Visible results - when?

Options
How long did it take those of you who had no visible biceps/triceps to see visible muscle definition after you started working out?
I'm 5'4 and weigh 167lbs (BMI 29) and I can't wait to see my arms get toned.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What sort of workouts are you doing? Coz it will completely depend on that.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the weight machines 2 times each week (per muscle group) and do 4-5 different different exercises with 3 sets of 8 or 12 reps. I use as heavy weights as I possibly can.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the food even more than the workouts.

General rule is 4-6 weeks for you to see it, another 4 for others to see it
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think the answer depends on a wide number of variables. I started seeing results once I switched from machines to free weights, myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I started at 163, so we have extremely similar starting stats. My arms looked "better" within a few months but really...they didn't look "toned" (sorry that's not really a thing) until I got within a healthy weight range. I also lifted heavy through my whole weight loss. No machines really. Compound lifts, and very little isolation work while in a deficit.

But, there are a lot of variables here. Not only did I save a lot of muscle by lifting heavy and meeting my protein goal, when I was fat and eating at a surplus I was decently strong and worked jobs lifting things that probably allowed for some muscle growth. You don't know what's under the fat until you lose it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    I usually hit the weight machines 2 times each week (per muscle group) and do 4-5 different different exercises with 3 sets of 8 or 12 reps. I use as heavy weights as I possibly can.

IMO ditch the machines and get a structured lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman that will have you using big compound movements.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The more fat I drop the more my muscles look larger

My arms are now 17" from 18" but look bigger