Waffle House

2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I'm not sure why people are suggesting egg whites. A lot of the healthy stuff in eggs is actually in the yolk. Also, just eating the egg white is a waste, during a time when there is a shortage of eggs.

Because egg whites are low calorie.

You want vitamins too. I'm on 1200 calories a day and eat whole eggs. It's better to eat less of nutrient dense food than high volumes of foods with less nutrients. Egg whites have protein, but that's it. Eggs are a whole food. They should be eaten that way. Caveat: supplementing whole eggs with egg whites is cool, though and using egg whites in protein shakes is okay if you can stomach the thought.

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you want low calorie you just get a portion that is right for you.

When I go there to eat healthy I eat meat and eggs and avoid toast, grits, waffles (dig the irony) or any other form of excess sugar. I drink water and black coffee. That way I don't have an insulin surge that messes up my day and leaves me hungry soon after. Instead, I can go for hours without eating again.

But people are different and I have no idea what you think of as "healthy."

I love Waffle House even though I avoid the food they are named after. Their omelettes are wonderful. Their bacon is lovely. Their pork chops make me happy. They have a amazing menu.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No idea. But have some bacon for me, eh?

Bacon is a major fear food for me. Too much fat and cholesterol.

Fearing bacon is so sad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    just eat what you want at waffle house and then have less during the day …

if it was me I would go with the bacon egg and cheese sandwich on texas toast and a double order of hash browns…and maybe a waffle on the side too ….
  • ndj1979
    Egg whites, Grilled Chicken Breast, Glass of Orange Juice. They do charge extra for holding the yolk though

Thanks. I think egg whites and chicken breasts are good choices, but not sure about the orange juice. Isn't it pure sugar?

come on, you can have egg whites ANYWHERE….at least get something different like a waffle or something….
  • ndj1979
    How about this: Egg white fiesta omelet (no cheese), sliced tomatoes, and dry toast?

why no cheese????
  • arditarose
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Egg whites, Grilled Chicken Breast, Glass of Orange Juice. They do charge extra for holding the yolk though

Thanks. I think egg whites and chicken breasts are good choices, but not sure about the orange juice. Isn't it pure sugar?

come on, you can have egg whites ANYWHERE….at least get something different like a waffle or something….

I wouldn't get a waffle either though. I like greasy/savory breakfasts.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Until recently, I managed a Waffle House, and, since we were charged daily for food, I ate there a lot.

Chicken breast and egg whites has been mentioned. I would always wash the chicken in water before cooking, as the seasoning is high in sodium.

The pork chops are good, and fairly low cal.

You can get a salad with chicken.

A bacon egg and cheese wrap is lower cal than you think.

My go to breakfast was a (rinsed) chicken breAst, three egg whites, grilled (without oil) onions and peppers in a wrap.

WHATEVER YOU GET, tell them to hold as much oil as possible. That crap is really high cal.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    How about this: Egg white fiesta omelet (no cheese), sliced tomatoes, and dry toast?

Again, I don't know what you are defining as healthy. But I would eat whole eggs and ask for extra cheese and dump the toast (which, if dry, would make me gag anyway). Tomatoes are probably fine, though I often skip them to keep my carb count as low as possible.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member

That sounds depressing. You're making me sad posting this stuff.

What is wrong with cheese? Egg whites? Dry toast? Seriously? Pa-tooey.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Honestly, it's one meal in the course of a week. Perspective.
  • arditarose
    Yeah, one meal. But whatever. I'd rather save those higher calories for something other than the waffle house anyway, so I'm not going to rag on you for trying to keep the count down. It's Saturday...I'd rather have cocktails and and a delicious dinner and some gelato rather than 900 calories of cheesy eggs or waffles not made from scratch at home.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Now I think I'm going to make pancakes and bacon for supper. We haven't had a Hungry Jack night in a long time.

When I am going to be going out to eat somewhere, I like to enjoy my meal and I either a) have lighter meals during the day in prep for wanting something yummilicious at the restaurant and not worrying about derailing my weight loss plans, or b) I make sure I exercise before or after.

There is nothing wrong with eating a piece or two of bacon. There is nothing wrong with having cheese in a whole egg omelette. There is nothing wrong with putting a little butter or jam on toast.

The key is to know how much you're consuming, and plan to make it work into your weekly or daily allowance.

About the only thing I do that is remotely "diet" when I go out to eat, is I will have a cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce at Red Robin, simply because I don't enjoy bread enough to waste 200 calories on a bun. LOL. Everything else is just normal food that I like.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Yesterday's Elvis Duran and the morning show called Waffle Houses asking for 'dumbass'. Hilarious http://www.1031kcda.com/articles/elvis-duran-phone-taps-485662/elvis-calls-diners-looking-for-dumbass-13650550/

Hahaha. Yes! I was listening to this, had me cracking up on the way to work.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Surely there is nutritional information available on their website. Just see what fits your calories and macros.

I hate hate hate Waffle House so I can't tell you what to order. I'm pro-whole egg though.