intermittent fasting

Options
Has anybody ever tried this method ? If so, how was the experience and do you recommend this method to those who love eating and trying to cut ... Thank you

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    yup you'll find a variety of IF'ers on here, I'm sure they will chime in soon. take a look through the Groups and you will probably find one for it
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day intermittent fasting for my weight loss phase, 5:2IF as the transition from weight loss to maintenance and I now do 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan. Love IF and will probably do it in some form for the rest of my life :)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have followed it for quite some time. I am an all or nothing kind of guy so going without food for several hours is pretty easy when I know I get to eat a large meal in the evening. IF combined with having a weekly spike day changed my life and allowed me to drop around 70lbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    marcosdt10 wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried this method ? If so, how was the experience and do you recommend this method to those who love eating and trying to cut ... Thank you

Do it. Love it. Works fantastic, if you can get in the groove. But not everybody can - only way to know for sure is to give it a try.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't do real intermittent fasting anymore (I have milk in my coffee in the morning), but I find that it's easier for me to eat two meals a day. I like big meals and I never feel satisfied with small portions.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I have done an impromptu IF during the bow hunt (August and September) for years. I don't really like breakfast, but I love breakfast food. I have found that if I eat breakfast I am hungry all day, but if I skip it I'm good till late in the afternoon. I have recently switched to 16:8IF full time for my cut and I am loving it. My feeding window is 1400-2200 since I typically lift late in the evening I like to be able to get some calories in after my lifting session, hence the 2200.

Rigger
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some form of fasting for over 2 years now... Mainly 5.2.. But I also like 16.8 & I actually lose weight better if I do one 500-600 cal fast then follow 16.8 the rest of the week.. Unless alcohol is involved I find it hard to eat much in an 8hr window as my appetite has shrunk
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sure. It's easiest if you're already used to not eating breakfast to begin with. If you love your breakfast it might be hard and not recommended.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 personally never been a morning eater but my blood sugar has never been stable enough for 5:2 or alt. But between doing this intentionally and adding exercise I'm stable for what feels like the first time since I was a kid.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you can eat whatever you want if doing IF. Not for me! I am doing 18:6 and it works great. I work out during the fasted time. I have also read it works especially well for men. Hormone thing.
  • kellierae09
    kellierae09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome I just started reading about fasting and came across the IF. I'm extremely new and don't understand the jargon. After reading most of your post this sounds like something g I have done all my life. I can't eat 5 small meals a day, I love to eat and end up eating way to much and gaining. As a teenager and younger I would only eat dinner and on days I ate more I'd have lunch a snack then dinner. I've always done that but as I got older and had kids the 3 meals a day I've put on a ton of weight. Over the past 8 years I started waking up and as soon as I wake up have breakfast. I'm so glad I looked this up!! Anyways can someone explain to me about the numbers ?? Example 16:8, 5:8
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Awesome I just started reading about fasting and came across the IF. I'm extremely new and don't understand the jargon. After reading most of your post this sounds like something g I have done all my life. I can't eat 5 small meals a day, I love to eat and end up eating way to much and gaining. As a teenager and younger I would only eat dinner and on days I ate more I'd have lunch a snack then dinner. I've always done that but as I got older and had kids the 3 meals a day I've put on a ton of weight. Over the past 8 years I started waking up and as soon as I wake up have breakfast. I'm so glad I looked this up!! Anyways can someone explain to me about the numbers ?? Example 16:8, 5:8

16:8IF refers to having an eating window of hours, fasting for 16 hours. 5:2IF refers to Dr. Michael Mosley's plan, which is an offshoot of Dr. James Johnson's alternate day IF program, and with 5:2 you eat two 500 calorie days, and then eat 5 days at around maintenance calories. And then with alternate day IF (also caled ADF or JUDDD), you alternate between low calorie days and maintenance calorie days.

Note-16:8IF by itself is NOT a weight loss method and if you're using it while trying to lose weight you still need to figure out your calorie deficit number.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It works for some people. But not for me. I've definitely heard some real success stories though so give it a shot.
  • fad_sin26
    fad_sin26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally, i love IF. Been doing it for 6 months. If you love to eat like me this will suit you. When breaking my fast i usually eat a big meal. One big enough to make me feel full, but not gross. Meals are less frequent, but more filling so your'e not hungry for a while. I use this method with IIFYM. Works wonders for me. I eat a lot making sure i'm hitting my macros. Pair this with a consistent training regiment and you will see results.
  • fad_sin26
    Options
    Regimen*
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I kind of stumbled into doing 16:8 unintentionally... mainly because I really like to eat and look forward to good dinners! I have never been a big breakfast person and do just fine with coffee in the morning. I find that I like to save most of my calories for dinner so I'll eat a light lunch and then have close to 1200 to play with at dinner. It doesn't even feel like dieting, and I can still enjoy the things I like without depriving too much.
  • fad_sin26
    Options
    And most importantly, make sure your'e in a caloric deficit!!! I suggest starting off at 300-500 below calorie maintenance.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds and have settled into a modified 20:4 schedule. When you don't have a large calorie bank to draw from, it helps me to feel sated and full. I'll snack myself into the red if I let myself eat all day.
  • jbwalker89
    jbwalker89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm IF right now. I wake up around 6 go to the gym then eat around 10 - 6. I'm testing it with working out on an empty stomach. Does anyone have any input on this method?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options