HELP? Ideas to motivate unhealthy teen daughter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I bought my daughter wii games Dance,Resort, Fit and Zumba . She likes it so much. especially on weekends my both kids like to play wii rather than watching TV. She is also doing Tae Kwon Do. But does not likes to play sport. Last summer I enrolled in 1 week basketball and 1 week soccer camp to just try which one she will prefer, because it was only for week not the whole season she agreed to signing up.
  • pinupchick82
    pinupchick82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    the trick is to find an activity she will enjoy, shes in to music so try a dance class like hip hop or zumba somthing that can tie into her intrests if she interested in performing then being good at dance can help that goal. also as a whole preforming is looks based, just motivate her using her intrests
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We have Wii Fit, Xbox Kinect and tons of games (3 or 4 dance games, Zumba, work out games, personal trainer games,sports, etc). We do alot of the dancing games together. I wear my HRM so I can log the cal burned for myself and she DOES seem proud of herself when she's broken a sweat. I've tried her in every sport possible throughout the years. I do have a weight set and cardio equipment in storage. We are looking for a larger house, and I plan on setting up a "game room" with work out equip and Wii with plenty of room for us to "play". Also install stereo system and TV. It will benefit both of us.
    Her friends are mostly "music geeks" (self-proclaimed). :) I have big butt and thighs (very muscular build) and spent most of my life thinking I was just "thick" (Cherokee Indian heritage) and was ok with my overweightness. Unfortunately, she carries it in belly and neck..not in hips and thighs. Poor girl has some genes working against her! I never mention the weight or pounds part of it..i just that I want her to be active. We actually like hanging out with each other, but I WILL stop suggesting "my" activities and ask her what SHE wants to do..as long as we move! Also-husband, my son and "bonus" daughter are SKINNY and eat whatever and however they want..so it does make it hard on daughter and myself.
    I like the idea of not "hinting" and just sitting down and having a heart-to-heart straight talk. Maybe just put it out there and then leave it alone..wait for HER to be ready when she wants advice or help. Continue to provide healthy food and active things around our house.

Thanks again for the wonderful ideas and advice!!
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    I hear what you're saying about getting rid of the junk food around the house, and inviting her to exercise etc. But please keep in mind that a 15 year old GIRL is going to take things very very personally. You need to approach this very carefully. Don't just drop hints and ask her to exercise with you. To a 15 year old, you might as well just tell her she's fat and worse... she's going to read into it.

Most 15 year olds I know want to be treated like an adult. So, I say asking her to set up a time that's convenient for HER to have an important talk. (Calling her into the livingroom and declaring it's time to talk is just taking power away from her.). Once you set up a date, try talking to her in a non threatening way.

Tell her, "I've been learning a lot about becoming healthy. I've only got a few more years until you're fully grown that I might get to teach you anything I'm learning. I think you're beautiful and perfect, and I always will. I just want to brainstorm a little about activities you might like to do to help you develop a healthy lifestyle that will follow you for the rest of your life.

As a parent, I want to do right by you. But I want you to have your own voice in this, so that you can be empowered."

Giving her the chance to have herself heard, and to help brainstorm activities makes it more HER decision, and one that will likely stick.

Sorry, but anything you plan for her, or suggest, might just get thrown out the window. She's definitely at that age where things are only cool if it's their idea.

Best wishes that your ideas will be received well!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Why not try get her to join a fun class. Does not have to be a sport maybe the likes of zumba which is great.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Very tricky area....Maybe you could ask her to go on a walk with you b/c you just want to spend some time with her? As for the extra helpings at dinner time, just make enough for each person... ?
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This just came in a Weight Watchers email:
    Get the kids off to a healthy start and boost your own weight-loss by making fitness a family affair

TV and video games are sometimes stiff competition for physical activity.Try these activity boosting tips to get your kids off the couch and out of the house this fall.

Do it together
    Kids love it when their parents join the game. So walk with them to the park, throw a Frisbee, fly a kite or kick a ball around. You're more likely to keep at an activity if it's something you enjoy. Let them tag along as you play ball, fish, hike, camp, surf or cycle. Kids enjoy making things, so set them a concrete goal, such as building a go-cart or clubhouse. This not only gets them moving, it brings about a sense of achievement.

Make it routine
    Rather than trying to work "quality fitness time" into your family schedule—which can often get bumped as more urgent tasks take priority—add movement to everyday activities. If your children's pocket money is conditional on performing chores, for example, make the chores more activity-based (walking the dog, washing the windows or car, raking leaves or running errands). Don't drive them to social engagements; encourage them to walk or ride their bikes instead.

Make outings more active
    Even so-called passive entertainments such as museums and theme parks can involve physical exertion (Disneyland, for example, extends over 185 acres, including parking; that's a lot of territory for little legs to cover!) The kids want to go to the movies? Walk at least part of the way to the theater. It's raining? Opt for energetic indoor pursuits such as bowling. Or turn up the stereo and have a dance contest.

Keep it simple
    You don't need a garage full of sports equipment to have fun. The more structured an activity, the more likely a child's fickle attention span is to switch off. They'll get at least as much entertainment out of a ball (soccer, handball, basketball), a length of rope (skipping), a piece of chalk (hopscotch, sidewalk art) or nothing at all (leapfrog, hide-and-seek, tag).

Don't make an issue out of it
    Nothing is guaranteed to turn kids off faster than nagging or harping on the benefits of exercise. It really doesn't matter which activities they participate in, or even how good they are at them as long as they keep it up. The key is making fun options available, while reducing less healthful ones, such as computer games.

Turn off the tube
    According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association children lose weight if they simply watch less TV. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that viewing be limited to one to two hours of "quality programming" per day, by contrast with the current average of over four hours daily; that adds up to almost 12 years parked in front of the TV by the age of 70!

Not only does TV take away from more active pursuits, but the average U.S. child has also viewed 360,000 advertisements before graduating from high school; many are for fatty snack foods, reinforcing unhealthy habits.

Make it safe
    Many parents, frightened of strangers or busy streets, are tempted to keep their child safely indoors. But by tacitly encouraging inactivity, they're actually courting dangers of a different sort, since lack of exercise is linked with significant health problems later in life, including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular problems and osteoporosis.

If you want to safeguard your children, go with them to the park or playground; always supervise potentially risky activities such as swimming. You don't always have time to oversee playtime? Check into the activities offered at playgroups, neighborhood centers or summer camps, then choose a program run by responsible adults.
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I noticed that my 13-year-old daughter was getting a little "pudgy," I started getting her to exercise with me. We make it a competition. For instance, yesterday I walked the dog for thirty minutes. That's 6 laps around my block. I bet my daughter that she couldn't ride her bike twice that far in the same amount of time. She took off like a rocket, and barely beat me. Then, because it was 95 degrees outside, I told her that her body needed to "cool down a bit," so I motivated her to walk slowly up and down our street until the 30 minutes was up. This morning I asked her how long she thought it would take her to go up and down the stairs 10 times. Again, she took off running. It won't take long before she figures out she's exercising, but I am hoping by then she will start to notice a difference in her body and will want to exercise with me.
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    I hear what you're saying about getting rid of the junk food around the house, and inviting her to exercise etc. But please keep in mind that a 15 year old GIRL is going to take things very very personally. You need to approach this very carefully. Don't just drop hints and ask her to exercise with you. To a 15 year old, you might as well just tell her she's fat and worse... she's going to read into it.

Most 15 year olds I know want to be treated like an adult. So, I say asking her to set up a time that's convenient for HER to have an important talk. (Calling her into the livingroom and declaring it's time to talk is just taking power away from her.). Once you set up a date, try talking to her in a non threatening way.

Tell her, "I've been learning a lot about becoming healthy. I've only got a few more years until you're fully grown that I might get to teach you anything I'm learning. I think you're beautiful and perfect, and I always will. I just want to brainstorm a little about activities you might like to do to help you develop a healthy lifestyle that will follow you for the rest of your life.

As a parent, I want to do right by you. But I want you to have your own voice in this, so that you can be empowered."

Giving her the chance to have herself heard, and to help brainstorm activities makes it more HER decision, and one that will likely stick.

Sorry, but anything you plan for her, or suggest, might just get thrown out the window. She's definitely at that age where things are only cool if it's their idea.

Best wishes that your ideas will be received well!

RIGHT ON!!! THANKS!!!! :happy:
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Maybe you could find some activity that she likes to do that doesn't feel like exercise that you guys could do together - like taking a martial arts or a dance class. Buy both of you guys rollerblades or find a place that will give horse riding lessons. Maybe learning to scuba dive together or something else that is fun that can help her get more active & had good bonding time for you guys. If she finds something she loves to do that is healthy & active - it could stick for a lifetime. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 I was a BRAT. Anything my parents told I would do the exact opposite of (well, as much as I could and still not get grounded). I did not want to be with my parents, I had a horrible relationship with them. But because I had such a bad relationship it helped me activity wise, I didn't want to be in the house with them so my friend and I would go for long walks around the neighborhood or jump on her trampoline for hours. I also did a lot of school activities because I didn't want to be at home.

When I was growing up though there were two things that my mom would tell me that still haunt me to this day. 1) Rachel, you have a huge forehead (consequently I now have bangs and can not dream of exposing my forehead) and 2) you're pretty thin, except your belly, that's where you carry your weight (since then I've gotten such a twisted form of my shape that I don't know if I have a big belly or not, but one thing is for sure, I'm always self conscious of it).

I think as a mom you're doing the perfect thing by buying only healthy things. Especially if she's dependent on you for money you know that she's not going out and buying junk food else where.

Bribery is probably the easiest way to be honest. Clothing, CD's, x-amount of money, larger allowance. That way she can make the decision to work to earn the "bribe" or to not, and you're not forcing anything on her.

I also liked the idea of having a doctor talk to her. As a parent, chances are she won't listen to you without getting mad. But with a 3rd party she's less likely to get upset. So either a doctor, or maybe a teacher or family friend that she's close with.
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    UPDATE! The Dr did talk to her privately and then with us together. Daughter refused referral to nutriotionist; stating she read enough and could ask me for advice.:) She set a goal for herself to move / exercise at least 30 minutes a day. She does NOT want to count calories or journal because when she "messes up" she gets depressed and then eats more and it's a unhealthy cycle. I fully support her simple goal of moving more. She has done this for almost 3 weeks, even texts me at work to tell me her calorie burn from dance games. :) She has dropped 5 or 6 lbs, which I have applauded. I explained that 1-2 lbs / week is perfect! I've encouraged her to focus on the goal of moving more and everything else will fall into place.

She wants to lose 20, I told her 15 would be awesome! Her goal weight reward is internet / multi media on her cell phone. It's something she has really wanted for 2 yrs, so I think she will work hard to meet her goal so she can get it. She's even looking for new cell phone (she will buy with her babysitting $) to go with her new data plan! Also..I promised her a shopping spree when she meets goal (I am putting goal at 15 lbs in my head, but if she hits 20, even better!).

All in all, the blunt talk about health worked. I told her how important it was to be active due to family history of diabetes. I told her I wasn't going to bring it up anymore; it had to be HER decision or it wasn't going to happen. Dr had same talk. Daughter came up with plan and goals and reward. Bribery will prevail, I think! Fingers crossed and pom-poms in my hands!! :)
    Thanks for all of the great advice!
  • beautymama2011
    Options
    you could have snacks like suger free pudding and suger free jello, single serving size cups and if she doesnt like vegies to much you can buy a bag of vegies and stir fry them with a little bit of teriaki sauce it makes them taist awsome and its low in calories :D you can also switch everything like bread, pasta, rice, and noodles to brown rice, whole grain or wheat :D im almost 20 and i had my son three months ago i weigh 240 now and back when i was 15 i weighed 190 i some times think that if i had just took better care of my self and excersized and ate healthier i may not be at the weight i am today..
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    UPDATE! The Dr did talk to her privately and then with us together. Daughter refused referral to nutriotionist; stating she read enough and could ask me for advice.:) She set a goal for herself to move / exercise at least 30 minutes a day. She does NOT want to count calories or journal because when she "messes up" she gets depressed and then eats more and it's a unhealthy cycle. I fully support her simple goal of moving more. She has done this for almost 3 weeks, even texts me at work to tell me her calorie burn from dance games. :) She has dropped 5 or 6 lbs, which I have applauded. I explained that 1-2 lbs / week is perfect! I've encouraged her to focus on the goal of moving more and everything else will fall into place.

She wants to lose 20, I told her 15 would be awesome! Her goal weight reward is internet / multi media on her cell phone. It's something she has really wanted for 2 yrs, so I think she will work hard to meet her goal so she can get it. She's even looking for new cell phone (she will buy with her babysitting $) to go with her new data plan! Also..I promised her a shopping spree when she meets goal (I am putting goal at 15 lbs in my head, but if she hits 20, even better!).

All in all, the blunt talk about health worked. I told her how important it was to be active due to family history of diabetes. I told her I wasn't going to bring it up anymore; it had to be HER decision or it wasn't going to happen. Dr had same talk. Daughter came up with plan and goals and reward. Bribery will prevail, I think! Fingers crossed and pom-poms in my hands!! :)
    Thanks for all of the great advice!

Terrific news!! Thanks for the update!!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    yeah. I was kind of always a chubby kid and my mom would give me "helpful hints" on exercising and losing weight and it just made me feel fat and unloved and I would go on crash diets that never worked. Now at 23, I'm the lowest weight I've been in the last 8 years, and it was because no one was pushing me to lose weight. I wanted to do it for myself. The most you can do is do your thing being healthy, but don't push it on her or it'll just give her self-esteem issues or make her think that you don't accept her. I know, because that's what my mom did.

This. I know this is such a tricky issue. But this.