first loose weight then lift

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    No need to "go hard core" at the gym at all, unless you like it.

But it's best to do cardio at least 5 days a week for at least 30 min (more is better),
    and lift progressively heavier weights 2-3 times per week, exercising all muscles,
    all the way along while you're losing weight & getting fit.

a - It's easier to maintain the muscle you have than to rebuild it

b - For the same mass, muscle burns more calories than fat. It's not as huge a
    difference as people like to think, because if you lose 40 lb of fat & then gain 10
    lb of muscle you really haven't changed your calorie burn much, if at all. But you'll
    look much better & be slimmer.

c - To lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit.
    To build muscle, eat at a slight surplus and repeatedly lift progressively heavier things.

d - loose = not fitting well; your old clothes will be loose when you get fit
    lose = to not have; when you lose weight, you will feel better
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. I started lifting while losing weight. My profile pic is the end result.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do both. I absolutely love lifting.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I had pain in my knees coupled with hypermobile joints which prevented me from doing any form of cardio, including non impact ones like walking and cycling. I have had many failed attempts at losing weight through cardio only. Now, I am doing only strength training and body weight exercises. Though my weight loss is slow I am losing inches and my knee pain is almost gone after only a month.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I watch that 600 pound show. Have you ever seen that? Some of those people really have a hard time with losing even after changing their digestive system drastically. Anyway there was this one guy who had a really hard time losing the 50 lbs that the Dr wanted him to lose before surgery. So he went to planet fitness and started to lift. That one guy had a much easier time losing after surgery because he put on some muscle first. They really should make all of those people gain muscle before surgery.

Good
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Lose, not loose, but Why wait? Do both
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to see noticeable results, progress, and improvement on your journey, then I recommend hitting the weights as a part of your weight loss routine. Otherwise, you're going to wind up just looking "skinny fat", as mentioned above - a scaled down version of the same body type you are now, more or less, and there's nothing more discouraging than that, really. Add to that the fact that muscle gains are going to passively burn more calories (by raising your BMR), leading to additional weight loss between workouts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight with cardio. No resistance training. Just a bicycle. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I did it. It was fine. I wasn't happy when I got there though, although I knew I wouldn't be. I just wanted to see the number drop as fast as possible and figured cardio was the best way for that to happen.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Lift during... otherwise you are digging a big hole... lift during... and you will be ahead of the game
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    q2i801alqcsx.png
    wseww5xwr6p2.png

I usually hear this sentiment from people trying to lose and then I post this photo.
    Why wait to lift weights I achieved this with very little cardio (read none whatsoever aside from walking and taking th stairs when I could) in 18 months. if you incorporate cardio and weights imagine where you could be in less than 18 months….
    Wow I want to look like that. Would you mind elaborating on how often you lift and for what duration? Thanks.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is better to lift along your journey, sure it is not much fun seeing no progress when lifting on a deficit (aside from newby gains) but it is your best bet in completely changing your body composition. You will also aid in maintaining lean body mass if you train while cutting.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to reach your goal weight without going to the gym; you may still not have achieved the look you're going for, but only you can be the judge of that.

As for all the comments about muscle loss during weight loss, I don't really understand. If you've been inactive for years at a time and now out of shape or were never fit to begin with, you're not going to be Adonis under all the extra weight. Things just don’t work like that. During healthy weight loss, according to goggle, you lose fat to muscle at a rate of 9:1 (90% fat to 10% muscle) which sounds great to me. If muscle loss is a big concern for you though, I’d recommend losing weight slowly and sustainably. Not all weight loss is good weight loss, and unfortunately, the faster you drop weight, the more muscle you’ll lose.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking about this topic today and found this link which I think is really helpful:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/reducing-body-fat-percentage-by-gaining-muscle-qa.html/

I hope this helps.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You want to lift as you lose weight. It helps you maintain your muscle which is key to being able to sustain the weight loss by keeping your metabolism running well.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

From article:
    There's a study to illustrate the point [...] two groups of obese subjects put on identical very low calorie diets. One group was assigned an aerobic exercise protocol (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week). The other group was assigned resistance training three times per week and did no aerobic exercise.

After 12 weeks, both groups lost weight. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds, 27 of which was fat and 10 of which was muscle. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds, and 32 pounds were fat, 0 was muscle. When resting metabolic rate was calculated after the study, the aerobic group was burning 210 fewer calories daily. In contrast, the resistance-training group had increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.
  • ck09ck
    ck09ck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lift! I've been lifting for a little over a month now. The confidence it has given me is unreal! Like an antidepressant too!
    Just don't set foot on a scale. My scale says I weigh the same as I did when I started- which would make me frustrated normally but my clothes say I've lost at least 10-15lbs of fat. Plus they just "hang" better than they ever have!
    You won't regret it. I'll never do just cardio again. Lifting heavy things makes me so happy!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Don't wait! I did~actually I didn't know how much lifting could or would do for my body or how much I'd fall in love with it. I lost most of my weight through just watching and tracking my food, weight watchers and 2-3 short days of cardio at the gym. After maintaining that for about a year, I discovered weights and whilst I didn't lose much more in body weight, holy crap did I transform my body! I wish I would've started a lot of things a long time ago, and lifting is definitely one of them. Best part? Get to eattttt alllll the foooooddd!!! (And still lose :wink: )
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yeah simple answer - dont wait....with higher body weight you are stronger..whilst if you are just starting,it may seem difficult to lift,but after some time you can start going up in strength rapidly,if you push yourself...why do you thing pros do the bulking - cutting cycle all over again? fatter means stronger means more weight lifted means more gains! :)
  • charllata
    charllata Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I lost all my weight with cardio. No resistance training. Just a bicycle. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I did it. It was fine. I wasn't happy when I got there though, although I knew I wouldn't be. I just wanted to see the number drop as fast as possible and figured cardio was the best way for that to happen.

YOU LOOK amazing!! Your back is so well defined! That's about the only thing I like about exercising-lifting wts!What a feeling it gives a person! Powerful in all ways!
    You done good!
  • charllata
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    q2i801alqcsx.png
    wseww5xwr6p2.png

I usually hear this sentiment from people trying to lose and then I post this photo.
    Why wait to lift weights I achieved this with very little cardio (read none whatsoever aside from walking and taking th stairs when I could) in 18 months. if you incorporate cardio and weights imagine where you could be in less than 18 months….
    Wow I want to look like that. Would you mind elaborating on how often you lift and for what duration? Thanks.

Me, to please!
  • charllata
    Options
    Do both. Trust me on this one.
    So, at the most weight I lost, 83lbs (and now 52 but I'm working on it again), I was a size 12 at 203 lbs. I got all kinds of crap on here from girls with my same height that were a size 16 at 170lbs. Yup. That's what weight lifting does for you. Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.

php5wmc9ptt5.jpg

Love your example will be buying tangerines from now on-hee!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!