cauliflower

Options
Ive been seeing alot of cauliflower rice and was woundering what the health benfits of cauliflower is?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a low calorie vegetable that's fairly versatile and adopts flavours well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is no more beneficial than other non starchy vegetables, but it's good to eat lots of non starchy vegetables. I think people make cauliflower rice because they want rice, but cauliflower has far fewer calories, a generally neutral taste, and a texture that allows you to make such things.

I don't see the point and don't like my veggies minced or mushed up, usually, so I avoid the whole fake rice or fake mashed potato thing and just eat cauliflower or other vegetables roasted in lieu of rice or potatoes if I wish to avoid the calories.

I feel the same way about making noodles out of zucchini, although I agree that pasta sauce often tastes really nice on some zucchini (although I usually just put it in my sauce) or preferably roasted winter squash. Spaghetti squash is also quite tasty.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's a regular, nutritious, low calorie, non-starchy vegetable.

It works well as a substitute for things when your calories (or carbs, or both) are lower.

I haven't tried it in recipes where'd I'd normally use rice, YET. But have created mashed cauliflower recipes and loved them. My family loves them as well. I've used it as the base of a crust for pizza, and it was great, but I prefer using zucchini for that.

And, yes, I really enjoy zucchini in recipes that normally include pasta.

It's just a way to lower calories and increase nutrients. Riced cauliflower can be pretty darned versatile.
    cheers
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Plus cauliflower has lots of fiber. I eat rice. I eat cauliflower. I prefer to prepare each food to bring out its best qualities. Try this roast cauliflower recipe. Screamingly easy to prepare.

https://pinterest.com/pin/405112928953681691/
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Riced and mashed cauliflower is a tasty dish in its own right. I don't consider it a "fake" food as it is just cauliflower. The cauliflower takes flavors well and allows your seasonings to shine. The fact that it is low carb and nutritious is a nice bonus.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cauliflower tastes delicious roasted, and a whole pound is 100 calories. I defrost a bag of frozen cauliflower florets and roast it at 345 degrees for 45 minutes with olive oil spray, salt, garlic powder and tofu cubes (which add another 400 calories to the recipe) at least once a week.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    But have created mashed cauliflower recipes and loved them.

See for me cauliflower tastes better not mashed, so I don't see the point in trying to mimic a different food entirely.

Of course, I rarely mash potatoes either.

Anyway, if you enjoy it, great. I consider myself a cauliflower purist, that's all, and think it should be appreciated for itself (and I love it, had some roasted with broccoli as part of my breakfast) rather than constantly used as a pretender in various dishes, as seems to be popular on MFP.

But I don't expect anyone else to care about my subjective views here, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Plus cauliflower has lots of fiber. I eat rice. I eat cauliflower. I prefer to prepare each food to bring out its best qualities. Try this roast cauliflower recipe. Screamingly easy to prepare.

https://pinterest.com/pin/405112928953681691/

However, this post makes me happy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But have created mashed cauliflower recipes and loved them.

See for me cauliflower tastes better not mashed, so I don't see the point in trying to mimic a different food entirely.

Of course, I rarely mash potatoes either.

Anyway, if you enjoy it, great. I consider myself a cauliflower purist, that's all, and think it should be appreciated for itself (and I love it, had some roasted with broccoli as part of my breakfast) rather than constantly used as a pretender in various dishes, as seems to be popular on MFP.

But I don't expect anyone else to care about my subjective views here, of course.

I enjoy it in a variety of recipes. Some of them are smashed.
    :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    Riced and mashed cauliflower is a tasty dish in its own right. I don't consider it a "fake" food as it is just cauliflower. The cauliflower takes flavors well and allows your seasonings to shine. The fact that it is low carb and nutritious is a nice bonus.

Nicely put.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes now sells bags of riced cauliflower which is a huge timesaver. There are so many health befits to cauliflower. Vitamins, anti-carcinogenic properties, anti-inflammatory. I don't eat rice or grains so it's been a great alternative. We make it with curry and chicken and my husband who doesn't like cauliflower actually loves it!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    Trader Joes now sells bags of riced cauliflower which is a huge timesaver. There are so many health befits to cauliflower. Vitamins, anti-carcinogenic properties, anti-inflammatory. I don't eat rice or grains so it's been a great alternative. We make it with curry and chicken and my husband who doesn't like cauliflower actually loves it!

:o I'm going to have to see if there's a Trader Joe's near me. I'd eat cauliflower more often, but I hate the task of having to drag out my food processor to make faux mashed potatoes.

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I buy it, try different recipes, and throw it out. I don't like it. It has a mushy texture, even roasted. Just not a fan.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »

Cauliflower tastes delicious roasted, and a whole pound is 100 calories. I defrost a bag of frozen cauliflower florets and roast it at 345 degrees for 45 minutes with olive oil spray, salt, garlic powder and tofu cubes (which add another 400 calories to the recipe) at least once a week.

The roasted Cauli sounds delish... particularly handy to do it with frozen for when I don't have fresh!

Love the idea of TJ's carrying riced cauliflower, might have to give it a try.

Thanks to you both :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, cauliflower is my new favorite (even though it's kinda stinky)
    I brush it with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan or whatever spices my wee heart fancies then bake it until golden.
    I boil it and mash it with a bit of chicken stock
    I steam it and mash it up to look like rice.
    I nibble it raw.
    Yummy stinky stuff
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You know, cauliflower is just as healthy when you eat it in the normal way--for example, chopped and roasted. I still don't get the rage to mash it or rice it or, especially, to make it sub for other things. You don't need rice to complete a meal, and that includes cauliflower riced.

Again, nothing wrong with it if you like it better that way, but it seems like making it more complicated than it needs to be.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We actually prefer mashed cauliflower if we want a mash. ...I don't make it or flavor it the same as potatoes. I still eat potatoes, white/yellow/red and sweet, usually baked, pretty often.

I like using cauliflower as rice because it does taste good to me and it's a good way to bulk up a recipe when I'm really hungry. I've never been much of a rice eater so it's not really a sub for me.

The low calories in both preparations is what got me to try it the first time.