Fatty tofu?!

Options
ciaraos27
ciaraos27 Posts: 29 Member
Hi all,

I'm on a mission to final get my weight down. It's been yo-yoing last couple of years due to stress, job loss, etc. Eating and drinking the same things as my OH and friends. 2015 is my year to get back on track. Anyway...trying to get my diet as good as it can be and to cut back on meat I bought some tofu but every recipe I log in fitness pal indicate it's massively high in fat!! As in 19g in one (small) serving!! Has anyone any ideas on how to decrease the fat in tofu? I've bought a few packs and I don't really want to waste them.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Is ot the tofu itself high in fat, or is it what else you're putting in the recipe?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Soybeans have fat, yes. How are you preparing the tofu? Fat is not to be feared, though. 100 grams of firm tofu has 4 grams of fat. That's not really an alarming amount.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What brand of tofu do you have? Firm plain tofu is a low fat food. It's the preparation that adds more. Avoid recipes that involve frying the tofu in lots of oil if you want to keep the fat down. Remember that fat is an essential part of a healthy diet though.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Tofu is not overly high in fat. Also fat is not to be totally feared either we all need some fat in our diet. I had a tofu paella dish last night and yes it had around 15g of fat but only 2 grams was saturated fat. I could have probably reduced that if I'd used less rapeseed oil. I actually eat a lower fat diet than a lot of people on MFP and I easily managed to fit that within my goals. Don't fear the fat because Fat doesn't make you fat. Look for balance in your overall diet rather than overly obsess on one thing.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So far I've baked it and just used a tiny bit of spray oil. The tofu I used was Cauldron original tofu which is about 4.9g of fat per 100g. The recipe I was going for was this one https://minimalistbaker.com/crispy-peanut-tofu-cauliflower-rice-stir-fry/ but looking at all your feedback I looked out for another to to bring the fat down. I had a PT look at my macros to get my weight loss on track but keep going over the fat more often than not )o:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ciaraos27 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm on a mission to final get my weight down. It's been yo-yoing last couple of years due to stress, job loss, etc. Eating and drinking the same things as my OH and friends. 2015 is my year to get back on track. Anyway...trying to get my diet as good as it can be and to cut back on meat I bought some tofu but every recipe I log in fitness pal indicate it's massively high in fat!! As in 19g in one (small) serving!! Has anyone any ideas on how to decrease the fat in tofu? I've bought a few packs and I don't really want to waste them.

you shouldn't be using recipes from the data base unless they're coming from a reputable source like eatingwell or something...otherwise, they are just some random users recipes...you have no idea what actual ingredients they used and in particular how much oils they're cooking with.

My guess with tofu is that a lot of those recipes are for some kind of stirfry...which would obviously have oil.

That said, fat isn't the devil and is an essential nutrient..fat doesn't make you fat...actually not getting enough dietary fat can really mess with your hormones, including the ones that are responsible for your metabolism.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Go by the fat listed on the package rather than an entry from a MFP person.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    Thanks, will do! Great tips.