Cardio & weights which one will help you LOOSE WEIGHT?

Options
I believe if your trying to loose a lot of weight you should start out by doing 80% cardio and 20% weights that way your burning tons of calories and toning at the same time.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Your diet is the primary driving force for weight loss because it's much easier to create a deficit by eating less than it is by exercising more. The next thing you want to do is weights so your weight loss is more fat than muscle. Cardio is less important for weight loss, but very important for overall health. So fit it in when you can, but prioritize weights because they will give you major health benefits too.

To give you an idea, the most exercise I can do while not feeling like I'm over doing it is weights 5x a week for 1 hour. And HIIT cardio 3x a week for 20 minutes. So each week that's 5 hours of weights and 1 hour of cardio.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    To lose weight ( not loose) both cardiovascular and weightlifting is great. Cardiovascular burns more calories at the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    CALORIE DEFICIT is the most important factor in weight loss. One could do cardio and weights and over eat and weight loss WON'T occur.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Neither. Calorie deficit is what works. Exercise is just the icing on the cake (so to speak. :D)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Diet is 90%

Cardio for cardiovascular health ...and it does give a higher obvious rate of calories to include in your diet ..really don't need more than a couple of sessions a week for that though

Weights to preserve as much LBM as possible as you drop weight and mean you hit maintenance at an easier level and a better body shape

• JahanLindy
    JahanLindy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    weights will help you to lose weight. and cardio is mostly to build muscle. :smile: hope it makes u understand
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JahanLindy wrote: »
    weights will help you to lose weight. and cardio is mostly to build muscle. :smile: hope it makes u understand
    Not sure if serious :huh:
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Lol I was wondering the same thing...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

• ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your diet is the primary driving force for weight loss because it's much easier to create a deficit by eating less than it is by exercising more. The next thing you want to do is weights so your weight loss is more fat than muscle. Cardio is less important for weight loss, but very important for overall health. So fit it in when you can, but prioritize weights because they will give you major health benefits too.

To give you an idea, the most exercise I can do while not feeling like I'm over doing it is weights 5x a week for 1 hour. And HIIT cardio 3x a week for 20 minutes. So each week that's 5 hours of weights and 1 hour of cardio.

I agree with this 100%...this is exactly what I'm trying after getting it twisted for 23 years. Thanks for confiming it! I already started Beat Body program, not letting their bodies intimidate me. I'm going at my pace and fitness level and after 3 weeks I'm seeing a slight transformation and notice how my strength has improved -going heavier. I just need to contiue to keep my nutrition in check which is key, yet so difficult for me. I was still confused about cardio since the program only has one day per week of it. But I like the 20 minutes 3x week advice. I will incorporate that into my routine. Everyday learning more and getting better at it. No rush, I'll get there one day. Thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Okay.

However, I do no cardio, because I hate feeling like a hamster, so I don't do it

Lol, ya, not a fan of the treadmill or elliptical myself. I love to walk in the woods and when we were snowed in this winter got a one month membership at the Y so I could use their overhead track, which I vastly prefer over the treadmill.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is simply removing fat and revealing the muscle you have underneath. If you're doing a bunch of cardio with a large deficit, and very little weight training, you will lose more muscle and not have that "toned" look when you get to goal anyway.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    weights + caloric deficit, cardio is optional (although advised for cardiovascular health)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I believe if your trying to loose a lot of weight you should start out by doing 80% cardio and 20% weights that way your burning tons of calories and toning at the same time.

I believe you are 100% wrong.

you need 100% calorie deficit to lose weight. The ratio of weights to cardio does not matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Lol I was wondering the same thing...

count me in as wondering too ….
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Lifting is so much fun!

But my trainer told me early on, and I wrote that check for $300 and listed up to what they said...

You can't out exercise your fork

It was a joke but true for me.

1800 calories a day. Workout levels progressed in intensity over time.

Lifting got added in soon.

I hated it. I'm not gonna lie.

And I even was told to eat mainly nutrious foods as a further slap in the pie hole.

So it all works together as most everyone said.

But if you are not burning more than you take I it is all exercise for the sake of exercise.

And some people workout to eat whatever they want.

When I get to my target weight, I may eat more and burn it off by doing more once in a while.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nah i start with calorie deficit as thats the most important. Once you realise how much exercise you have to do to burn calories, then you realise its easier to eat less than burn. It can be useful though, if you are prepared to do a lot consistently. Not everyone is or can.

I started my exercise 50/50 and kept that up. Weights are a min 3x a week unless injured/ill. Its just as importnat to maintain the LBM and get the benefits of a greater ratio of muscle.

Nearly everyone, is telling you the same thing. the thing they have in common, they have lost weight.

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% dr oz. Everything else is noise.