Need help with editing food in database

Options
FitKat123
FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
I have a couple of questions. If I select a food in the database and edit it and add my initials to the end of the name, does this create a new entry in the database or overwrite the original? Is there a way to edit a food and keep it just in my food, not the global database. I know when I create a food from scratch I can select not to share it. Finally, when I have edited a food, the serving size choices change. For example, one had ounces, slices, grams and other choices, but after I edited it and saved with my initials at the end, only metric measurements were on my newly saved item. Not ounces, like I wanted. Is there a document to read about this? Thanks.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    App or web site ?
  • FitKat123
    Options
    Web site. I responded earlier bit it doesn't seem to show.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    FitKat123 wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions. If I select a food in the database and edit it and add my initials to the end of the name, does this create a new entry in the database or overwrite the original?
    When a user edits a shared food item, a user must enter a reason for the edit, which leads me to guess that the original database record is stored for archive and the latest edited version is the database record that displays when searching for the item. By the way, if you edit a shared item, it may be used by other members and can be edited by the other user, which would then transfer ownership of that item from your My Foods list to the other user's My Foods list - in other words, it will have disappeared from your My Foods list.
    Is there a way to edit a food and keep it just in my food, not the global database. I know when I create a food from scratch I can select not to share it.
    No. A shared food item will remain publicly available (unless a database admin deletes or removes it).
    Finally, when I have edited a food, the serving size choices change. For example, one had ounces, slices, grams and other choices, but after I edited it and saved with my initials at the end, only metric measurements were on my newly saved item. Not ounces, like I wanted. Is there a document to read about this? Thanks.
    In my experience, it seems that currently only database admins can enter multiple serving sizes - the algorithm does perform an automatic calculation to add a unit choice, so if you listed 67 grams as the serving size, the software will divide that serving size unit and provide a 1 gram serving size choice. I have seen some food items that appear to be either user-entered or user-edited with multiple serving sizes, but those may have been edited by a database admin per a customer support request.
    Please see this article, and many other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/13980-some-food-information-in-the-database-is-inaccurate-can-i-edit-it-
  • FitKat123
    Options
    Thanks cyber tone.
  • bridgetionie
    bridgetionie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    new member! was recommended to try this site can any one please help me to understand how to use my profile? HELP!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    new member! was recommended to try this site can any one please help me to understand how to use my profile? HELP!

Hi !

Better to start your own topic rather than hang on the tail of another - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/post/discussion/getting-started or use the Create button.

How far have you got - have you set up your goals, stats etc and given it a weight loss rate and activity level to determine calorie intake ?