Can I do CrossFit and still look soft?

Options
I have recently started CrossFit and I love it very much. The workouts push me and are really varied. Two weeks and already a few pounds down!

So for inspiration, I decided to research CrossFit Before and After pictures. They were amazing, but I started to see a trend. (*braces herself for backlash...*)

Their arms and shoulders looked bulky. They looked strong, but their abs squared out their torso. Their traps were snaking along their shoulders. They had Olympian bodies. Which is great! If that is what you are looking for.

(Just look up "20 hottest girls of CrossFit" to see what I mean.)

Is there a way to still do CrossFit but not bulk up? Or-- let me clarify-- keep a layer of fat between the muscle and the skin to remain soft? And the broad shoulders... I'd wish to avoid that.

Anyone have luck modifying their WODs to get a softer toned body, or have any advice for me? The CrossFit box I am at currently incorporates a lot of cardio already, so I am unsure how to modify.

Replies

• brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Many of those pictures you are looking at are crossfit athletes that workout as their main occupation. They WANT to look like that. In order for you to look like that you are going to have to have an incredibly regimented workout and nutrition plan. 3 or 4 WOD's a week isn't going to do it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    Many of those pictures you are looking at are crossfit athletes that workout as their main occupation. They WANT to look like that. In order for you to look like that you are going to have to have an incredibly regimented workout and nutrition plan. 3 or 4 WOD's a week isn't going to do it.

This.

They don't just do CrossFit. And then there is the element of diet. These people work to add muscle and to stay lean.

If you want to look soft, keep your bodyfat at a higher percentage. The defined look comes with lower bodyfat levels.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Well, of course the "20 hottest ladies of CrossFit" are going to look like that, because that's kind of the CrossFit/bodybuilding ideal to a certain extent. What do the women who go to your gym, who have been going to your gym for awhile, look like? That's probably a better guide of what YOU can expect, even if it's not perfect.

And of course, you will maintain a "softer" look simply by eating enough to maintain a slightly higher body fat percentage, but you might still gain the muscle bulk underneath that I gather you don't want. Or you could eat below/at maintenance and not build muscle (although, still, newbie gains and all, and recomp over time if you stick with CrossFit).

It does sound, though, like you're wanting more the type of body that people tend to get from diet plus yoga/barre/Pilates classes more than CrossFit and something lifting-intensive? Maybe look into that?
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I considered the fact that they are athletes too -- and you're right; probably not a great example. The women at my box are all randomly giantly tall. So it is difficult to tell. But mostly athletic, square bodies.

I did try barre a few years ago and ironically was pissy because they said you won't bulk up by doing their workouts (cue me: "girls don't bulk without supplements!" etc). Now that the fear of bulking is something I am admitting to, I may look into it again, but it really didn't hold my interest like CrossFit does. The community and competition and achievement are so fun! I've just always been known for my curves and am kind of afraid of losing them completely.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I agree with @3dogsrunning and @brandi9172 - plus to add those girls might even have a genetic predisposition to develop muscle/look a certain way, so it's not necessarily the result you could expect even if you copied their intense workout and diet regimes to the letter. Much like most of us will never compete in the Olympics, even if we had had access to their training teams and facilities from primary school.

You would have to really put the hours in over a long period of time to develop enough muscle to have the look you're not keen on, so it won't sneak up on you. Odds are, a couple of months to a year down the line, you'll just look like a slightly more athletic version of yourself! Glad you found something active that you enjoy so much.
  • half_moon
    Options
    If you want to look soft, keep your bodyfat at a higher percentage. The defined look comes with lower bodyfat levels.

Sorry to sound like such a noob-- but how do I keep my body fat higher? Not cut as many calories? Or simply keep a few sugars and fats in my diet?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »

Sorry to sound like such a noob-- but how do I keep my body fat higher? Not cut as many calories? Or simply keep a few sugars and fats in my diet?

Eat more. Don't lose as much weight. :)

What an awesome solution.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You should already have fats in your diet, they're essential to good health.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Don't cut as many calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have recently started CrossFit and I love it very much. The workouts push me and are really varied. Two weeks and already a few pounds down!

So for inspiration, I decided to research CrossFit Before and After pictures. They were amazing, but I started to see a trend. (*braces herself for backlash...*)

Their arms and shoulders looked bulky. They looked strong, but their abs squared out their torso. Their traps were snaking along their shoulders. They had Olympian bodies. Which is great! If that is what you are looking for.

(Just look up "20 hottest girls of CrossFit" to see what I mean.)

Is there a way to still do CrossFit but not bulk up? Or-- let me clarify-- keep a layer of fat between the muscle and the skin to remain soft? And the broad shoulders... I'd wish to avoid that.

Anyone have luck modifying their WODs to get a softer toned body, or have any advice for me? The CrossFit box I am at currently incorporates a lot of cardio already, so I am unsure how to modify.

yes, stop eating at a deficit when you get to your desired bodyfat %... simple...
  • half_moon
    Options
    Haha. I've been waiting for years for someone to prescribe that to me! ;)

Right now I aspire to 1500 calories/day. No paleo for me -- Luna bars, salads, fruits, chicken sandwiches, the occasional Popsicle. :D

I still need to shred off the fat I have now, but perhaps when I get closer to my goal I will increase my caloric intake.

As far as the reps and lifting done at the gym...? Should I avoid those, or do more reps vs more weight etc?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has done CrossFit religiously for 3 years. When she goes on vacation, she visits a local CrossFit to keep up with her workouts.

She doesn't look bulky or super muscular. She looks... regular. Actually, at the moment she looks 6.5 months pregnant, because she is.

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do Crossfit until you like the way you look and then quit for something less strenuous? People change their diets to some degree in "maintenance." The same can be done with exercise.

In my opinion, your words indicate that you are sabotaging a solution to one problem by imagining another one. If you really need to lose fat, then lose it and worry about when you should stop later. If you got "bulky" somehow it would take two weeks to make it go away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    Why don't you do Crossfit until you like the way you look and then quit for something less strenuous? People change their diets to some degree in "maintenance." The same can be done with exercise.

In my opinion, your words indicate that you are sabotaging a solution to one problem by imagining another one. If you really need to lose fat, then lose it and worry about when you should stop later. If you got "bulky" somehow it would take two weeks to make it go away.

there's no need to stop when OP gets to the desired bodyfat... just eat more to maintain that level...
  • half_moon
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    If you got "bulky" somehow it would take two weeks to make it go away.

Oh, I didn't know that.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There's also something of a genetic predisposition to do that. I have wide shoulders and slightly heavier musculature on them my whole life. Since I was little, people have commented on this - mostly in an up-beat fashion, but it's been a thing. At my lower weights and body fat % I wear a size 12 suit jacket and a size 6 pants. And the suit jacket isn't because of my chest. It's my shoulders. And my exercises for many years were swimming and ballet. No weights. No crossfit. My shoulders look bulkier than other womens' without me even trying

On the up side. Lifting hasn't really made that worse. It's just the way I've always been. I suspect that if you like the way you look now, the crossfit isn't going to change that in a negative way. And if you have a tendency to bulk up fast, you'd probably already be aware of it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    All the women at the local crossfit gyms look pretty normal to me. My cousin has been doing crossfit for as long as I have been doing bodybuilding and she doesn't have that bulky look.

I've been working on building mass and trying to look bulky for 3 years. It's been a lot of work and I'm not even close to looking bulky.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody suddenly wakes up one day and looks like one of the 20 Hottest Girls of CrossFit. That's not something that happens by accident. You will have plenty of warning (like, months to years) that you are approaching that level of muscularity and athleticism. If you start to notice that you are getting too muscular in one area, like your shoulders, back off training that area. At that point, you'll be familiar enough with your training and lifting in general to be able to adjust (or you can talk to the trainers at your gym and they can help you).
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agree with the last 2 ladies - you do not get ripped by accident. I have been working out with weights for years and I have definition but I am not "bulky". Although once you start getting definition you might get a little hooked on it :smile: I am a little bigger in the arms and legs than I thought I would be comfortable with but I am really loving it!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Th women at my Crossfit box mostly Have th look you're after. you don't accidently look like top level athletes... You have to diliberatly work for that look.

And no, your normal WODs won't accidently give you that look.