What is/was your exercise routine like?

Options
In my opinion, success stories are the greatest motivation out there. So I'm curious. Everyone who has been successful and is at or getting close to their goal weight, what did you do to get there? I'm looking for more detail then just the usual "stay focused, stay motivated, eat clean, move more" sort of answer. What was your favorite exercise routine like? How often did you work out and what were those work-outs?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I worked out for years and didn't lose weight. I wasn't tracking or being honest with myself about what I was eating. Once I got real with how much food I eat, the weight slowly started coming off.

But I do exercise every day to allow myself to eat more than the measly 1220 MFP gives me for a .5 lb loss (I'm 4'11).

Exercise routines that help me:

Jogging/running/walking (all together as intervals, or completely separate)
    Strength training (not that it allows me a whole lot more to eat, but it's a little bit)
    Mini walk breaks at work--I aim for 50+ minutes of extra walking throughout the day, not including any formal exercise.
    Yoga (again not a huge calorie impact, but I guess better than nothing)
    Generally staying on my feet--pacing/marching/squatting/running around with my kids. Anything to not be still.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You have to fall in love with the process...
    And ultimately...you have to want it for yourself. Find workouts that you love to do. I recently have taken up biking and rowing. Building a strong core with all this rowing. And on the weekends I walk the city bridges in my area and hike mountains. Unless you are really just consistent and want it for yourself...you'll end up starting and stopping a million times. Make it your lifestyle...make it your hobby...and you'll have all the motivation you need.
  • imdanshort
    imdanshort Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started with lower calories and just cardio with a bit of free weights. I now do 5/6 days a week routine.

Monday: shoulders
    Tuesday: arms
    Wednesday: torso
    Thursday: legs
    Friday: chest & back
    Saturday: cardio
    Sunday: rest

Saturday and Sunday sometimes switches or if I feel lazy / hit the rest of the week hard I will have two days off.

Might not be the best routine out there but it works for me and fills my lunch hour Monday-friday
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Monday - 4-5 mile run
    Tues Morn -2-3 mile run, late afternoon circut train with my trainer for 30 min
    Wed - warm up run on treadmill or eliptical for 30 min followed by a 50 minute boot camp class
    Thurs - light eliptical followed by 30 min circut training with trainer ( sometimes I'll do an easy run in the morning instead of the eliptical)
    Fri - full rest day or if the mood strikes a yoga class
    Sat - 6-7 mile early morning run
    Sun - same as Fri
  • dsneade
    dsneade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Monday: Back and Shoulders, Tuesday: Biceps and Forearms, Wednesday: Legs, Glutes, and Hips, Thursday: Triceps and Chest. Everyday's warm-up consists of stretching, weighted curl-ups, and 15 minutes on the elliptical. Saturday is walking 9 holes or a visit to the gym to repeat a workout that didn't feel optimum. Friday and Sunday I rest.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Monday - spin and core class
    Tuesday - definition class (resistance training)
    Wednesday - all terrain spin class
    Thursday - spin and strength class
    Friday - burn class (tabata style cardio & resistance)
    Saturday - peak class (plymetrics, calisthenics & resistance)
    Sunday - rest

If I feel up to it I run a mile after I'm done a class, and I love stretching. I also really like fitness classes in case that wasn't obvious haha. I'm planning on adding a day or two of legit strength training though.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Umm... When I have time (3-5 mornings a week, depending), I walk sort of fast about 1.25 miles from (the distance from not-the-closest transit stop to my office). I walk about ?? 2/3? 3/4 ?? mile at lunch 3-5 times a week. 3-5 times a week I walk to the not the closest coffee shop during my morning and afternoon break. And I do a 2 minute plank about 5 nights a week.

And when my roommate's schedule and mine overlap the right way, I get in a weight lifting session with her personal trainer.
  • isabel3698
    isabel3698 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that lost over 100 lbs by making up her mind to lose weight and sticking with it. First she started off clueless and not really knowing what to do. She got gym membership and started going everyday after work and just asked a lot of questions and made some gym buddies to work out with. She never got a trainer or take anything to lose weight. Also changed the way she ate by cutting out junk food and eating healthy but found things she liked. Eventually she started to meal prep which she said made things much easier and didn't temp her to just get something to eat. She's done a heck of a job and looks great! All in less than a year.