Too embarrassed to run....?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    All new runners start by doing intervals of walking and running, no one just gets up and runs for 10 miles. Try following a program for beginners, like c25k. You will have specific intervals to focus at and not think about what you cannot do, but focus on what progress you are making.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It used to embarrass me to go to a bicycle shop. You don't see many fat people in a bicycle shop. Turns out, there's a reason for that. The people who are motivated enough about cycling to pay for the higher quality at a bicycle shop, are motivated to get their weight under control, because their weight has a direct impact on their sport. If you enjoy running, then keep on running. It may be embarrassing for a while, but shaving seconds off your time may be the motivation you need to lose weight.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this once. While it would be nice to be the trim blonde with the flippy ponytail and the $65.00 skintight Nike tank top, making it look easy, I'm just not.
    But I've noticed that, in general, no one cares what I'm doing. If anyone notices me, at least they have thusfar kept their traps shut.

Lol! I guess i have been comparing myself to that "perfect runner girl" a lot which may be the reason im so reluctant to run... lol thank you!

That "perfect runner girl" had to go for a first run at some point, and probably felt awkward and nervous too. These people you see running may very well stop for walking breaks, but you only see them on a short stretch of their run so you aren't aware of it. People will 'notice' you, as obviously they will want to not get in your way or run you over with their car, but it is very unlikely they will think anything negative about you at all - and if they do say anything, it means they're being unpleasant more than it means you should be ashamed of the way you run. Alternating periods of walking and running is a great way to build it up, so actually you'd be training smart by doing that. I'm sure after you've been out a few times you'll feel much less self conscious, and eventually it won't bother you at all.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had to face this and the truth is that nobody really cares :) You see all sorts of people in all sorts of clothing and in all kinds of states around here.

I used to be completely shot after 200 metres - I ran seven miles last week and I have never regretted getting over that 'embarrassment' hurdle. When I am trying to knock a few seconds off a PB I don't even think about it any more, even if everyone going past can see me and hear my rather laboured breathing.

I found that wearing a baseball cap helped - once I put that on I looked totally different and felt weirdly more anonymous.

This is my favourite take on this kind of situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoAC-2yJ2fQ
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    iwJAfPl.gif
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    This is my favourite take on this kind of situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoAC-2yJ2fQ

That video is awesome!

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If there is a soccer field complex that is a good place to run,jog,walk.

Every form of body is out there!

I jogged and walked at 115 lbs more than I am now. I would be panting at 20 seconds of jogging.

I'm sure I looked the wreck that I was.

Looking back, I never ever want to go thru that again. It is motivation to keep on track.

You are doing great to work at it and try!

Hang in there. Remember these days 6 months from now. You may look back and laugh

I laugh now. But I did cry a little when I had to throw away every single piece of clothes I had and buy new!

3X to L

It was expensive but I kept one shirt as a reminder. Just like those days I felt embarrassed to jog and bounce like a jelly bowl.

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    B4bMBZC.jpg

I know this guy thought he was being helpful, but he's a class A jerk. This person didn't need the shaming wrapped up in trying to be motivating.

There is also a response out there on the internet from the person who this is about and they basically said...who do you think you are assuming all that about me? It's people like this that can keep people from going out there in the first place.

Sorry are you calling me a Jerk? I was unaware of the response from the Runner mentioned (Tony Posnanski) till now. Yes I can see Tony's reasons for being upset after reading his response (http://theantijared.com/2014/03/man-judged-westview-track.html) but I was ignorant of the fact that he felt this way and this is the first I have heard of it or had a negative response from posting the FB status but I will refrain from doing so from now on.

• FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I feel so silly when I try to get out and run down my road. First off, im overweight so I know that anyone who sees me running is thinking "she needs to be running!" And when I try to jog or run, I feel like i run like a hippopotamus! Lol i just dont have super great coordination when it comes to running and I can't run for long distances so I feel embarrassed when I only run for 30 seconds and then stop because the people I see running are those who run for ever and never walk. All in all, im embarrassed to run. Is there anyone else who has been through or going through the same thing? I would love to know how you dealt or are dealing with it (: Please no negative comments! Thanks!! (:

When I first started running (less than a year ago) I felt the same. I could only jog for 30 seconds before needing 1 minute and 30 seconds walking to recover. I was so big that I had to wear men's tops (they didn't do women's running tops big enough). I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt such relief when the park was empty and genuine fear that I'd be mocked if there were lots of people there.

I'd run (and still do) in a park where there are trees both sides of the path so I didn't feel so exposed.
    Little by little 5 seconds would be added to my running time and 5 seconds would be taken off the walking time until one day I ran for 14 minutes solid without walking. Now the only way is up - 10 months after my first attempt at running I signed up for my first 10km charity run. The run was on Tuesday and I did it, raising lots of money for a children's charity along the way.

I've turned into one of those people you see who runs forever and doesn't walk and I'd like to assure you that whenever I see someone else running regardless of size, shape, how much they're sweating, how red they've turned, the only thing I'm ever thinking is "Great job!" (or occasional kit envy if they have great clothes/running shoes!).

There is a possibility that there are unkind people out there who will judge us and/or mock us but if they have nothing better to do with their lives, they deserve our pity. You're doing great, it will take time but you'll get to the point where you're running without stopping and you'll genuinely enjoy your running - stick with it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    So you run for 30 seconds and then walk. Maybe tomorrow you run for 31 seconds and then walk. And so on.

If some clown feels the need to comment negatively on your running, it says more about him than about you, anyway.
  • daniyelle_
    daniyelle_ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was like this, exactly like this. Until one day I just thought *kitten* it, why should I care what anybody thinks of me this is my body, my health and my life not theirs. At first I began running at night when it was dark just to get into the swing on things and help with my anxiety, I was struggling to complete even half a mile. Now I've reached 3, and I have fallen in love with running! It has so many benefits, I'm so much happier, more confident, I look better and I actually enjoy it. Just hold your head high, put on your running trainers, headphones in, music on and RUN.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So you run for 30 seconds and then walk. Maybe tomorrow you run for 31 seconds and then walk. And so on.

If some clown feels the need to comment negatively on your running, it says more about him than about you, anyway.

This.

The majority of people who do some type of exercise, whether it be running, cycling or walking, are supportive of others. They're happy you're out there moving!

If I criticize anything, it's clothing choice, lol. Some people just don't have an eye for what colors/patterns go together.

~Lyssa

• sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started walk/running in my neighborhood at well over 200 pounds. At night so fewer people would see me.
    That was two years, four half marathons and a marathon ago. Now when I'm in my gear in the mornings I have neighbors I've never talked to before pulling over to tell me how amazing my transformation is and how I have inspired them. It take some guts to start, but I promise it's worth it!

(PS Compression pants are your friend. They make running more comfortable and make me a little more confident.)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Google the YouTube video of Pheobe (from Friends) running.
    If she can do it.....you can do it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel so silly when I try to get out and run down my road. First off, im overweight so I know that anyone who sees me running is thinking "she needs to be running!" And when I try to jog or run, I feel like i run like a hippopotamus! Lol i just dont have super great coordination when it comes to running and I can't run for long distances so I feel embarrassed when I only run for 30 seconds and then stop because the people I see running are those who run for ever and never walk. All in all, im embarrassed to run. Is there anyone else who has been through or going through the same thing? I would love to know how you dealt or are dealing with it (: Please no negative comments! Thanks!! (:

Why do you want to run? Do you have a goal in mind like a race? Think about that.
    If you don't have a particular reason to run right now then maybe start with just fast walking or explore other exercises.

I've always felt stupid running so I do other exercises.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k running program a while back, and I felt really awkward my first couple runs too because I thought everyone would be staring at me and judging me for only running in short 30 second spurts and then walking. But I quickly realized that's not the case, and a lot of people in my neighborhood were interval running too, and I just never noticed it before! Even the most seasoned runners will interval run every now and then (my guess is to work on speed and endurance, but I could be wrong).

Just do what you can do right now, and build up to longer runs. Eventually you could be doing a 5k, 10k, or even someday a marathon. You never know! But everyone starts out small, so don't worry and just do what you can.

Good luck and have fun :D
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I see by your profile that you are 19, so I understand that you worry about what people think. My daughter is 18 and she is the same way. As you get older, you'll realize it doesn't matter that much. Once I hit 40, I decided I didn't give a crap what people thought. And besides that, as others have said, you really don't know what they're thinking.

I am 50 now and still have some weight to go til goal. Last summer I was running through my neighborhood and some guys driving buy called me a MILF. Some women might've been offended, but I'll take it. ;)