getting discouraged

Options
I just seam yoo be losing weight really slow and im losing interest, im bout to just give up and start eating junk food again, my diary is open but go back to last week for my entries to c if im doing anything wrong thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    By really slowly, how slow are we talking about? You didn't put it on fast, so it won't come off fast.

Looking at your diary, you're probably eating more than you think. Weigh everything, log everything, profit. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cool well you might aswell go eat junk now because the road to getting good results is always slow and loooooonnnngggggggg. Either get the mindset to deal with that fact or go bomb some cals now because it won't ever change. This is a lifestyle, not a 2 or 3 or 5 month goal I'm afraid.

How slow is slow anyway?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    The time is going to pass at the same rate whether you're losing weight or not. On 6/5/2016 you can be thinner and healthier or you can still be the same.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight. (Forget how fast or slow.) You seem to think your only option is this, or go back to old habits. You must have had some reason for wanting to lose weight, so why would you want to go back to the way things were?

How much weight do you need to lose? How much are you losing on average now, and what rate would you like?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yep, you definitely need to give up. After all, it's a lot more comfortable to clip your toenails or get up from a chair or go up a flight or two of stairs with even more weight that you currently have. So take a break for six months, eat your heart out, and you'll gain a couple of pounds a month and weigh even more. Or *gasp* you could enjoy food just as much but eating less calories, go for nice walks, and lose a couple of pounds a month. That's a 24 pound variance. Which way do you really want to go?
  • selinabailey
    selinabailey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The time is going to pass at the same rate whether you're losing weight or not. On 6/5/2016 you can be thinner and healthier or you can still be the same.
    Wish there was a like button for this! Came across this post, been feeling the same as the original poster and been having a crap food week and your comment has done more for me than anything else! Thanks :)
    To brockbennett1981, don't give in to the cravings for junk, I have done recently and have stayed the same weight (plus a pound or two). Regret is all I've got to show for it! Stick to it, it will get better!!!
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. It seems your sodium is on high side & that can make you maintain fluid depending on your age & health status. You might want to try cutting the salty stuff & drink more water or non-calorie drinks & see if that helps.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Wish there was a like button for this! Came across this post, been feeling the same as the original poster and been having a crap food week and your comment has done more for me than anything else! Thanks :)
    It's basically what I tell myself regarding weight loss, weight lifting, learning more Spanish, or whatever. That date that seems so far away is going to get here and I'll either have put in the effort in the meantime or I won't. I want something to show for that time.

Glad it helped.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Giving up will definitely help you on your way to your goals.

Said no one, ever.

There's no instant gratification in weight loss. You're losing weight, aren't you? Isn't that what you wanted? Why does it matter if it's "slow"? It's still coming off.

• Nikki542687
    Nikki542687 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just like others have said, it took time to put the weight on so it is going to take time to lose it. Looking at your log, I can say your sodium intake may be your problem. Less sodium and make sure you are drinking enough water. It's not time to throw in the towel and give up! Instead of focusing on the scale, focus on the areas of your body that are showing you are losing the weight. I had a huge issue with the scale (weighing myself daily). Now I am lucky if I weigh myself every week. I am personally looking at the changes my body is going through rather than the numbers on the scale. Keep it up! Don't give in!
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water 15-30 cups a day and sodium is usually low its only high when have tacos lol, and ive list like 18 lbs in 30 days, i know its fast and i am not quitting
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cool well you might aswell go eat junk now because the road to getting good results is always slow and loooooonnnngggggggg. Either get the mindset to deal with that fact or go bomb some cals now because it won't ever change. This is a lifestyle, not a 2 or 3 or 5 month goal I'm afraid.

How slow is slow anyway?

I started all this cause wanna be in better health i wanna be around 200lbs i am 258 now, im 34 and i dont wanna be in horrible shape when older
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water 15-30 cups a day and sodium is usually low its only high when have tacos lol, and ive list like 18 lbs in 30 days, i know its fast and i am not quitting

18 pounds in a month is FAST, dude. You're going to slow down. And it is going to get slower. Hang in there. Take pictures to chart your progress, because the scale is going to stop being your best guide soon enough.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

How slow is slow anyway?

I started all this cause wanna be in better health i wanna be around 200lbs i am 258 now, im 34 and i dont wanna be in horrible shape when older

Then do something about it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    We're about the same age. Now is the time to stick with it! You'll be so happy you did.

Add me if you'd like!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1. You're going REALLY fast. 18 lbs in 30 days is probably actually too fast. That's more than double the recommended rate for safe weight loss.

2. You don't seem happy with the way you're eating and honestly I wouldn't be either. I'm not a woman who minds eating a lot of the same foods over and over but most of your days are nearly identical. Lots of steamed green beans and plain meat with no oils or marinades to make things interesting. Weight loss and maintenance is a long game. You need a plan that's enjoyable.

3. You've got several unlogged days in the past week.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Slow progress is still progress. KEEP GOING!
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just seam yoo be losing weight really slow and im losing interest, im bout to just give up and start eating junk food again, my diary is open but go back to last week for my entries to c if im doing anything wrong thanks

Check this out. My family is ordering pizza for a fun night while watching a game. I love pizza, BUT not enough to wreck my progress. Plus it has no nutritional value. Yeah it taste good lol but my family know I have reached the point of saying no for me☺ Think of you. You will never reach the end of tunnel giving in. Hang on.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what the quick ads are? Are you sure those calories are accurate? I pretty much always eat the same thing for breakfast, oatmeal, a routine can be nice. What about exercise, doing any? Stopped doing any? 18lbs in a month is a great start if you ask me, I wish I had started taking pics of my body as it changed, as well as measurements. The scale may not reflect whats actually going on, but I understand that the number is a tangible thing you can see to show progress...Keep at it!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Check this out. My family is ordering pizza for a fun night while watching a game. I love pizza, BUT not enough to wreck my progress. Plus it has no nutritional value. Yeah it taste good lol but my family know I have reached the point of saying no for me☺ Think of you. You will never reach the end of tunnel giving in. Hang on.

Surely 2 pieces of pizza won't wreck your numbers for the night? We have pizza a couple of times a month and it doesn't seem to be any higher in calories then a regular dinner. I usually use about 700 calories or so for dinner anyway...