50 AND a really cute sweater for $67 total ;) I got the Polar FT4 because they had them on sale at Macy’s, so including my gift card, $10 dollar off code and free shipping I made out like a bandit!!! I can’t wait to get it!!!!! And my new sweater :o)