How do you set macros?

Options
Amyaya
Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
To reduce BF% and maintain the lean mass/improve strength, how do I set my macros?

I am female, I go to the gym 5 - 7 days a week, with average about 50mins work out.
Current BF% is 21.5% and my goal is about 17- 18%.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would go with 1.2 gram of protein per lb to calculate your calories from protein; then, you need about 0.3-0.45 g of fat per pound - that will give you your calories from fat; the remaining of your calorie budget comes from carbs.

each gram of carb and protein = 4 cal, 1 g of fat = 9 cal
  • Amyaya
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I would go with 1.2 gram of protein per lb to calculate your calories from protein; then, you need about 0.3-0.45 g of fat per pound - that will give you your calories from fat; the remaining of your calorie budget comes from carbs.

Thank you for the response!

So with the calculation above I have figured out I would need 632cal (158g protein), 441cal (49g fat), and 427cal from carb. (1500cal in total)

Does this sound right, to try loosing BF%?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Dietary fat calculation is right on I usually suggest 0.4g per lb of body weight, but protein is absurdly high.

Set protein at 0.82 grams per lb of body weight. If you want to know why, read this: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

The rest of your calories can be allocated to carbohydrates for quick burning energy, and because they're delicious
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Amyaya wrote: »

Thank you for the response!

So with the calculation above I have figured out I would need 632cal (158g protein), 441cal (49g fat), and 427cal from carb. (1500cal in total)

Does this sound right, to try loosing BF%?

Sorry I forgot to add, that I am about 60.3 - 60.5kg (about 132lb)
  • Amyaya
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Dietary fat calculation is right on I usually suggest 0.4g per lb of body weight, but protein is absurdly high.

Set protein at 0.82 grams per lb of body weight. If you want to know why, read this: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

The rest of your calories can be allocated to carbohydrates for quick burning energy, and because they're delicious

This would give me about 108g protein a day - which is I think achievable! I have my protein intake about 130g now and I find it hard reaching every day.

How do I not how much grams of carbs?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

This would give me about 108g protein a day - which is I think achievable! I have my protein intake about 130g now and I find it hard reaching every day.

Grams of carbs is not really calculated based on anything having to do with body weight. All you do is calculate fat and protein first, then multiply those gram amounts by their respective calorie values (9 calories per gram of fat and 4 calories per gram of protein). Then you add them up and subtract that from your total calorie goal.

For example, let's say your total calorie goal is 1500 calories, your protein goal is 108g of protein, and 53g of fat. First your 108g of protein comes out to (108g x 4 calories per gram) 432 calories. Your 53g of fat comes out to (53g x 9 calories per gram) 477 calories. The sum of those two values is (432+477) 909. Subtract 909 from your total goal of 1500 and you get 589 calorie left for carbs. Now to find out your gram amount for carbohydrates, just divide that amount by 4 (589/4) and you get 147 grams of carbohydrates. Sorry if that was confusing, that's the easiest way I know to explain it.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this, I had posted something similar the other day and got attacked because I had mentioned that not everyone needed to have such a high protein content to maintain lean muscle mass. Just another great read to prove that. :smile:
  • Amyaya
    Options

Grams of carbs is not really calculated based on anything having to do with body weight. All you do is calculate fat and protein first, then multiply those gram amounts by their respective calorie values (9 calories per gram of fat and 4 calories per gram of protein). Then you add them up and subtract that from your total calorie goal.

For example, let's say your total calorie goal is 1500 calories, your protein goal is 108g of protein, and 53g of fat. First your 108g of protein comes out to (108g x 4 calories per gram) 432 calories. Your 53g of fat comes out to (53g x 9 calories per gram) 477 calories. The sum of those two values is (432+477) 909. Subtract 909 from your total goal of 1500 and you get 589 calorie left for carbs. Now to find out your gram amount for carbohydrates, just divide that amount by 4 (589/4) and you get 147 grams of carbohydrates. Sorry if that was confusing, that's the easiest way I know to explain it.

Oh wow thank you for this SO MUCH!

Now I went back and changed my "Goals" on MFP.
    Current weight - 60.3kg - Goal weight - 55.0kg
    To loose 0.5kg per week

It has set my cal intake - 1564cal a day, and I played around a bit to change my macros according to your explanation - Cab: 137g (35%), Protein: 137g (35%), Fat 52g (30%).

Does this sound ok??
  • Amyaya
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks for posting this, I had posted something similar the other day and got attacked because I had mentioned that not everyone needed to have such a high protein content to maintain lean muscle mass. Just another great read to prove that. :smile:

:) How much protein do you set as your goal?
    I know - I was advised by other people that I would need at least 130g of protein - but This makes more sense, if 108g is enough for me I think I have been doing alright! I find it so difficult hitting 130g a day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I find the opposite to be the problem. My goal should be closer to 110-115 and I'm always eating 130-160 grams of protein. I don't think it's necessary but I enjoy protein. 160 is probably overkill though.
  • lleahpeaa
    lleahpeaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    I use that and it calculates everything for you I find it super easy and helpful. Just thought I'd post it incase it helps at all :)
  • M30834134
    Options
    Protein is very controversial subject and you will find studies for very high protein consumption and against it; similarly, there are tons of studies for low protein and against it. You just have to see what works for you and adjust over time.
  • M30834134
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Interesting, I find the opposite to be the problem. My goal should be closer to 110-115 and I'm always eating 130-160 grams of protein. I don't think it's necessary but I enjoy protein. 160 is probably overkill though.

I also prefer protein over carbs and rather take my calories from p than c.
  • Amyaya
    Options

Can I ask what sort of meals you have normally to hit that much protein? :)
  • Amyaya
    Options
    lleahpeaa wrote: »
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    I use that and it calculates everything for you I find it super easy and helpful. Just thought I'd post it incase it helps at all :)

Thank you for this!! x
  • Amyaya
    Options

I also prefer protein over carbs and rather take my calories from p than c.

I was advised to cut carbs in order to lower BF%. I would like to start consuming cal from protein more!
  • arditarose
    Options

I start the day with a quest bar, for lunch there is always a meat in my salad-usually tuna, shrimp or chicken, along with a Fage 0% yogurt. I sometimes have a second quest bar which I don't recommend but I have a little problem haha. I get another good 40-50 in at dinner with ground turkey or beef and then the little things throughout the day add up:cheese, beans, etc.
  • Amyaya
    Options

I start the day with a quest bar, for lunch there is always a meat in my salad-usually tuna, shrimp or chicken, along with a Fage 0% yogurt. I sometimes have a second quest bar which I don't recommend but I have a little problem haha. I get another good 40-50 in at dinner with ground turkey or beef and then the little things throughout the day add up:cheese, beans, etc.

Thank you! You are looking fab, exactly what I wanna be!
  • arditarose
    Options

Thank you! It was a pretty lucky day between post-workout pump and late afternoon sunlight lol.
  • Amyaya
    Options

Thank you! It was a pretty lucky day between post-workout pump and late afternoon sunlight lol.

How long have you been training for? I'm struggling getting rid of this flabby looks lol