Eating 3 square meals a day or eating every few hours???

Options
13»

Replies

• Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posts. It doesn't matter. In the week I eat 5 times a day, but tend to eat 3 meals a day at the weekend - it doesn't make a difference. So long as I stop eating by 8ish so I'm comfortable when i sleep, I'm happy. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Eat often but not too much. It boosts your metabolism!

Nope.
    Ditto...
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 6 times a day and couldn't do it. I was consuming more calories in snacks than I was in meals. I'm on 3 meals (~250cal breakfast, ~750 cal lunch, ~1000 cal dinner & night snacks). That's worked well for me and leaves me full after meals.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can someone link the study that supports what everyone is saying?
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Typically prefer smaller meals with snacks in between. It works better for me to never be "too" hungry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like three big meals with snacks in between.

(Can't imagine why I got fat, probably my non-kickstarted metabolism.)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    3 meals or many small? How about the other one...... fasting. Mon, Wed & Fri I simply don't eat. I'm willing to bet I'm more healthy than those who eat every day ;) and I workout better as well.
    That's a bold statement...
    +1

So bold you even bolded it.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 times a day during the week. I sit at a desk all day long and tend to eat just because. So I eat at 8:30, 10:30, 12:30 and 2:30 while at work and consume most of my calories during that time. I eat a small dinner at 6pm. I try to drink 14 glasses of water a day which helps. On the weekends I eat 3 meals with my family. I don;t think it matters how I eat as long as I am eating within my macros. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374835/

Here is one of probably many saying the same thing.
    Only statistical difference between 3 meals and 14 meals was a slightly higher BMR in the ones only eating 3 times a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    No difference. I think the eating 6x/day idea came originally out of the bodybuilding nutrition world. In that case you're eating a fair bit more and it's easier to break up the meals a bit more. Somehow that started becoming the received wisdom given on diet plans generally, even if it doesn't make sense for those trying to cut.

Well, the bodybuilding community and Susan Powter. I remember that being her big thing: eat 6x per day.

Standard women's magazine dieting advice too.

It always bugged me, since I hate trying to eat constantly, and always want to eat more if I do, since I still want normal-sized meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Anyway, another personal preference person here, with my own preference being 3 meals or, on occasion depending on my workout schedule, 3 meals and an afternoon snack (my dinner is usually quite late). I find that if I eat the kind of meals I like I never get that hungry between meals such that I'd need a snack--indeed, I'm more likely to get hungry if I start adding in the snacks and making myself think I should be eating all the time.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like my three meals and I usually don't snack. I go too crazy if I do snack, and I really only get hungry three times a day. But it's really personal preference :smile: Do what works for you!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    3 meals or many small? How about the other one...... fasting. Mon, Wed & Fri I simply don't eat. I'm willing to bet I'm more healthy than those who eat every day ;) and I workout better as well.
    That's a bold statement...
    +1

So bold you even bolded it.
    Ha!

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Only statistical difference between 3 meals and 14 meals was a slightly higher BMR in the ones only eating 3 times a day.

Thanks for this!

It's very interesting! I eat three meals a day and try not to eat any snacks. I would eat a snack on days like today if I ate breakfast at 0500 and plan on working out (at 1100) before lunch (at 1200). That way I have enough energy to sustain me during my workout.

I tend to overeat if I am eating throughout the day.

It is very annoying when I am dealing with trainers or such and they tell me to eat every two hours. I do not have enough calories in my plan to do that feasibly and I will definitely eat too much if I try.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! My friend and I discuss this and get nowhere because neither of us can support our theories and hearsay.
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! My friend and I discuss this and get nowhere because neither of us can support our theories and hearsay.

Thank you for sharing a link!
  • kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    6 small meals. With a nutritionist recommendation. Keeps me full n not want to binge :)n

645 am preworkout
    (9 my after workout shake not for calories for muscles doesn't count as a meal)
    1030 eggs n avacado
    1 130 lunchish meat n veggies
    330 ish beef jerky or nuts
    6pm protien potato or rice veggies
    1 hour before bed some nuts or free popcorn.
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My philosophy? Just listen to your body. I don't think it matters when or how often you eat as long as 1) you're eating at a deficit and 2) you're not letting yourself get too hungry, to the point that you're tempted to overeat. My boyfriend's content with three meals a day, maybe a nibble in between, but I need to eat every few hours or I risk getting "hangry." But we're both still able to lose weight~.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It really depends on my schedule. I kind of prefer more smaller meals just because my stomach tends to feel a little off if I eat too much at one time often. I have found I actually prefer feeling less full for staying alert and physically able, but that hasn't always been the case.
    Do what feels best for your body and your schedule.