Your favourite gluteus workout, or the excersise that has worked the best for you!!

Options
Amyaya
Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
What is your favourite butt excersise?
Or, what excersise has worked the best on your butt?

I am so considering having one workout day dedicated just for butt lol (and legs also but mainly butt!)

My butt looks pretty round if you look at it from the side, but I have a square bum if looked at from behind!
I want to work on the side of my butt more and build more muscle there, so it will look wider (and rounder)

So please tell me what's your fav and/or what has worked the best?

Thanks

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Definitely barbell hip thrusts
  • Amyaya
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I've tried it before and found very awkward to do.. Does your shoulders and/or arms hurt from holding on to the bench?
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    This one here is one of my favourites
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-s7nasg18o
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Amyaya wrote: »

I've tried it before and found very awkward to do.. Does your shoulders and/or arms hurt from holding on to the bench?

No it should feel very comfortable and natural. Maybe the bench you are using is too high? If you don't have a lower one I would opt for American hip thrusts which are higher up on the bench
    Here are videos by Bret Contreras demonstrating:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hCm-70-9_XE

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RjWiwq1wgFg

ETA: You can also try glute bridges which are on the floor not the bench. I find the thrusts more glute activating though.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This. Above squats or anything else someone will tell you. I started incorporating hip thrusts in to my workouts about a year and a half ago and saw a drastic recomposition in my glutes like I'd never seen with the year and a half of squatting and other glute killers before that time.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts. If you are having pain, watch a couple videos on form (I checked bb.com). I had to play around with how to position myself against the bench to pivot up correctly. It took several tries before I figured it out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Amyaya wrote: »

Stop supporting yourself with your arms and lay your upper body directly upon the bench
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Another one for weighted hip thrusts. They are my favorite second only to deadlifts.
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Wow thanks to everyone!
    So I googled some video on how to and I tried it at the gym today. It was not hard! :)

So glad I asked, thank you again.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Did the workout today

Deadlifts

Then stiff leg deadlifts

Kettle bell swings

Limp away and curse any steps I need to go down the next few days