Alcohol and barbecues on a 1200cal diet

Options

Replies

• Akibo23
    Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    15 or so years ago my friends used to call me 'Syphon' for the vast amounts of beer I could suck down. 5 years ago I quit liquid calories, I'd rather eat them then drink them (aside from needing to supplement my protein).

I took some ribbing at the next few parties, but it subsided pretty quick. Now it's no big deal when I 'Syphon' down tons of water at a party.

That is encouraging !! Water over alcohol - way to go.

I shall spike my soda water with violet syrup and hope no one notices :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Akibo23 wrote: »
    > No, you can't - Mojito contains sugar. What works well though is Campari Soda, it adds color and flavor and actually is a normal drink.
    > as far as I understand 1200cal is a minimum you should not get under; 1200 = total calorie intake, not net. calories.
    > You look far from overweight, maybe just change your attitude towards your body?

- Thanks for the tip :) I shall definitely try this !
    - 1200 is my max allowed for a day. This ensures I can still continue to lose the 10lbs to be in my optimal weight zone.
    - i am not overweight but I am not fit and toned either .. Goal is to shed the excess pounds and gain muscle instead :)

If this is what you think, you don't have a good understanding of how this works.

Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try and average your calories out over the week so that one bad day doesn't matter as much.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    1200 should be your absolute minimum, not your maximum.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    Try and average your calories out over the week so that one bad day doesn't matter as much.
    That's the attempt now!

• Akibo23
    Options

For my height and weightloss goal of 10lbs in 4months that's the maximum set by the app. TDEEE is at 2000
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For my height and weightloss goal of 10lbs in 4months that's the maximum set by the app. TDEEE is at 2000

10 pounds in 4 months is 0.5 lb per week, so if your TDEE is 2000 then you should be eating around 1750 cals....
  • Akibo23
    Options
    10 pounds in 4 months is 0.5 lb per week, so if your TDEE is 2000 then you should be eating around 1750 cals....

Agreed! But I'm trying to create a deficit by logging in at 1300-1500 a day and not over. Since I'm sure I could easily eat a cheesecake and Doritos with avocado dip without sharing if I don't watch out. :(

• TavistockToad
    Options

Agreed! But I'm trying to create a deficit by logging in at 1300-1500 a day and not over. Since I'm sure I could easily eat a cheesecake and Doritos with avocado dip without sharing if I don't watch out. :(

yeah but there's no need to have a deficit of 500+ cals when you have so little to lose... you're just encouraging your body to burn muscle instead of fat
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much what others think, and what makes you think they will be paying any mind to what you are eating and/or drinking anyway? IME the only time people comment on what other people are eating or drinking at a party is if the person in question is going on and on about it themselves ;)

As for how to get thru the weekend's bbqs - you've gotten great advice so far, the only thing I would add is that while you may go over today (poor planning), you can absolutely plan better for Saturday and Sunday. And if your TDEE is 2000, FWIU you can up up to that without gaining weight. You might not see much of a loss this week, but you can certainly make up for that another week down the line.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

As above, your target of 1200 cal seems very low.

For someone who is able to convert deg F to Deg C, metres to feet and Kg to pounds for the benefit of other nationalities, I would have thought you would know your daily cal goal. Are you sure you have set up your MFP goals correctly.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    yeah but there's no need to have a deficit of 500+ cals when you have so little to loose... you're just encouraging your body to burn muscle instead of fat

Well not necessarily. Since by creating a deficit I can lose some muscles but more fat along the way and up it to 1lb loss on a good week. I've fluctuated with calorie loss before...
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bring something to share that's healthy, low calorie, and delicious, like fresh fruit, vegetables, or salad, to make sure that there is at least one good choice that you can eat a lot of and not worry so much about calories. Also, try not to eat mindlessly - put chips and dip on a plate rather than grab handfulls from the bowl, etc.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Why do you care so much what others think, and what makes you think they will be paying any mind to what you are eating and/or drinking anyway? IME the only time people comment on what other people are eating or drinking at a party is if the person in question is going on and on about it themselves ;)

As for how to get thru the weekend's bbqs - you've gotten great advice so far, the only thing I would add is that while you may go over today (poor planning), you can absolutely plan better for Saturday and Sunday. And if your TDEE is 2000, FWIU you can up up to that without gaining weight. You might not see much of a loss this week, but you can certainly make up for that another week down the line.

I will try to not care so much. DH said the same. I suppose I should just have fun and not worry about comments too much.

And that's the plan since today it's already a bit too late. Let's see how much exercises I can fit in the coming week :)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    So, you have a lot of great advice so far, but here's another tip. I very seldom ever drink while out, and people barely notice, because I don't make a big deal out of it. I'm allergic to both beer and wine. I drink scotch, but most of the venues I go to don't carry the high iodine scotches I prefer, so I usually just take a pass all together and drink my own scotch when I am in a position to really enjoy it.

People won't think you're strange for not drinking if you don't ACT strange about not drinking. There isn't anything wrong with having as many beers fit into the calories you want, but no one will make a big deal about you drinking water if you look like you're enjoying what you're doing. If you look like the water is POISONED, then yes, they'll be concerned, but mostly that concern is about you having a good time. So find your good time the way YOU want it. With or without deficit. Decide what you want to do and then enjoy it.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    yeah but there's no need to have a deficit of 500+ cals when you have so little to loose... you're just encouraging your body to burn muscle instead of fat

Well not necessarily. Since by creating a deficit I can lose some muscles but more fat along the way and up it to 1lb loss on a good week. I've fluctuated with calorie loss before...

I don't understand the point of this whole thread at all... you could easily eat more and still be in a deficit.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find that drinking anything fizzy out of a wine glass makes you feel festive (or champaign if that's your drink of choice). Some ideas for drinks:
    vodka and seltzer with lime - If you like mojitos add some fresh mint muddles or not
    Wine spritzer - 1/3 to 1/2 glass of wine with seltzer on ice
    Corona light has 99 calories in the entire beer so you can have 2 or three of those with a veggie burger and keep it under 700 calories.

I often indulge on weekends, fridays are sushi followed by a scoop of full fat ice cream and Saturdays and Sundays are wild cards but as long as you are conscious of what you consume then you can always get back on track come monday.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I find that drinking anything fizzy out of a wine glass makes you feel festive (or champaign if that's your drink of choice). Some ideas for drinks:
    vodka and seltzer with lime - If you like mojitos add some fresh mint muddles or not
    Wine spritzer - 1/3 to 1/2 glass of wine with seltzer on ice
    Corona light has 99 calories in the entire beer so you can have 2 or three of those with a veggie burger and keep it under 700 calories.

I often indulge on weekends, fridays are sushi followed by a scoop of full fat ice cream and Saturdays and Sundays are wild cards but as long as you are conscious of what you consume then you can always get back on track come monday.

Thanks a ton. That helps :) lots of great ideas indeed.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    fishcat123 wrote: »
    Bring something to share that's healthy, low calorie, and delicious, like fresh fruit, vegetables, or salad, to make sure that there is at least one good choice that you can eat a lot of and not worry so much about calories. Also, try not to eat mindlessly - put chips and dip on a plate rather than grab handfulls from the bowl, etc.

Trying to put salads and fruits for dessert.Should work with heat out here atm :)

Thanks for the idea!
  • Akibo23
    Options

As above, your target of 1200 cal seems very low.

For someone who is able to convert deg F to Deg C, metres to feet and Kg to pounds for the benefit of other nationalities, I would have thought you would know your daily cal goal. Are you sure you have set up your MFP goals correctly.

Pretty sure I have it mapped correctly. Got it verified at the gym as well.

I'm trying to achieve a 1200-1400cal logs for days when I skip exercising due to various reasons.