How do I start lifting free weights?

Options
hi guys, need some advice on weight training. I've lost a lot of weight recently with exercise DVD's and using a cross trainer all at home and following a Rosemary Conley diet.

I've just started going to the gym for the first time ever. Went to a really well equipped gym where It was suggested I do mainly cardio (as I still have weight to loose) with some light weights using the machines. The trouble is, I want to find out a lot more about free weights but I'm too nervous to ask and I don't know what the hell im doing, complete fish out of water.

Tried another gym that is very basic and concentrates on weight training. Had a short discussion on what I should be doing. Explained to him that I was told to do mainly cardio and he said 'NO'. Went yesterday to this gym and I spent a while standing round not knowing what to do and didn't feel that I achieved anything:(.

I am at present not in a position to be able to pay for a personal trainer. Just feel very frustrated and down hearted about it all.

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• kezz40
    kezz40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Paul, would be great to have your help and advice.

I look around the gym at the moment and I haven't got a clue on how to set the equipment up let alone use it!

Really want to burn fat everywhere but it's really stubborn on stomach, bum and thighs, that's mainly where I carry my unwanted weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For starters, you cannot spot reduce.. You will loose weight all over and in turn the weight will come off the places you so, it will just be all over.

Start lifting heavy now.. I only recommend that you learn the exercises and proper form first and foremost. You then need to get someone to show how to use the equipment along with proper form... I cannot stress enough.. the proper form..

But before you start using equipment, you need a lifting program to follow. No need to start with "barbie" weights...

Start looking for a lifting program for women... StrongLifts, StrongCurves, New Rules of Lifting for women, etc..
  • kezz40
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice gia07. Yeah unfortunately I know that I can't shed fat from a specific area, mores the pity! I was wondering if I should concentrate more on those specific areas? When you say form and lifting programme, is that something that can only be done through a personal trainer? Any help is greatly appreciated! X
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are two really common beginning free weights programs that are very similar. You can find the instructions for them on the Internet along with a TON of technique videos on how to do the lifts correctly. Both involve three workouts a week, three exercises per workout (with the option to add more later if you want). New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves are a little more time-intensive.

If you can't work with a trainer to check your form--even one session--and you don't feel confident asking someone at your gym to help you out, take a video of yourself squatting, deadlifting, etc and upload it here! People will be happy to check your form and give you suggestions. :)

I've just starting doing a modified version of Starting Strength. I don't have a trainer, but I did have a friend who lifts check my squat and deadlift form (I'm paranoid about back injury) at the beginning as well as show me the little bits of weightlifting etiquette. Like, "everyone knows" to rerack your weights when you're done, but he showed me that each weight disc actually goes in a different spot (5 lb, 10 lb, etc). Also how to set up the squat rack for someone as small as me--I'm too short for the safey bars! >:)

As far as mixing in cardio: I am primarily a runner, also a fair-weather cyclist. I lift 2x week, in the evenings on days I run hard in the morning. I follow the "keep hard days hard and easy days EASY" rule. This does mean I don't progress in lifting as fast as the programs would have me, since my legs are always tired going into a workout, but that's fine.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Lifting light to tone is an evil lie. A good basic starting program is Starting Strength. Nice, basic, compound lifts. There's also Stronglifts and new rules of lifting for women (though nrolfw gets a bit complex and annoying). Look at videos for form and work at the lighter weight until you have it down. Then start adding. It's like any other exercise program; only scary until you figure it out. Happy lifting!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Look up and read Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Don't worry about getting "bulky." Worrying about picking up heavy weights and getting bulky is like worrying about going to college and accidentally getting a PHd. Also, you can't spot reduce. But you can make an area look better by building muscle in that area. Build muscle by picking up heavy things.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend as well. You can good some good programs, then look for examples of how to properly do the exercises on Youtube. that should give you some idea.

As othes have said, you won't get bulky. You don't have the testosterone for it :)
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend.

Search terms to not miss:

stronglifts

squat

barbell squat

low bar barbell squat -- (some people prefer high bar and even if low bar is as great as Mark Rippetoe claims the high bar squat is still better than nothing)

rippetoe

deadlift -- (Ignore any video that starts this exercise from standing. You are supposed to lift a bar off the floor and put it back down.)

overhead press -- (should just be called "the press" but that search term will probably include too many bench press videos to be useful.)

bench press

pendlay row -- (a barbell row where, like the deadlift, you pick the barbell off the floor each time)

one arm dumbbell row / single arm dumbbell row -- (and easier back exercise than the Pendlay row and arguably the best thing you could do with a dumbbell)

So, you only need to do three exercises three times a week, starting light enough to manage your sets and then increasing the weight by a minimal amount each time you go to the gym. Like this:

Week 1

Workout A = squat, bench press, row (pendlay or dumbbell)

Workout B = squat, overhead press, deadlift

A

Week 2

B

A

B

And that's it. Stronglifts recommends 5 sets of 5 but 3 sets of 5 would be sufficient. For warming up, wait until you increase your squat about 20 to 40 lbs and then do 2 sets of 5 with just the bar before doing your working sets. When you get up another 20-40 lbs, start doing 2-3 reps with an intermediate weight before doing your working sets.

So if you are squatting 135 lbs you could do the following

2x5 empty bar

3x 85 lbs

2 x 15

Do your 3 or 5 working sets.

Do a similar warm-up for the presses and by the time you reach your 3rd lift you will probably be warmed up enough.

This will change your life.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    kezz40 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice gia07. Yeah unfortunately I know that I can't shed fat from a specific area, mores the pity! I was wondering if I should concentrate more on those specific areas? When you say form and lifting programme, is that something that can only be done through a personal trainer? Any help is greatly appreciated! X

Not at all! No one NEEDS a personal trainer. Just youtube form videos for the various lifts. Trainers are really hit and miss anyways. There's no guarantee you'd end up with a good one.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book "Starting Strength" and read it thoroughly. You don't necessarily have to follow that program but it teaches you the important compound lifts with proper form.
  • mbrown655
    mbrown655 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the "lift light to tone" crowd. Do what others are suggesting and start with a beginner lifting routine like the 5x5 or other similar programs. Basically learn the primary compound lifts then do a fully body workout 3 days a week with at least 1 day of rest between workouts. Throw in a couple 4-6 min HIIT workouts and a couple 30 min steady state cardio workouts and you have yourself a muscle building, fat burning week.
  • Stella014
    Stella014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Kezz
    Same here. I've been reading a lot about heavy lifting, looked at the videos and got the book Strong curves. It looks like it's something I would really enjoy but going to the gym and actually doing it seems so daunting.
    I've even looked at getting all the stuff in the house just to avoid having to ask but then the logic part of my is saying that I'm already paying for a gym membership and it's silly to go and by something that's available there.
    I've got a class booked for tomorrow and will check whether they have any personal trainers who can help me get started and will then try and do the strong curves program.
    I think at some point we just have to go and do it...
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    Youtube is your friend.

Search terms to not miss:

stronglifts

squat

barbell squat

low bar barbell squat -- (some people prefer high bar and even if low bar is as great as Mark Rippetoe claims the high bar squat is still better than nothing)

rippetoe

deadlift -- (Ignore any video that starts this exercise from standing. You are supposed to lift a bar off the floor and put it back down.)

overhead press -- (should just be called "the press" but that search term will probably include too many bench press videos to be useful.)

bench press

pendlay row -- (a barbell row where, like the deadlift, you pick the barbell off the floor each time)

one arm dumbbell row / single arm dumbbell row -- (and easier back exercise than the Pendlay row and arguably the best thing you could do with a dumbbell)

So, you only need to do three exercises three times a week, starting light enough to manage your sets and then increasing the weight by a minimal amount each time you go to the gym. Like this:

Week 1

Workout A = squat, bench press, row (pendlay or dumbbell)

Workout B = squat, overhead press, deadlift

A

Week 2

B

A

B

And that's it. Stronglifts recommends 5 sets of 5 but 3 sets of 5 would be sufficient. For warming up, wait until you increase your squat about 20 to 40 lbs and then do 2 sets of 5 with just the bar before doing your working sets. When you get up another 20-40 lbs, start doing 2-3 reps with an intermediate weight before doing your working sets.

So if you are squatting 135 lbs you could do the following

2x5 empty bar

3x 85 lbs

2 x 15

Do your 3 or 5 working sets.

Do a similar warm-up for the presses and by the time you reach your 3rd lift you will probably be warmed up enough.

This will change your life.

Loving your advice. I started barbell today, 20kgs, and I can take some tips away with me. Thank you!
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Swing over to Bodybuilding.com and sign up for free, then go to choose a plan which is also free. Answer a few questions on goals and skill level and it will spit out a list of workout plans you can choose from. The Jamie Eason 12 week trainer is a popular one for new comers. Throw the BB.com app on your phone(yup that's free too!) you can then use your phone to follow your workout plan in the gym. If you are unfamiliar with a workout movement you can click on it to get written instructions and a 10sec video on how to do it. This is a great way to introduce you to a whole new world of free weights, machines, and movements. Stick with it for the 12 weeks and you will see great results!
  • Groomy13
    Groomy13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know where your coming from, that was me 6 years ago. I started with 10 weeks of personal training sessions but at 35 quid a session that wasn't going to last. I decided to buy the men's health MUSCLE book. It starts off really simple and you can use it for 18 months and it takes you from beniner to advanced. Good luck.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also, just some basic info if you are completely new to lifting...

When there is a reference to 3x5 or 2x5, the first number is the amount of sets and the second number is the amount of reps.

So you would do squats with an empty bar 5 times (reps), move on to the next exercise and do that one 5 times (reps), 3rd exercise 5 times (reps). When you've finished all three exercises, that's one set.

Then you repeat this same cycle until you finish the number of sets.
  • kezz40
    Options
    All great advice guys! Seems so much to take in but will try and get my head round it. Will definitely look at the websites and have a look on u tube. Will keep you posted on how I'm getting on! Thank you again
  • kezz40
    Options
    Justme2691 thank you for that bit of advice. I kept hearing reps and sets and although it's common sense, when your feeling a bit out of your depth and a bit intimidated and new to the gym, and the trainer is explaining things and how to use the machines, your head gets in a spin.....well mine does anyhow!