Calculation

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
I've been averaging a 250 daily deficit about 2 months consistently for .5 lb weekly loss. This week, I was off to a bad start: 777 calories over my goal on Monday (I felt sick!). I've created a larger deficit the last few days to get back on track....

....But I'm going out of town this weekend for a wedding, and I'm considering making this a "maintenance" week so I can really enjoy it and not worry so much, and then back to deficit next week.

So here is my math question: since my MFP goal is set for a 250 daily deficit, that means if I go over by 250 a day (exactly at my maintenance calories), I would end up going over by 1750 for the week (250 X 7). So as long as my total weekly calories in the RED are 1750 or less, I will maintain, is that correct?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm going on vacation soon and I'm eating at maintenance for the week. I'm just changing my goal setting for the week to maintain.

Overthinking things before breakfast hurts my head and I don't like seeing red.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. However, just enjoy the trip. The difference in foods may cause a temporary weight gain primarily due to water retention. It shouldn't last long once you are back to your routine.
  • jaga13
    Options
    I'm going on vacation soon and I'm eating at maintenance for the week. I'm just changing my goal setting for the week to maintain.

Overthinking things before breakfast hurts my head and I don't like seeing red.

Great idea to change the goal setting! I probably won't do that just for the weekend, but definitely when I go away for a week this summer.

Thank you all.

• jaga13
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. However, just enjoy the trip. The difference in foods may cause a temporary weight gain primarily due to water retention. It shouldn't last long once you are back to your routine.

Making too many exceptions is how I ended up overweight :) We have a lot of travelling this summer, so while I'm ok with maintaining a few times, I definitely need some form of a leash!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You are correct in the math, but there is no way of knowing your accuracy (I'm assuming that you won't be able to weigh your food and drinks). Just enjoy the wedding, and don't go too crazy on the alcohol or desserts. You'll most likely have some weight gain when you get back, but that will most likely be extra water retention and such.
  • jaga13
    Options
    True, I definitely won't be weighing food at the wedding!! But I can eat reasonable portions throughout the weekend and try to stay active (and then, yes, enjoy the food at the wedding...I usually only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine).