Happy National Trails Day!

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
June 6 is National Trails Day so why not find a trail near you and go for a nice walk or run or bicycle ride (or horseback ride if it is allowed). Show your appreciation for these pathways, whether ancient or new, that allow us to see parts of our environment that we cant see from the streets and highways. Many trails go right through the heart of a city, many through parks both big and small, and many go out into wild uninhabited areas. All will take you somewhere. Enjoy!

Replies

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    jg6nz5182231.jpg

Today on my weekly 5km parkrun.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »

Today on my weekly 5km parkrun.

Pretty!!!

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have other plans tomorrow, but I habitually do a 4-6 mile hike on Sundays so I'll make it up then. Just have to decide where to go this week.
  • JahanLindy
    JahanLindy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sadly, i live around too much bricks and artificial construction. hardly get chance to meet greens. but i enjoy every moment whenever i go for trailing :smiley:
  • earlnabby
    Options
    JahanLindy wrote: »
    sadly, i live around too much bricks and artificial construction. hardly get chance to meet greens. but i enjoy every moment whenever i go for trailing :smiley:

Some of my favorite local trails are among bricks and artificial construction. Many show some aspect of the history of a city or lets you see old and/or beautiful houses. You don't need to be in a green space to have a trail.

• earlnabby
    Options
    I have other plans tomorrow, but I habitually do a 4-6 mile hike on Sundays so I'll make it up then. Just have to decide where to go this week.

I have this issue. I live in SE Wisconsin and we have so many choices. We even have a 900 mile trail that meanders through the state along the southern limit of the last glacier. It is called the Ice Age Trail and I have walked many of its segments. I belong to a hiking club that plans several hikes a week and people just go on whatever ones interest them. Today we will be walking a section of the IAT in what is known as the Southern Kettle Moraine. Kettles are hollows left in the ground from the retreating glacier so a moraine is a lot of them, which means a lot of ups and downs with some walks on the ridges between the hollows.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'll be hiking the Medicine Lake Regional Trail with my dog today!
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I had no idea- thanks. :) I love trail running. If you haven't tried it- give it a shot: Gorgeous greenery, smells are amazing & light streaming through trees is majestic.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I had no idea- thanks. :) I love trail running. If you haven't tried it- give it a shot: Gorgeous greenery, smells are amazing & light streaming through trees is majestic.

I don't run but that is one of my best reasons for trail walking! Love the scenery!

• earlnabby
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'll be hiking the Medicine Lake Regional Trail with my dog today!

Have fun!

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have this issue. I live in SE Wisconsin and we have so many choices. We even have a 900 mile trail that meanders through the state along the southern limit of the last glacier. It is called the Ice Age Trail and I have walked many of its segments. I belong to a hiking club that plans several hikes a week and people just go on whatever ones interest them. Today we will be walking a section of the IAT in what is known as the Southern Kettle Moraine. Kettles are hollows left in the ground from the retreating glacier so a moraine is a lot of them, which means a lot of ups and downs with some walks on the ridges between the hollows.

Ooh, that sounds like fun! I live in Southern California, in a community that is committed to including trails in its development plans. There is a park that is about two miles from my house with 20 miles of trails. My favorite though is a lake and mountain that are between my home and work. The mountain hike is 4-5 miles round trip with a 1000 foot elevation gain. I'll often stop after work and hike a portion of the mountain trail and then come down and hike around the lake. When I go to the gym, I always see people working away on the treadmills and I just don't get it. Sometimes it's too hot or it gets dark too early, but right now it is just perfect to get outside. I can easily go 2-3 miles after work, and it doesn't even feel like exercise because it is so relaxing.

The whole mountain gets saved for the weekend, and that's probably what I'll do on Sunday.