Decided to have "a beer" yesterday...logged in myfitnesspal...wow

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Ah, but unfortunately, drinking those light beers is almost like drinking nothing (for me), in which case I usually just don't drink anything instead.

In order for me to get a "buzz", I need to drink 3-4 drinks. That screws the diet up big time, unless I just skipped entire meals...but that would surely leave me tired and pathetic for my workout the next day.

The answer, for me, is to just never drink alcohol, or maybe once a week.

So tempting in the evenings though, when I'm "bored" and I just want to relax and have a few drinks.

Might have to do some heavy research on the lowest calorie liquor (a google search or two).

To get a buzz you might need 3-4 drinks now... but when you're done losing weight it might be 1-2 drinks. I went from being fun drunk on a bottle of wine (25.4 oz) to getting there after 2-3 5 oz glasses (10-15 oz).

True. Every year I go to the Great Taste of the Midwest. It's the most wonderful time of the year. I've got a taste for particularly strong beers, and they can be found in abundance there: barleywines, imperial everything, etc. The first festival after I lost my weight...well, lets just say that I didn't do too well. I caught some serious flack for sleeping through half of the event. I have since moderated my intake, and now search out "interesting" beers: new hop varieties, unusual grains, barrel aged, historical styles, etc etc.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    ^TRUTH. Speaking in absolutes "You CAN'T EVER have XYZ if you want to lose weight." is a surefire way to binge down the road on XYZ. If you like the taste of good beers, limit your quantity and sip the dang things. If you want to get drunk, do shots of vodka. Clear liquor has fewer calories per ounce than almost anything, but the best overall bang for buck is dry sparkling wine. No mixers needed, and about 90 calories for 6oz.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Ah, but unfortunately, drinking those light beers is almost like drinking nothing (for me), in which case I usually just don't drink anything instead.

In order for me to get a "buzz", I need to drink 3-4 drinks. That screws the diet up big time, unless I just skipped entire meals...but that would surely leave me tired and pathetic for my workout the next day.

So tempting in the evenings though, when I'm "bored" and I just want to relax and have a few drinks.

Might have to do some heavy research on the lowest calorie liquor (a google search or two).

To get a buzz you might need 3-4 drinks now... but when you're done losing weight it might be 1-2 drinks. I went from being fun drunk on a bottle of wine (25.4 oz) to getting there after 2-3 5 oz glasses (10-15 oz).

True. Every year I go to the Great Taste of the Midwest. It's the most wonderful time of the year. I've got a taste for particularly strong beers, and they can be found in abundance there: barleywines, imperial everything, etc. The first festival after I lost my weight...well, lets just say that I didn't do too well. I caught some serious flack for sleeping through half of the event. I have since moderated my intake, and now search out "interesting" beers: new hop varieties, unusual grains, barrel aged, historical styles, etc etc.

same here. In Quebec we have amazing breweries, and the festivals are starting next week, almost one evry second week ends! i love stouts and since losing weight i have two or three small glasses versus what used to be 6-8 glasses
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Something's not right. 70 grams of carbs is only 280 calories.

alcohol...alcohol and carbs.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    2 pints of Guinness has 320 calories. I've obviously logged "2 pints of Guinness" several times into MFP.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Oh boy, I'd better buckle up!

I'm bringing my Camelbak.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have found that in order to control my weight, I drink wine much more often than beer. I save beer for ball games. But I can make a glass or two of wine fit many days, and on the weekends, well ... it's a little more than one or two.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Alcohol, especially beer, is a great ally when bulking.

Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock... all those guys consume a lot of calories from alcohol on a weekly basis.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just got back from a work trip and resulted in 6-8 yuenlings a night, yeah went over my calorie goal fro three days. Between that a eating whatever I wanted it cost me two pounds over those three days. It was entirely worth it!

Being healthy is a life long travel, but sometimes you have to stop and have a little fun.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*

Thats not beer
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Thats not beer

Of course it is.
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Holy crap...time to switch to lite beer!!! That is insane!! I drink club soda with Stoli flavored vodka, 69 calories per shot, low sodium, and no sugars or anything like that.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I share the high ABV bombers with someone instead of drinking the 22 ouncer by myself - especially with a brew like the one you chose. Porcine Unidragon (which is great, by the way) is the equivalent of drinking almost a six-pack of standard beer. At 22 ounces and 12.5% alcohol, it's essentially the same as six 12 ounce cans with a 4-4.5% ABV.

And yes, you can lose weight without giving up great beer! I lost over 60 pounds in 2011 and did it while enjoying plenty of good quality beer. Drink what you like -- just pay attention to the ABV and residual sugar in your beer choices and make sure it fits into your calorie allotment for the day.
  • mantium999
    Options

Thats not beer

Of course it is.

Using corn (syrup, or in any other form) as a cheap fermentable, negates any claim to being a beer. :)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Something's not right. 70 grams of carbs is only 280 calories.

Alcohol has it's own calories. It's technically a whole different macro onto itself.

OK...I didn't know this. I always assumed alcohol's caloric content was accounted for in carbs.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    2 pints of Guinness has 320 calories. I've obviously logged "2 pints of Guinness" several times into MFP.

I think I'd like to do more hanging out with you.

And, no, "lite" beer does not count as beer. It's a fricking fracking BEER SPRITZER at best. Yuck. Talk about not worth the calories! I'd rather have seltzer at 0 calories than a "lite beer"
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is not a good example of how you can lose weight while drinking beer. It's 12.5% abv, which is huge, AND it's a 22 ounce bomber. There are plenty of high quality beers out there with much lower abvs which can be enjoyed in moderation. I have a craft beer almost every night, and still lose or maintain as I'm planning.

I did have 750 ml of 10% abv imperial stout two weeks ago, and it was worth every calorie. I had to do a lot of biking to earn that one, though!

PS: Looks pretty pretty good based on untappd and RateBeer.

This -- I drink craft beer at least once or twice a week. Sometimes more. Also be aware that everything entered into MFP is user submitted and since most beers (especially craft beers) don't have readily available nutritional information what you are logging is a complete guess.
  • mantium999
    Options

And, no, "lite" beer does not count as beer. It's a fricking fracking BEER SPRITZER at best. Yuck. Talk about not worth the calories! I'd rather have seltzer at 0 calories than a "lite beer"

I approve of this
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I approve of this

As do I.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    Guinness my man...Guinness.

Yes, please!