Under calorie but gain weight

i had been logging the Japanese sweet potato as 130+ cal per 100g but I saw the box that comes with the nutrition information today and realised that it is 89cal per 100 so I've been under-logging my calorie for like 200+ cal each day. However, I had gained weight. I am confused now. Should I adjust and log the correct sweet potato cal? Or should I just remain as it is? I don't understand why I'm gaining if I'm actually under-logging.

Replies

• Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    edited June 2015
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If you are gaining weight than either you don't have your maintenance calories set correctly or you are making mistakes logging somewhere else in the other direction.

How long have you been gaining weight? It could also just be fluctuations. I did take a quick peek at your food dairy and it does look like you eat back all of your exercise calories. How are you calculating your exercise? I saw one day it said you got 800 calories for exercise and that seemed kinda high, but I didn't know what kind you were actually doing. It might be over estimating exercise and therefore over eating without realizing it.

I uses Fitbit and I walk a lot like more than 30,000 steps maybe that's why I got high exercise cal
    I've been gaining for some time.
    When I used to eat 1300+ Fitbit cal I maintained at lower weight.
    I started gaining when I eat 1200+ Fitbit cal
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    I uses Fitbit and I walk a lot like more than 30,000 steps maybe that's why I got high exercise cal

Anyone can put anything in the database, so there are lots of incorrect entries. Learning to log everything you eat accurately & honestly doesn't just mean weigh everything. You also need to learn to identify accurate entries in the database.

Your Fitbit burn is accurate. You need to work on your logging.

PS. You can learn more about using Fitbit + MFP in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Your fitbit burn is accurate as long as the measurements are (same with MFP). Double check those.
    Are you logging drinks?
    Are you bring honest about what you're eating? I mean really honest. We can start to lie to ourselves. Don't eat it until you've logged it.
  • Wingg_
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Anyone can put anything in the database, so there are lots of incorrect entries. Learning to log everything you eat accurately & honestly doesn't just mean weigh everything. You also need to learn to identify accurate entries in the database.

Your Fitbit burn is accurate. You need to work on your logging.

PS. You can learn more about using Fitbit + MFP in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Alright thank you for the link!
  • Wingg_
    edited June 2015
    Your fitbit burn is accurate as long as the measurements are (same with MFP). Double check those.
    Are you logging drinks?
    Are you bring honest about what you're eating? I mean really honest. We can start to lie to ourselves. Don't eat it until you've logged it.

I do log my drink and don't eat food that I can't log ...
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Log accurately and eat at a deficit, and (unless you've destroyed your metabolism by extreme dieting for a long period of time,) you'll lose weight.
  • Wingg_
    Should I trust the nutrition information on the box? Because I have found that Japanese sweet potato is call satsuma imo and its nutrition is 134 cal per 100g whereas the box says 89cal per 100g...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Should I trust the nutrition information on the box? Because I have found that Japanese sweet potato is call satsuma imo and its nutrition is 134 cal per 100g whereas the box says 89cal per 100g...

Is it a well known company? I saw something that said that better known food companies tend to have more accurate calorie information on their boxes.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Go off the higher count unless you're on an extremely low intake already. We tend to overestimate our burn on exercise and underestimate our intake, particularly if you're still gaining.
  • Wingg_

Is it a well known company? I saw something that said that better known food companies tend to have more accurate calorie information on their boxes.

I am not entirely sure. It's a organic Japanese sweet potato company in the market.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Portion creep also happens, even after a long time of weighing and measuring food. I weighed what I had "eyeballed" as the correct portion of cottage cheese and discovered I'd scooped out more than I'd realized. :-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Portion creep absolutely happens. So does skipping logging small things like a dab of butter, a fingerful of cookie dough, or a bit of mayo.

If my carbs are over 50%, I will start to creep up weight no matter what my calories practically. If I can keep it under 40%, I have a lot of flexibility. One of my sisters got 70% of her calories from carbs (it's not hard to do, even if you never eat things that are sweet), and she gained and gained no matter how much her calories were restricted. Just a thought.
  • PShizle
    PShizle Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi Wingg - because I'm not a friend on MFP I cannot see you're eating profile. Therefore, blindly I give you this advice. You may want to look at the food distribution (what you're eating and when you're eating it). People tend to eat too many salty foods - this causes the body to absorb and retain too much water because salt (in too much quantity) is actually toxic for the body. As such, you will fluctuate heavily in weight due to the water decrease and gains. Here is what I suggest: 1) check the sodium content of everything you're eating; reduce if necessary. 2) slowly reduce carbs to under 50 grs per day while simultaneously upping protein and clean natural fats. 3) Have a full glass of water before all meals, and a full glass during your meal. 4) Make sure to limit your carb intake after about 4:00 PM as even slow digesting carbs (low glycemic), will convert to fat. 5) RELAX! Everyone's body is different so experiment with the calorie intake, carb intake, sodium levels, and like has been suggested above, measure everything before you eat. You'll do great and we are all here to support you!
  • Wingg_
    sharondtd wrote: »
    Portion creep also happens, even after a long time of weighing and measuring food. I weighed what I had "eyeballed" as the correct portion of cottage cheese and discovered I'd scooped out more than I'd realized. :-)
    I'll try eyeballing my food before weight it seems like a good strategy for getting off weighing food in the future.
  • Wingg_
    slong4u wrote: »
    Hi Wingg - because I'm not a friend on MFP I cannot see you're eating profile. Therefore, blindly I give you this advice. You may want to look at the food distribution (what you're eating and when you're eating it). People tend to eat too many salty foods - this causes the body to absorb and retain too much water because salt (in too much quantity) is actually toxic for the body. As such, you will fluctuate heavily in weight due to the water decrease and gains. Here is what I suggest: 1) check the sodium content of everything you're eating; reduce if necessary. 2) slowly reduce carbs to under 50 grs per day while simultaneously upping protein and clean natural fats. 3) Have a full glass of water before all meals, and a full glass during your meal. 4) Make sure to limit your carb intake after about 4:00 PM as even slow digesting carbs (low glycemic), will convert to fat. 5) RELAX! Everyone's body is different so experiment with the calorie intake, carb intake, sodium levels, and like has been suggested above, measure everything before you eat. You'll do great and we are all here to support you!

I'm drinking quite a lot of water but I'm not going to the toilet often so it's actually a sign that my body is retaining water right?
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    How long have you been gaining? I have "gained" from eating too much sodium in the past and regaining water, or from not having a bowel movement (sorry tmi) longer than usual.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

As far as I know, satsuma is a mandarin...
  • Wingg_
    How long have you been gaining? I have "gained" from eating too much sodium in the past and regaining water, or from not having a bowel movement (sorry tmi) longer than usual.

I've gained a kg over the week but I've gained like 3-4kg from my original maintains weight. I had a bowel movement but I feel that there's more that needed to be passed out. I drink quite a lot of water but isn't going to the toilet often...
  • Wingg_
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Portion creep absolutely happens. So does skipping logging small things like a dab of butter, a fingerful of cookie dough, or a bit of mayo.

If my carbs are over 50%, I will start to creep up weight no matter what my calories practically. If I can keep it under 40%, I have a lot of flexibility. One of my sisters got 70% of her calories from carbs (it's not hard to do, even if you never eat things that are sweet), and she gained and gained no matter how much her calories were restricted. Just a thought.

But I used to eat 50+% carb and maintained my weight... So I'm confused now.