Not losing on 1200 calories and exercise

Options
Im 44 years old, 3 1/2 years ago I lost 30 lbs in 4 months doing the same things I've been doing this week. My goal is to lose 16lbs, what I've gained since my 30lb loss.
I'm on 1200 Cals a day, very low fat, higher protein and on point for carbs. I jog a 12 min mile each day, do misc other exercises (low impact) and every other day I've done some mild weight exercises for arms, squats and leg raises for abs. I haven't lost an ounce, see no difference in my clothes. All foods I eat are not processed, lots of fruits, veggies, lean meat. What is the problem? I wonder if perimenopause and low dose estrogen is having an effect. Very frustrated.

Replies

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's inaccurate logging of food. I walk/run usually 4-6 miles a day about 5 or more days per week. Resistance band training 2- times per week. It's NOT perimenopause/low dose estrogen. (I'm 60 yrs old!)
  • spenrey
    spenrey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A week is a bit early to be getting frustrated. We all want it quick but it takes time. Works definitely give it longer and make sure you are weighing and logging everything. Perception is often different from actual. BTW have never come across anyone who had a body comp change in a week. Give it a month and log and weigh
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Most likely it's inaccurate logging of food. I walk/run usually 4-6 miles a day about 5 or more days per week. Resistance band training 2- times per week. It's NOT perimenopause/low dose estrogen. (I'm 60 yrs old!)

This

Plus, why are you going low fat? Fat is so important for good health. It doesn't make you fat, please don't deprive yourself of it!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start jogging a mile a day? Can you eat more and lose weight? Would it be a bad thing to learn about long term weight loss, lose weight slower, learn more so you do not 'repeat' the same 15 pounds?
  • duhneece
    duhneece Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm meticulous with my logging, if I make a recipe I get everything logged down to a shake of salt.
    Clearly my metabolism has changed over the past 3 plus years as in the first weeks back then I was losing up to 2 lbs a week. My body shape has changed to where it's all down in my lower abdomen and thighs, prior it was even all over with less in my abdomen than now.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll just post this here, with thanks to @lemonlionheart

t6xq79lo6px0.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you're absolutely sure that you're logging completely and accurately, I'd suggest being more patient. If you don't have results in 6-8 weeks or so, maybe talk to your doctor about possible medical issues.

A slowed metabolism due to age -- if it's due to age in the first place, and not loss of muscle mass, etc. -- is only going to be a couple hundred calories. That could make a difference if your intake was already close to maintenance, but it's generally something for which you can compensate.
  • fitter_happier94
    fitter_happier94 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1200 is a deficit for pretty much everyone, including most small, underweight, sedentary people - even when taking metabolic adaptation into account. You are losing weight, though perhaps it has slowed down. The lack of progress you're seeing on the scales is either undigested food, or (more likely) water retention. Obviously you're doing a really good job of logging your food so I don't doubt that you're working at a deficit. Don't be disheartened, it takes time and scales aren't as accurate as we'd all like them to be. If you feel like you're stalling in your weight loss then you should try calorie cycling or even a modest surplus (you can work it off later) to break the plateau. In the mean time, as I'm sure you know, more water is the best thing to shift retention. Make sure you're weighing yourself naked and after "going" to the toilet, before you've eaten or drank anything, first thing in the morning, and on a hard, level surface. You might be on to something with regards to your hormones interfering with your weight readings, but I highly doubt that they're significantly impacting actual fat loss. Also, remember that even a total weekly deficit of 3500kcal (500kcal daily) is only one pound, which is very easily missed by a scale, and not likely to effect the way your clothes fit. Same goes for a 7000kcal/ 2lb deficit. Best of luck, you sound dedicated enough to make this work. Stick it out though, I know it's a pain!
  • duhneece
    Options
    Thanks fitter_happier94 and all.
    I weigh myself every morning, no clothes, after a morning 'visit'. We have a digital FitBit scale on hardwood floor. I'm 5'0" and 141.3 lbs. 125 is my goal.
    I'll give it more time, definitely not giving up just perplexed and not wanting to waste time making mistakes on what I think should be working.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You are pretty small of stature, so unfortunately 1200 might be close to maintenance for you. Have you considered adding more exercise? A 1-mile jog burns ~100 calories--consider upping your mileage, even if it means walking.

And be patient--you don't have a lot of weight to lose so it's probably going to take some time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You say you log accurately....

with a food scale for solids? measuring cups/spoons for liquids? If you say not to these questions you are not logging accurately and probably eating more than you think.

Are you logging exercise calories? are you eating them back? if so how many?

If you answered no to above start eating some of them back...at least 50%

If you answered yes to the above how many are you eating back? all of them? if so cut back on those...

Losing weight is CI vs CO...and if you are not losing (barring medical conditions and age isn't one of those) your CI is greater than CO.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    That flowchart...

05-BILL-MURRAY-CLAPPING.gif
  • duhneece
    Options
    I'm measuring and weighing to the point I may be making my family mildly insane.
    I am eating back exercise calories up to 50% of the time.

I agree with upping exercise. My BMR is 1343 sedentary.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    That flowchart...

+1
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    That flowchart...

+2.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    In addition to inaccurate logging it could be inflammation due to muscle soreness. Estrogen is unlikely to cause weight gain but progesterone might cause a very small amount of fluid retention.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'll just post this here, with thanks to @lemonlionheart

t6xq79lo6px0.jpg

PLEASE can we make this a sticky!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    duhneece wrote: »
    I'm measuring and weighing to the point I may be making my family mildly insane.
    I am eating back exercise calories up to 50% of the time.

I agree with upping exercise. My BMR is 1343 sedentary.

exercise is not required for weight loss...

logging accurately also includes choosing correct entries...is your diary open?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    That flowchart...

+2.

+3.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Lemonlionheart made it, please save the image and use it! Spread it around. I was so excited to be able to post it.