Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

Foods/drinks you don't log

13

Replies

  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,348 Member
    edited June 2015
    GwenieW wrote: »
    Dear friends, stop drinking diet soda! It's a killer I'm sad to say. I drank it for, well, for all my life (I'm 60 now), and it has the exact opposite effect you'd expect. All "Light" products with aspertame are awful for your health, and why lose weight if you are going to be sick from it ... just saying. Also, switch to stevia (Truvia, etc.) or at the minimum Sucralose only, and quit the chemicals. I'm reformed, and I know it's hard because I had to stop my addiction too, but PLEASE consider your health along with your weight loss! Sorry for my preaching, but I suffered from that addiction and now am clean - drink naturally flavored, fizzy water (makes me think I'm drinking soda) with NO added anything, and I feel great. Now my addiction to potato chips, that's another thing entirely LOL!

    It is specifically against MFP rules to post something off-topic in a thread. If you really need to beat this dead horse even more than it's already been beaten, start your own thread. Plenty of people would be happy to fight with you over this topic there.
  • Kornflake69
    Kornflake69 Posts: 11 Member
    Black coffee and tea, green tea.
  • LegendOfBlake
    LegendOfBlake Posts: 35 Member
    There's an anti-diet pop health-nut cult that likes to kick up every time aspartame is mentioned but all studies have shown it to be harmless with no risk at all.

    I never count mustard or diet pop or spices or my chewable vitamin c tablet.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Logging everything
    so also spices

    Reason... i want to know how much potassium i get ( i eat salt less) And in spices there is potassium..a lot sometimes
    Other thing..i eat between 50 to 80 calories a day of spices..and other things that have just a couple of calories. Calculated it adds up..a lot
    50 calories a day is 350 a week! And this is only for some spices and herbs etc.

    Everything except water and my tea get weighed out and logged.

    I'm curious how you get 50 cals a day out of spices, and which ones. Most spices have something on the order of ~5 cals in a teaspoon. In a typical recipe I would use something like 1/8 - 1/2 tsp of a particular spice, and maybe 3-4 at most. So, even a heavily spiced preparation might add 1-3 cals in a serving.



    indeed heavenly spiced lol

    todays dinner only

    onion powder
    garlic
    curry
    pepper

    each 1 gram = 12 calories
    Dinner only
    Now the cooking spray ( it says 1/4 second is zero calories but watch this calculation)
    A bottle of cooking spray is a total of 473 calories!!! read the label
    When i do 10 days with a bottle ( i think its less thought 7 days but lets say 10 days) that is 47.3 calories a day of cooking spray. Lemon juice is 5 calories a teaspoon... i use this a lot too.

    now my lunch various from adding parsley thyme Fresh chopped garlic over salads and bamm another 20 right there.


    Like i said i eat a lot of spices and herbs. And when you log everything you find out ( for me) that you use between the 50 and 80 calories of this kinda "foods" a day!

  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    So if you use it a lot... log them. Because it really adds up.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    btw another factor is that

    i must track my salt intake and potassium
    and spices and herbs have a lot of potassium ( i go over the 3500 mg potassium a day sometimes).

    The zero mustard has salt, i have to know that. So even zero calorie products i have to log to find out how much salt i take in.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Logging everything
    so also spices

    Reason... i want to know how much potassium i get ( i eat salt less) And in spices there is potassium..a lot sometimes
    Other thing..i eat between 50 to 80 calories a day of spices..and other things that have just a couple of calories. Calculated it adds up..a lot
    50 calories a day is 350 a week! And this is only for some spices and herbs etc.

    Everything except water and my tea get weighed out and logged.

    I'm curious how you get 50 cals a day out of spices, and which ones. Most spices have something on the order of ~5 cals in a teaspoon. In a typical recipe I would use something like 1/8 - 1/2 tsp of a particular spice, and maybe 3-4 at most. So, even a heavily spiced preparation might add 1-3 cals in a serving.



    indeed heavenly spiced lol

    todays dinner only

    onion powder
    garlic
    curry
    pepper

    each 1 gram = 12 calories
    Dinner only
    Now the cooking spray ( it says 1/4 second is zero calories but watch this calculation)
    A bottle of cooking spray is a total of 473 calories!!! read the label
    When i do 10 days with a bottle ( i think its less thought 7 days but lets say 10 days) that is 47.3 calories a day of cooking spray. Lemon juice is 5 calories a teaspoon... i use this a lot too.

    now my lunch various from adding parsley thyme Fresh chopped garlic over salads and bamm another 20 right there.


    Like i said i eat a lot of spices and herbs. And when you log everything you find out ( for me) that you use between the 50 and 80 calories of this kinda "foods" a day!

    That's cool. I was very curious how you got that much.

    I'll make a spice rub for chicken with 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4tsp cumin, 1/2tsp garlic, powder, and 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. The whole mix will come up to about 2-3 grams and will season a whole pack of 6-8 chicken thighs easily. Since the whole mix comes up to maybe 10-20 calories, the added cals/meal (for my case) is about 1-2 calories. That's well below margin of error for the actual food.

    As for the cooking spray, you're very correct that the 0 calorie labeling assumes a very short burst. But in my case I get at least 1-2 months out of a 6oz can of spray. I could try to estimate it on a given meal, but it's also below the margin of error.

    Either way, I have a large enough deficit that calories from spices or 1/2 sec of cooking spray shouldn't hold me back.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Hot sauce, mustard, pickles, gum, diet soda or monster zero
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Logging everything
    so also spices

    Reason... i want to know how much potassium i get ( i eat salt less) And in spices there is potassium..a lot sometimes
    Other thing..i eat between 50 to 80 calories a day of spices..and other things that have just a couple of calories. Calculated it adds up..a lot
    50 calories a day is 350 a week! And this is only for some spices and herbs etc.

    Everything except water and my tea get weighed out and logged.

    I'm curious how you get 50 cals a day out of spices, and which ones. Most spices have something on the order of ~5 cals in a teaspoon. In a typical recipe I would use something like 1/8 - 1/2 tsp of a particular spice, and maybe 3-4 at most. So, even a heavily spiced preparation might add 1-3 cals in a serving.



    indeed heavenly spiced lol

    todays dinner only

    onion powder
    garlic
    curry
    pepper

    each 1 gram = 12 calories
    Dinner only
    Now the cooking spray ( it says 1/4 second is zero calories but watch this calculation)
    A bottle of cooking spray is a total of 473 calories!!! read the label
    When i do 10 days with a bottle ( i think its less thought 7 days but lets say 10 days) that is 47.3 calories a day of cooking spray. Lemon juice is 5 calories a teaspoon... i use this a lot too.

    now my lunch various from adding parsley thyme Fresh chopped garlic over salads and bamm another 20 right there.


    Like i said i eat a lot of spices and herbs. And when you log everything you find out ( for me) that you use between the 50 and 80 calories of this kinda "foods" a day!

    That's cool. I was very curious how you got that much.

    I'll make a spice rub for chicken with 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4tsp cumin, 1/2tsp garlic, powder, and 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. The whole mix will come up to about 2-3 grams and will season a whole pack of 6-8 chicken thighs easily. Since the whole mix comes up to maybe 1-2 calories, the added cals/meal (for my case) is about 1-2 calories. That's well below margin of error for the actual food.

    As for the cooking spray, you're very correct that the 0 calorie labeling assumes a very short burst. But in my case I get at least 1-2 months out of a 6oz can of spray. I could try to estimate it on a given meal, but it's also below the margin of error.

    Either way, I have a large enough deficit that calories from spices or 1/2 sec of cooking spray shouldn't hold me back.

    At this moment my deficit is large enough too. But it is getting quickly smaller and smaller. :(
    And the tracking correctly is important for my overall stats too :)

    I use a lot of olive oil cooking spray indeed, less butter. I also use it for my air-popped popcorn :)
    So yes lol it adds up.

  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,349 Member
    Gum, coffee (I do log any cream), diet pop, those 5 cal drink mix packets, spices, cooking spray, one two or three baby carrots I might have for a snack during the day, one or two pcs of candy I occasionally sneak from a coworkers desk. Damn these could add up! I mostly compensate for any inaccuracies these may introduce via activity though
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Diet coke, black coffee, herbal tea's (but I log the honey), salt, pepper and dry seasonings (but I do log rubs etc) like mixed herbs, sugar free gum, sometimes I don't weigh the herbs off my window sill. I'm too lazy to weigh cookies etc, I go by the one cookie is x calories although I understand a two cookie pack often has one cookie bigger than the other.

    Foods I don't weigh but I do mostly log (don't crucify me please!) Iceburg lettuce, cucumber, hot sause, jalepenos, pre packed salad bowls without dressing, to my mind a half a bowl or a guess is close enough. Those extra 4-30 calories prob won't wreck my def. Drinks under about 30 calories a cup I just use my usual cup. Some people take weighing too far imo, Ive been watching my calories/logging/weighing like a hawk for years, I take my food scales away in holiday but weighing salt and pepper is ridiculous even to me.
  • lacey2luv
    lacey2luv Posts: 1 Member
    I do not log coffee or tea, meds or supplements/vitamins. I do log the spices in my morning steel cut oatmeal, dashes of salt (follow sodium content), and artificial sweeteners on the extremely rare occasion I use when at a restaurant. Do not ever drink soda - diet or regular, vitamin water or any other beverage containing artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, etc.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    I don't log stevia sweetener that I put in my coffee, spices, water, crystal light no-cal flavoring, and gum.
  • joyfulton94
    joyfulton94 Posts: 15 Member
    Seasoning, hot sauce, ketchup or mustard. Single bites or tastes of food when cooking. I rarely eat back exercise calories and am still losing above my weekly goal so until something changes I'll stick with this.
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 65 Member
    I don't log foraged foods I eat. I would but many are not in the database. I also forget to log spices. Everything else I log.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Annaduurai wrote: »
    I don't log foraged foods I eat. I would but many are not in the database. I also forget to log spices. Everything else I log.

    you can create your own entrees ;)

  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    water and balsamic vinegar
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    lacey2luv wrote: »
    I do not log coffee or tea, meds or supplements/vitamins. I do log the spices in my morning steel cut oatmeal, dashes of salt (follow sodium content), and artificial sweeteners on the extremely rare occasion I use when at a restaurant. Do not ever drink soda - diet or regular, vitamin water or any other beverage containing artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, etc.

    fish oil is like 40-60 cals, depending on how much you take

    i like to log supplements because it helps remind me to take them :/
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 128 Member
    Just vinegar. I like vinegar and use it a lot but I add more during eating so it's almost impossible to keep track.