I need to STOP ALCOHOL & Start Exercising...

I know that my issue is drinking way too much alcohol, almost everyday! Taco Tuesdays, Wednesday Wine Nights, Thirsty Thursdays and before you know it, it's the weekend! By cutting alcohol, late night sweets & 30 minutes of walking everyday (which Im never active) I'm hoping to lose 10-12 pounds by July 10. Support & friends needed! I'm the biggest I have ever been at 189 pounds & 35 years old.

Replies

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Uhh I mean this in the nicest way possible, but health factors aside; don't you think that there is something wrong with drinking everyday to begin with?

:/ just saying....
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Uhh I mean this in the nicest way possible, but health factors aside; don't you think that there is something wrong with drinking everyday to begin with?

Well, she did say 'my issue is drinking way too much alcohol', so it sounds like she knows it's too much :P Though I thought a bit of alcohol everyday wasn't that unusual, like having a glass of wine with dinner each day or whatever.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yeah but this doesn't sound like a glass of wine or drink with dinner this sounds like going to the bar or club every night for "Thristy Thursdays" and things like that...

Just my perception of the original post although I could definitely be wrong.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Yeah but this doesn't sound like a glass of wine or drink with dinner this sounds like going to the bar or club every night for "Thristy Thursdays" and things like that...

Just my perception of the original post although I could definitely be wrong.

Yeah I got the same impression, just wondering if there was something wrong with drinking everyday, or if you're fine to drink everyday if you drink too much.

Anyway, to actually respond to the OP, feel free to add me if you want!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    It sounds yo me like you have a case of toomuchitis, you don't seem to know when to stop. I mean a glass or two a day is ok but constantly drinking too much can damage your liver and if that goes your health is going to deteriate. You need to drink plenty water and flush out all the toxins in your body caused by overindulgence. I walked over 40 mins in the morning and the same every evening five times a week. I lost weight over five months and loved it. That was 5 years ago when I was younger and had only 3 kids. I got pregnant and had a girl after 3 boys and piled on the weight. I'm losing it now.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    There was a recent show on TV over in the UK, which had 2 twins, both who were doctors and they looked at how drinking effects the body. They focused not on how much but how it's drunk.
    They took the daily "recommended" amount, 2 units a day. 1 drank 2 units per day and the other drank all his units in 1 day, so 21 units in a night.

At the end of a month they had a number of checks to see what the effect of consistent drinking can do and surprisingly even though in some aspects the binge drinking had a worse effect the overall effect of hardening the liver, which is one of the main issues was the same across both of them.

So yes, drinking a couple of glasses of wine a night is actually damaging to the liver, they estimated that it would require something like a couple of months of no drinking to get the liver to repair the damage caused by drinking the 2 units a day for a month.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    I used to have this problem too, too much of a socialite!

I have really cut back now, to the stage where I will go to the pub and not want to drink alcohol, which I never thought would happen! There were a couple of things that helped me;

Find some friends which you can do activities which don't involve alcohol. I met a group of people who have now become really good friends at a comic book club (I'm a bit of a geek), and since then we get together and play role play games, board games, have shopping trips for cosplay outfits and things.

Also, just throw yourself into weight loss! Check out how many calories are in alcohol, drink aware is a good site to use and has a calculator so you can see how many calories you are consuming through alcohol. Try to fit those calories into your daily allowance if you know you are going out. I found that once I started exercising more, and being more aware of the calories in alcohol, and started seeing some progress with my weight loss that it really motivated me to cut down on the drinking with very little effort at all.

Good luck :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    I know that my issue is drinking way too much alcohol, almost everyday! Taco Tuesdays, Wednesday Wine Nights, Thirsty Thursdays and before you know it, it's the weekend! By cutting alcohol, late night sweets & 30 minutes of walking everyday (which Im never active) I'm hoping to lose 10-12 pounds by July 10. Support & friends needed! I'm the biggest I have ever been at 189 pounds & 35 years old.

If you do that, you'll definitely lose weight, though I don't know about July 10th. But maybe...

You're an extrovert, need a lot of stimulation to avoid boredom, maybe? I have a friend like that. She got really into aerobics, keeps her busy. Or you could join a sports team, if being around people matters to you?
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    I found over time that the people I really wanted to spend time with were not the people at the bar. I learned that I made stronger and better social relationships in run club. Check out workouts that are social activities. Group runs, outdoor yoga, or zhumba class.
  • bustedup
    bustedup Posts: 17 Member
    I'm in a similar position OP, though not daily. When I drink I not only consume the calories in alcohol but late night snacks, usually a poor breakfast the next day, etc. I am now prioritizing my health and weight loss is becoming more satisfying than a night out. Feel free to add me.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I'm in a similar situation, OP. I'm sending you a friend request and will do my best to support you. I am striving for a dry June. June tends to be my worst month for excessive drinking due to the anniversary of my father's death, father's day, seeing my mother more (yes, just interacting with her is extremely stressful for me), summer barbecues etc. I was just trying to fit it into my calories but due to my past issues I'm just cutting it out this month. So far so good... :)
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Fortunately, my body just can't 'handle' too much alcohol. If I drink even a 'bit' (and I mean 'a bit'.... .3 of an ounce of hard liquor for example) I will most likely be sick the next day!
    However, I do like to have a little every every afternoon...an issue that has been going on for quite some time...not good I know.
  • Acorrineh
    Acorrineh Posts: 17 Member
    Do you have support to stop or reduce drinking? Same for your health goals? It can be a hard road if you have someone close that continues old habits in your environment. Ihave the same issues. We can allsupport each other! I know for me, when I feel like getting off track, distraction helps; yoga, housework, go for a walk, etc.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I use to drink every night as well (I'm a heavy drinker 5+ drinks a night) and I had to change it to only 2 nights a week. I'm still losing so I'm doing something right while still getting to go out and be social.
  • just4me123456
    just4me123456 Posts: 35 Member
    The other great benefit of quitting drinking, especially when you drink that much, is the bloat will likely reduce significantly! You may want to check in with your gp about support: it can be dangerous for heAvy drinkers to stop drinking suddenly.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I don't drink at all. I don't exercise either. Damnit. :lol:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I used to be a heavy drinker. I stopped without much effort not long after I started practicing yoga regularly.

How about you join a gym and go to group exercise classes the same nights and times you used to do Taco Tuesday, etc? You'll get socializing and exercise, and not the extra calories from booze.
  • Susanna5781
    Susanna5781 Posts: 10 Member
    Im not sure what kind of drinks you prefer, but I started watering down the wine, and putting less liquor in mixed drinks. That has helped my greatly.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015

in and of itself, no I don't think there is anything wrong with having a drink every day. not me but sure why not. I've known people to have a beer when they get home from work. a beer. and I've also known bingers on Friday nights. I'd be more worried about the Friday drinker. unscientific opinion

OP: you can still drink if it fits in your CICO but be aware that alcohol is hard on your body. If I go out, I mostly find a soda will do me. I've been known to ask for a virgin rum and coke or virgin screwdriver.
    If your drinking is getting unmanageable and interfering with your life ask your dr for suggests, try a 12 step, find other like minded people

@snowflakesav you are right. Mostly I hang out with people outside of the bars now that I've gotten active. Mostly :tongue:
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    I know the feels

I cut back and then cut it out (except special occasions)

it sucks at first but you get used to it. and having a fully functional liver is cool too