How are you determining how much to lose?

Options
How are you determining how much weight to lose???

If I go by the charts I should weigh 120 (age, height etc. all factored in.) However my first goal is 140. I had to laugh because when I logged my weight this morning, it blinked at me and told me "Congratulations you are no longer considered obese, you are now considered overweight." OMG still an insult! LOL.

I wish these labels did not exist. I am not going by what the charts say, I am looking in the mirror and when I am happy with me I am done losing... and honestly I am getting there and I think 140 is good.

Brenda

weight.png

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I determined my goal at first by looking at http://www.mybodygallery.com and seeing what sort of weight looked good for my height, which also happened to be 120. When I got there I decided I still wanted to lose weight so I carried on. I don't really have a goal weight now, I'm just dieting until I'm happy (or I reach the lowest healthy weight for my height).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose what my younger daughter weighed at the time I started. I've basically done that and, at this point, I'm focused on body fat percentage rather than weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My first goal was modest-150. I had not been that light since middle school. Once I got there and saw how successful I was, I dropped another 5 and kept doing until my new goal was 130. I'm about there now and not completely happy.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose what my younger daughter weighed at the time I started. I've basically done that and, at this point, I'm focused on body fat percentage rather than weight.

How are you determining your body fat percentage?
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think a good place to start is to aim for a healthy BMI weight. I set my goal at 24.9 BMI which for me was 146 lbs at 5'4", I then re-assessed to 139 and am now working towards 135 lbs but slowly, so slowly now as more concerned with conditioning and strength training.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

How are you determining your body fat percentage?
    Calipers, comparing to sample photos, and online calculators (the Navy one, in particular).

I'm not concerned about how accurate the answer is. I'm concerned that the situation be moving in the right direction. Last night, I traded in my 42" belt for a 36" one that works even with my inside-the-belt holster and gun, so the situation is definitely moving in the right direction.

• mojennus
    mojennus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal is to hit 160, which is what I weighed when I graduated high school. And the last time I had a BMI appropriate weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wanted to be in the bottom half of a normal BMI. So, normal is 18.5-24.9. The halfway point for BMI is 21.7. I set my initial goal a little lower than that. Then, when I got to that goal, I knew I could get even closer to my ideal, improve my performance, etc, if I cut more weight. I again split the difference between 21.7 and 18.5 and want to go a little below that. My goal weight is 139 lbs, my goal weight range is 139-145 (BMI 19.4-20.2). Edited to add- I'm 5'11
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I set my target at 135lb. Thats what I weight when I was 20 and I was happy with the way I looked at that weight. It also happens to be right in the middle of my healthy BMI.

I didn't really think I could make it until I got to 155lb. From there on it was more difficult but now that I'm almost on target I'm again pretty happy with the results.

Sure things are a little more squishy than 12 years ago, but that's to be expected, especially with a kid in the middle of all that.

So with a half of a lb to go, I'm considering this a success!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    When I was in good shape. I weighed about 180. I was a wee bit tubby then, so I've decided to aim for 170.

Frankly, I'd be happy under 200.

What my ultimate goal is fitness and health. My weight, in numbers, really mean nothing.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My goal was to be in a healthy BMI range, with a high weight of 132 lbs for my height. Goal weights are pretty arbitrary for some of us, I had no idea what I'd look like at 132 as I had never been that weight as an adult. So whenever you reach a goal weight, reassess. Once I got to 132 lbs I decided to lose a bit more. I'd like to be somewhere around 120-122 (I'm 127-129 right now).
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My first goal was just to get below 200 (started at 240). Then I wanted to get out of the obese classification. Then I wanted to get to a normal weight. Now, I look at my BF% and LBM and don't really have a scale goal weight.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If I can get to 139, my doctor will take me off the pre-diabetes meds. I'd also be pleased to fit into a size 12 again.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get to 135. That was the weight I was at in high school and college and I loved how I looked and felt. Only 97 more pounds to go.
  • UCBlack
    UCBlack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just sort of guessed. When I get to my target of 190 I will see if I need to go further or what. It has been 27 years since I was near that weight, so I don't really know.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I want to hit certain body fat percentages. Aiming for about 11-12% before I start bulking, then I'm gonna try hover between 10-15% for the rest of my lifting days :P
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I determined my goal at first by looking at http://www.mybodygallery.com and seeing what sort of weight looked good for my height, which also happened to be 120. When I got there I decided I still wanted to lose weight so I carried on. I don't really have a goal weight now, I'm just dieting until I'm happy (or I reach the lowest healthy weight for my height).

This website is amazing... you see such a wide range of sizes at the same height and weight... just goes to show that you shouldn't live or die by the number on that scale...
  • angel_fire_1986
    angel_fire_1986 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    According to my height and age I should be 140 to be directly in the normal range. I used to be 140 and for me that was just too low (I am big boned) so my goal is to be 160. If I get down to 150 that would be great, but I have had 4 kids so realistically speaking 160 is a great goal. For me it doesn't matter about the weight so much as it does how I feel.
  • Breeza002
    Breeza002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How are you determining how much weight to lose???

If I go by the charts I should weigh 120 (age, height etc. all factored in.) However my first goal is 140. I had to laugh because when I logged my weight this morning, it blinked at me and told me "Congratulations you are no longer considered obese, you are now considered overweight." OMG still an insult! LOL.

I wish these labels did not exist. I am not going by what the charts say, I am looking in the mirror and when I am happy with me I am done losing... and honestly I am getting there and I think 140 is good.

Brenda

weight.png

The problem with the BMI system is it is just KG divided by Meters squared. It doesn't take into consideration muscle, frame etc. It really is only a guide that doctors use. I would go by how you feel. However a lot of gyms and various other places have scales that measure fat%, muscle etc. So if you wanted something more indepth that might be something to consider.
  • dmschm2
    dmschm2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The high end of my ideal weight on a chart is 144...but for me, spending most of my life morbidly obese, I am setting myself a more realistic goal of 160 and I will re-evaluate at that time. My goal is to be healthier and feel better, not to be a perfect size. I got to 144 once but did not maintain for any length of time. My plan is to shoot for 160 and continue to log all my eating, watching my calories. If I continue to lose after that, great, if not...I will still be so much better off than I am now. It really is just a personal thing based on what you really want to achieve.