Rebelling against exercise

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    No, I am exactly the opposite. I love to move.

Get off the elliptical and find something more productive and interesting to do. Weight loss aside, you need to be active for a larger portion of your day just for general health. 15-20 minutes does not cut it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Get off the elliptical and find something more productive and interesting to do. Weight loss aside, you need to be active for a larger portion of your day just for general health. 15-20 minutes does not cut it.

I'm glad you're not talking to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Yes, it's important to interact frequently with gravity throughout the day.

The OP is also walking during lunch.

I get up and down all the time throughout my workday.

• Piercep5
    Piercep5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at a deficit and only walked for exercise for many months before. Obviously it works for weight loss and if your only goal is weight loss, then it's fine. However, I wanted to improve my muscle definition as I lost weight, otherwise you end up looking pencil thin. In hindsight, it would have been better to do strength exercises while eating low calories, but still with a high percentage of protein. Then you will have some sort of muscle tone later instead of just being a smaller version of your current self.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

For you maybe, but that's not true for everyone. I just got done with 15 minutes of playground body-weight strength training exercises, and that's all I've done today besides my normal day to day stuff. Tomorrow I'll walk for 2 miles, which takes around 20 minutes. That's plenty of extra activity for me and I'm in fantastic health ;)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I only like exercise if it feels like play - hence hiking, kettlebells (especially ones with faces), jump rope. I go back & forth between liking running & hating it - running in the snow is fun or on a shady trail. Everything else makes me stabby.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I am very reluctantly taking it easier with exercise. I miss higher intensity stuff a lot for a bunch of reasons. I'd rather eat a lot and work out a lot, but it's out for now. Changes are coming going slowly because I used to rely on workouts for a burn, and I haven't (until now) adjusted my eating. Also I can't lift, either. We'll see what happens with my very modified routine and a different way of eating.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    But it's good that you're feeling happy about what you're doing and where you're going with it. That's really the main thing.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Piercep5 wrote: »
    I've eaten at a deficit and only walked for exercise for many months before. Obviously it works for weight loss and if your only goal is weight loss, then it's fine. However, I wanted to improve my muscle definition as I lost weight, otherwise you end up looking pencil thin. In hindsight, it would have been better to do strength exercises while eating low calories, but still with a high percentage of protein. Then you will have some sort of muscle tone later instead of just being a smaller version of your current self.

Thanks for your advice; I am trying to add in more weight bearing exercises for this reason, too!

• KBmoments
    Options

I'm not saying I don't like to move...just not long amounts of time spent begrudgingly at the gym. I do take 30-45 minute walks during lunch at least 3 times a week and sprinkle in the elliptical about the same. I'm just taking an easier approach to exercise (not cutting it out completely) and seeing if anyone else had good results doing so.
  • KBmoments
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    I only like exercise if it feels like play - hence hiking, kettlebells (especially ones with faces), jump rope. I go back & forth between liking running & hating it - running in the snow is fun or on a shady trail. Everything else makes me stabby.

haha stabby.
  • KBmoments
    Options

For you maybe, but that's not true for everyone. I just got done with 15 minutes of playground body-weight strength training exercises, and that's all I've done today besides my normal day to day stuff. Tomorrow I'll walk for 2 miles, which takes around 20 minutes. That's plenty of extra activity for me and I'm in fantastic health ;)

:smiley:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Find what you like to do. I'm another one who "hates exercise" but what I really hate is cardio. Seriously, it makes me feel nauseated and miserable. The eliptical is a torture device as far as I'm concerned.

BUT.

I LOVE doing strength work...bonus is when you use heavy weights you don't sit there doing 8000 reps and "feeling the burn" (boring and unpleasant!) You push and get all beast-like for fewer than 10 reps and then YOU'RE DONE. No more hours in the gym feeling pukey and gross the whole time, no more falling over my own feet attempting to Zumba, no more nasty rosacea flare up from all the panting...ugh.

I get my cardio from multiple brisk walks, playing with my dog, etc. Swimming and skiing are OK (keeps me cool, so I don't get that workout-related nausea) Strength training is where it's at for me, though!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Find what you like to do. I'm another one who "hates exercise" but what I really hate is cardio. Seriously, it makes me feel nauseated and miserable. The eliptical is a torture device as far as I'm concerned.

Yup, the only way I can stand the elliptical is by only doing it for a minute or two at a time between other activities - I bounce back and forth between it and 10 minutes or so on the bike, or in between weight sets.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the weirdo's....you can cut back on it. Do it at your pace. If you're not into treadmills or machines like that just get a dog and take it for walks. Or plan a day here or there to go walk on the beach or go hike up in the mountains....or go to an amusement park and do some walking. If you own a bike maybe start riding it to places like the market or to the movie or other places around town. There are a lot of ways to get moving without a structured workout plan. You're still young I don't think your cardiovascular system is going to go to hell because you stopped the treadmill. :) You'll do a regular workout routine when your ready...there's no point in forcing it.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I rarely exercise and still lose weight.

I want to though. My goal is improving health and less about fat loss.

That included strength and cartiovascular health.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have so high lifting stats that will take all my dedication to get to after the cut phase I go on. I love the workouts I do and sometimes it's a struggle between energy for gym and energy for other fun activities.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I hate strength training, so I hear you. And I'm pretty sure at this point that it's every kind - I've tried at-home, at the gym, classes, bodyweight, heavy weights, alone, with a buddy, with my husband, with a trainer, and I always end up dreading it and putting it off and eventually not doing it at all. I'm just lazy at heart, obviously, because doing any of it is such a struggle for me.

I can force myself to run 5K a couple times a week, but treadmill only so I can zone out with an ebook or TV and distract myself. Running outside where I have to be alone with my thoughts is pretty much torture, haha.

But whatever. I lost more than 25 pounds that way and I've kept it off successfully for a couple years, so it obviously works for me anyway. Pretty well all I do daily is walk to work (about 1/2 hour each way.) I ski on the weekends in the winter too. And that's it, and I don't care. I'm a lot happier and find it easier to eat well when I'm not putting myself through workouts I hate and coming home irritated and wanting to soothe my annoyance with chocolate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    smontes16 wrote: »
    What is your rate of loss without working out to compared to adding exercise?

Frankly, when I got serious about my exercise my rate of loss slowed. I credit that to water weight and my body rushing to repair my abused muscles. But I started feeling better. My stamina increased and I was stronger. I've made a deliberate decision to continue to exercise for the health benefits, even if it slows my weight loss.

The very first time I lost serious weight it took me a year to lose forty pounds and I did not exercise at all.
  • KBmoments
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I hate strength training, so I hear you. And I'm pretty sure at this point that it's every kind - I've tried at-home, at the gym, classes, bodyweight, heavy weights, alone, with a buddy, with my husband, with a trainer, and I always end up dreading it and putting it off and eventually not doing it at all. I'm just lazy at heart, obviously, because doing any of it is such a struggle for me.

I can force myself to run 5K a couple times a week, but treadmill only so I can zone out with an ebook or TV and distract myself. Running outside where I have to be alone with my thoughts is pretty much torture, haha.

But whatever. I lost more than 25 pounds that way and I've kept it off successfully for a couple years, so it obviously works for me anyway. Pretty well all I do daily is walk to work (about 1/2 hour each way.) I ski on the weekends in the winter too. And that's it, and I don't care. I'm a lot happier and find it easier to eat well when I'm not putting myself through workouts I hate and coming home irritated and wanting to soothe my annoyance with chocolate.

Loved reading this! Congrats on your weightloss. Can I ask what your calorie goal was during weightloss mode? I know everyone differs, just curious. I'm 5'3", desk job. So, my TDEE is low...