Not losing weight?

Options
Hi
Please can anyone help. I'm at my wits end!
I joined my fitness pal at Xmas and joined the gym too.
So I started eating 1200 calories but my weight stayed the same!
Then I tried eating my exercise calories on the day I went to the gym- still nothing!
Then a personal trainer friend suggested I eat my bmr for a few weeks to get my metabolism in check!
I tried this at 1800 and put a few pounds on!
Then I reduced to 1700 and 1600 and lost the few pounds I'd put on but then again it just stopped!
So this week I thought I'd eat less to try and boost my metabolism that way
So in a week of eating 1100 I've put 3lb on??
I just don't know what to do? How can I put weight on!
On all the forums it says to check food calories properly etc but I weight everything and bar code it on here??
I'm lost and don't know where to turn!
I'm drinking 2l of water everyday this week which is new for me as I never drink enough!
I used to do weight watchers and could only eat the basic 26points to lose weight so the eat more calories doesn't ring true?
I'm 40, 143lb and 5f5.5 my bmi is 24 so I'm not overweight but this is heavy for me and my body?
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I either do a spin or body pump class or weights and bike/treadmill!
I've not lost any inches either!
I'm at the end of my tether. I don't know where to turn! If I'd not followed it properly I'd understand but I've done it religiously!! It's really getting me down. It's been 5 months and nothing?!!!

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are honestly the height and weight you say you are and have been exercising as frequently as you say you have while only eating 1200 (or even 1600-1800) for 5 months AND you have not lost any weight. Personally I would suggest you let scientists test you because your DNA quite literally hold the cure for world hunger.

It is simply not possible for what you are saying to be true. Time for you to be honest with yourself.

• kirstio
    kirstio Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are honestly the height and weight you say you are and have been exercising as frequently as you say you have while only eating 1200 (or even 1600-1800) for 5 months AND you have not lost any weight. Personally I would suggest you let scientists test you because your DNA quite literally hold the cure for world hunger.

It is simply not possible for what you are saying to be true. Time for you to be honest with yourself.

You see this is what people say!
    I'm sat here in tears of frustration now!
    I swear on my children's lives that I'm been honest with myself!!
    I weigh and track everything. I add the milk in my tea, the 1 square of chocolate, the apples etc!!
    My husband watches me! I've spoke to personal trainers, nurses and friends no one can help me!
    Please stop saying I'm lying!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food on a food scale, then it's possible that you're eating more than you think. Get a food scale, start weighing portions for a week or two and see what happens. You have nothing to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kirstio wrote: »

You see this is what people say!
    I'm sat here in tears of frustration now!
    I swear on my children's lives that I'm been honest with myself!!
    I weigh and track everything. I add the milk in my tea, the 1 square of chocolate, the apples etc!!
    My husband watches me! I've spoke to personal trainers, nurses and friends no one can help me!
    Please stop saying I'm lying!

If you are being 100% honest in your logging and weighing 100% of the foods you eat, then you should probably see a doctor to see if there are any medical conditions that could be keeping you from losing at 1200.
  • kirstio
    Options
    I weigh everything on a food scale!! I measure milk, I cook my food separate to the family so I know it's exact!
  • findleynb
    findleynb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you had any virgin births lately?
  • kirstio
    Options
    I'm not impressed with people saying I'm lying. I came on here for help and support!
  • findleynb
    Options
    what is your BMR?
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not impressed with people saying I'm lying. I came on here for help and support!

People can be jerks here. Ignore them.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble! I would suggest either replacing the batteries in your food scale or buying a new one.

• findleynb
    edited June 2015
    Options
    according to my calculations, your BMR is 1381. If you eat 1200 calories per day, it will take you 19 to 20 days to lose 1 pound
  • breathnach79
    breathnach79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I completely understand why you are in tears and frustrated. I lost 9 stone (126lbs) over three years. Maintained it for year and half. When put on 7lbs thought would be easy to get it off instead I gained another 7lbs so instead of loosing 7lbs I am now 14lbs heavier. Was at witt end. Ate properly did exercise weight just kept going up severe bloating even when ate so well. Went to get food tolerance test done. Ended up some of foods was eating that includes fruit and veg have intolerance to. Just have to stay away from them for 6 weeks take so supplement i.e vit.Def bloating is has improved and have lost 2 lbs in a week. This might not be the same story for you but it's worth considering
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Please can anyone help. I'm at my wits end!
    I joined my fitness pal at Xmas and joined the gym too.
    So I started eating 1200 calories but my weight stayed the same!
    Then I tried eating my exercise calories on the day I went to the gym- still nothing!
    Then a personal trainer friend suggested I eat my bmr for a few weeks to get my metabolism in check!
    I tried this at 1800 and put a few pounds on!
    Then I reduced to 1700 and 1600 and lost the few pounds I'd put on but then again it just stopped!
    So this week I thought I'd eat less to try and boost my metabolism that way
    So in a week of eating 1100 I've put 3lb on??
    I just don't know what to do? How can I put weight on!
    On all the forums it says to check food calories properly etc but I weight everything and bar code it on here??
    I'm lost and don't know where to turn!
    I'm drinking 2l of water everyday this week which is new for me as I never drink enough!
    I used to do weight watchers and could only eat the basic 26points to lose weight so the eat more calories doesn't ring true?
    I'm 40, 143lb and 5f5.5 my bmi is 24 so I'm not overweight but this is heavy for me and my body?
    I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I either do a spin or body pump class or weights and bike/treadmill!
    I've not lost any inches either!
    I'm at the end of my tether. I don't know where to turn! If I'd not followed it properly I'd understand but I've done it religiously!! It's really getting me down. It's been 5 months and nothing?!!!

Kirstio Hunny, Stop beating ur self up.. i understand your frustration, When u try so hard & get no where...
    Have you been to doctors? Is it possible that its medical. Thyroid problems can make u gain weight & makes it hard to lose it too.. A friend of mine has been ill with hers awhile & dis-spite regular blood tests they didn't pick up on it because they tested for everything but that.. It has turned out she is also diabetic...

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nobody's accusing you of lying. Many people come in here saying they can't lose weight on 1200 calories, and it turns out they're eating much more than they think.

I believe you about weighing your food, which is why I suggested seeing a doctor. There are many illnesses (thyroid conditions, PCOS) that can mess with your metabolism from where it should be. Finding this out and getting treated will help, then you can determine what deficit you'll need from there as many have to eat lower than MFP gives them.
  • Jimazhaleijewdam
    Jimazhaleijewdam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating carbs??? Try not to
    Try interval training? Burns fat & calories more
    Grapefruit diet works as well.
    And for your height and weight it will be more difficult to lose since your not technically over weight.
  • kirstio
    Options
    Thanks who did the intolerance test??

Yes my bmr is around 1350. With moderate exercise it said 2000 so I tried eating 1500 but nothing. 1200 is doing nothing. I can lose .5lb but will put it back the next week! There's no downward pattern. I weight the same as when I started!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    findleynb wrote: »
    according to my calculations, your BMR is 1381. If you eat 1200 calories per day, it will take you 19 to 20 days to lose 1 pound

You're mathing wrong. Deficit to lose weight is calculated from TDEE not BMR.

But the point still stands that if you're truly calculating the "calories in" portion of the equation correctly, then the issue must be on the "calories out" side. Either in the form of miscalculation on that side or a medical issue of some sort that causes you to burn significantly less calories than the population average.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit diet? Uh, no!
  • kirstio
    Options
    I do eat some carbs. Although have cut out bread this week and weigh heavier?

A year ago I did a juice diet and lost weight. My problems seem to stem from then but I'm not sure how to put it right??
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is the same it never hurts to check in with your dr. I have a very slow metabolism due to the medication I need. Thus my sister eats Oreos and m&m' s and jokes I'll gain the weight for the food she eats . Just stay positive and continue with your journey.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks who did the intolerance test??
    Yes my bmr is around 1350. With moderate exercise it said 2000 so I tried eating 1500 but nothing. 1200 is doing nothing. I can lose .5lb but will put it back the next week! There's no downward pattern. I weight the same as when I started!

Look Kirstio, whether you secretly know what you are doing wrong, don't know what you are doing wrong or simply don't want to except you are doing something wrong as far as weighing and tracking your calorie intake CONSISTENTLY. The FACT is the problem does lie with you and not your body.

Your body has not miraculously found a way to defy the laws of energy balance.
    You are not a special, unique or magical case.
    You are no different to everyone else and knowingly or not, you are quite simply not doing all the things you are claiming you are doing.

Sorry, its not being mean or unsupportive but you need to be told bluntly as I feel at this point you are completely adamant not to accept that the error lies with you and we could sit here all day asking "are you doing X or Y" and I have a feeling you will say yes to all of them.

Your not eating 1200 calories, even with a naturally low metabolism, or a medical thyroid condition... it just ain't happening.