Are raspberry ketones worth trying?

Options
Anyone taken raspberry ketones?? Heard good things about them

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    No real clinical evidence supporting their claims.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    No real clinical evidence supporting their claims.

^^ That ^^
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Waste of money.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If it's been endorsed by Dr. Oz, I consider it snake oil.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They get lumped in with:

Garcinia Cambogia
    Slim tea
    Green coffee bean extract
    Green tea extract

Etc etc

All designed to part desperate, overweight people with their $$$$$$
  • dbailey96
    dbailey96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know think I read they are fairly new on the market so no one really has an medical evidence, just wondered if anyone has any experiences using them!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Good things like what? to lose weight? I seriously doubt its that simple.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    dbailey96 wrote: »
    Yeah I know think I read they are fairly new on the market so no one really has an medical evidence, just wondered if anyone has any experiences using them!

They've been around for a few years now. Please see the available research here:
    http://examine.com/supplements/Raspberry+Ketone/

There's no reason to believe they are effective, consequently this is a waste of money.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Before you spend money on herbal supplements of any kind, consider this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/

Many manufacturers don't even put the substance in the product that's claimed on the label. You'll be buying expensive "rice powder".
  • dbailey96
    Options
    No not on their own, they're meant to just be helpful speeding up your metabolism, I am skeptical of things like this I've heard a few people say it did speed things up for them but I thought I'd post on here as I was doubtful as many of the others say there is not much evidence so it seems like a money scam!
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think, like everything, they may have an impact for some people. While it doesn't state it on the bottle, I take one once a day at dinner and it curbs my appetite. I just feel full faster, it's been that way for about 3 weeks now. If I don't take one I seem to want to eat more or get hungry after dinner faster. I don't think it would work for everyone, but where I live it's $14.99 for 60 tablets, so for me, it's worth the money. Everyone's opinion will be different. Sometimes you got to look around to see what works for you. I'm not saying it helps lose weight, I eat at a calorie deficit and exercise daily and yes i'm losing weight, but for me it just curbs my hunger. Good luck in your journey.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    No not on their own, they're meant to just be helpful speeding up your metabolism, I am skeptical of things like this I've heard a few people say it did speed things up for them but I thought I'd post on here as I was doubtful as many of the others say there is not much evidence so it seems like a money scam!

Consider that personal anecdote is next to useless with fat loss supplements. There's pretty much zero way that someone could successfully conclude that it was the raspberry keytones responsible for any effect they think they are getting from them.

This supplement is useless. It's not going to speed up your metabolism. It's not possible to reach the dosing levels required for it to have the same effect it has in rodents and even in that case it wasn't showing fat loss, it was showing a reduction in FAT GAIN when eating excess calories. This is not the same as causing fat loss in humans.

Save your money.
  • dbailey96
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    No. I heard things to. I heard buying that helps you lose...your money, that's about it.

Eat at a calorie deficit. I've heard GREAT things about that.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting taking them alone that's not what they're meant for, I'm aware the most effective way is calorie deficit they're just allegedly meant to speed things up - I am skeptical, not looking for a diet pill to change my world haha
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope. Waste of time and money.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My doc says no.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    No
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    No. I heard things to. I heard buying that helps you lose...your money, that's about it.

Eat at a calorie deficit. I've heard GREAT things about that.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting taking them alone that's not what they're meant for, I'm aware the most effective way is calorie deficit they're just allegedly meant to speed things up - I am skeptical, not looking for a diet pill to change my world haha

They won't speed anything up. Seriously. :| Save your hard earned $$$