Drink water to lose water?

Options
Is there any scientific evidence to support that?

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    well I think you'll die if you don't drink it
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    well I think you'll die if you don't drink it

This advice is pretty darn good, 100% certified scientific proof.

And I think that is how it works, yes. If you have an increase in water weight, drinking more water can decrease it (I think?).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Read title wrong.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    When you drink water you are letting your body know that it doesn't need to retain the fluid it's holding on to, so yes you can lose water weight by drinking more water.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Not from drinking water. However, water is essential for proper body/organ function.

OP isn't asking about fat loss.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Let's try this again ... There is a claim that if you drink EXTRA water, will help you to lose EXCESS water that your body has stored. Does anyone know if this has been scientifically proven?

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    you will already have lost water weight during the first week of dieting if you are on a steady deficit

why would you care about water weight in terms of weight loss anyway
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lots of myths on this topic. The way I see it, it's very simple: We need a certain amount of water/fluid every day. Food contains water. When dieting and eating less food than we need to maintain weight, we need to replace that water by drinking more.

I think I didn't notice what you were asking :D Why should we worry about water weight?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    Seriously? Let's try this again ... There is a claim that if you drink EXTRA water, will help you to lose EXCESS water that your body has stored. Does anyone know if this has been scientifically proven?

Seriously? Let's try this again ...

Why can't you google this and search for a study? Lol if you have the time to ask it on the MFP forums; you can search for it on google.
  • Addiewe
    Options

Why can't you google this and search for a study? Lol if you have the time to ask it on the MFP forums; you can search for it on google.

Wth is wrong with you? Forgot your manners? oops...

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Because Google doesn't curate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    snort
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

I just don't see why you can't google this if you have time to ask on the MFP forums. That is all.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well if you eat salt you retain water, and to lose this weight you have to flush it out with more water. Thus drinking water can help you lose weight on the short run if you also minimize your salt intake, which can be useful if you are doing competitions in a certain weight class, or when you ate too much salt on one particular day and you want to get rid of it, but this is not a strategy that I recommend on the long run.
  • Addiewe
    Options

I just don't see why you can't google this if you have time to ask on the MFP forums. That is all.

Why don't you go from thread to thread on here and say this to everyone that asks a question that can be found via Google? Seems you may appreciate it as a good use of your time...

• Addiewe
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »
    Well if you eat salt you retain water, and to lose this weight you have to flush it out with more water. Thus drinking water can help you lose weight on the short run if you also minimize your salt intake, which can be useful if you are doing competitions in a certain weight class, or when you ate too much salt on one particular day and you want to get rid of it, but this is not a strategy that I recommend on the long run.

Thanks
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Why don't you go from thread to thread on here and say this to everyone that asks a question that can be found via Google? Seems you may appreciate it as a good use of your time...

I think I might just do that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This looks like a good time for this:
    dtoze0fv2j73.gif
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some people care about water weight because they retain more than the average person, and it makes their body uncomfortable. OP, I don't understand the whole drink more to lose water thing, either. I do know limiting sodium and increasing potassium ought to help.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When you drink water you are letting your body know that it doesn't need to retain the fluid it's holding on to, so yes you can lose water weight by drinking more water.

Thanks. .I didn't know that :)