Do I gain water weight through out the day?

Options
I'm so confused right now because through out the whole week I woke up to 211-213 pounds, but on the end of the day I go to 217. The next morning I weigh my self again and I am back to 211-213. I eat clean and drink a lot of water through out the day. Which one is my real weight?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well... as you say, you eat throughout the day. There's gonna be more food in you in the evening than in the morning!
  • smugleafx
    smugleafx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well... as you say, you eat throughout the day. There's gonna be more food in you in the evening than in the morning!

Yeah but it's known that losing water weight is easier than losing unneeded weight, and im losing about 4 pounds over night

Nice Jinx avatar by the way.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Assume that the weight you are first thing in the morning (Ideally before you have eaten breakfast and after you have been to the toilet) is you true weight. If you weigh yourself at the same time in the morning and each week the scales are decreasing then you are on track. Don't bother weighing yourself before bed/evening etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    smugleafx wrote: »
    I'm so confused right now because through out the whole week I woke up to 211-213 pounds, but on the end of the day I go to 217. The next morning I weigh my self again and I am back to 211-213. I eat clean and drink a lot of water through out the day. Which one is my real weight?

well, I assume you eat and drink throughout the day...your food and beverage have mass and thus weight...that doesn't just disappear because you chewed it up and swallowed it.

you are always going to have fluctuations due to water retention/release and variable degrees of waste in your system.

my advice would be to step away from the scale...there is absolutely no need to weigh yourself multiple times per day, particularly when you don't understand naturally occurring weight fluctuations.

step back and track the trends and stop worrying about the weigh in to weigh in number. bodey weight isn't static...lose this notion that you have a "true" weight...your weight is a range dependent on numerous factors.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter...we don't have a scale weight we have a weight range as it constantly fluctuates across the day and month

Take the morning weight, after bathroom and naked ...it will be the closest to stable
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yeah but it's known that losing water weight is easier than losing unneeded weight, and im losing about 4 pounds over night

Nice Jinx avatar by the way.

Well the food you've eaten isn't water weight, unless you've only drunk water all day! And water weight is generally lost by sweating, breathing and weeing, which you do during the night and in the morning. As you say, it's easy to lose water weight - that's what you do every night.

And thanks haha, maybe soon I can look like that again XD
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yep, food/water. I've seen fluctuations as much as 11 lbs. over a few hours with the same scale and no clothing either time. Don't stress too much about it... in fact, it is probably easiest if you just weight consistently at the same time/day each week (and only each week).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    do a little experiment...get an empty bucket and put it on the scale and tare it...then poop and pea in it and see what that weighs...if that weighs 2 Lbs then guess what...you just lost 2 Lbs.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Conservation of mass:

Every time you eat or drink you gain weight. Every. Time.
    Every time you urinate or defecate you lose weight. Every. Time.

One pint of water is about a pound. Drink a pint, gain a pound. You will lose that weight next time you go to the bathroom.

Weigh yourself at a consistent time of the day, first thing in the morning after your morning business and before eating is a time that works for most people, and it's a good general baseline. Your weight will fluctuate over the course of the rest of the day due to all the eating and drinking and excreting you do.

BTW: Most of the actual weight you do lose by metabolizing your fat stores leave your body through your breath. And no, you don't lose more weight by breathing faster, unless it's driven by exercise.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk job where I'm sitting in a chair and my legs are constantly under me. Some days, I get too busy to move very much and sometimes forget to drink as much as I should. On those days, especially if they're around my menstral cycle, I can gain 5lbs or more.

It doesn't really matter at what time of day you weigh yourself, as you're measuring progress. However, I'd highly suggest weighing in at the same time from the days before. I weigh myself all the time, but it's a bad habit. I'm somewhat moribidly curious about my own water weight too, especially on days when it's so bad that my ankles are swollen.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can lose several pounds of water during a run, lost through breathing and sweat. I actually weigh myself before a long run and again after to see how much water I need to drink to replenish it. The next day, my weight has usually not changed much from the before run weight.