Crazy, but I want to know how to shrink muscle?

I was training for a fitness competition for several months. But at the last minute I had a family tragedy & competing was no longer a priority. However now when I look in the mirror I really don't care for how I am looking. Big biceps, trap muscles that make my neck look big, huge shoulders. I love to have muscle definition, but I just don't want to look big. So how should I start training in order to keep definition, but just bring my muscle down to a smaller size to create an overall smaller look? Someone told me that higher reps at less weight is a myth & doesn't do anything. Is that true? I know they say lifting heavy won't make ladies look big or bulky, but I honestly put on muscle very easily. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Less strength training, lower your weight a little - maybe even do body weight for awhile? lower your protein intake a little if you previously were on high protein and up your cardio.
    Maybe go back to beginner work outs until you hit your goal. :)
  • Zoey2120
    Zoey2120 Posts: 27 Member
    Less strength training, lower your weight a little - maybe even do body weight for awhile? lower your protein intake a little if you previously were on high protein and up your cardio.
    Maybe go back to beginner work outs until you hit your goal. :)

Thank you :-)

• rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    cardio to kill the gains
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You don't put on muscle easily....it's likely the extra layer of (healthy, necessary) fat that is making you look bigger than you'd like. I get it - i compete too!

You can do lighter weight, higher reps. Cut back your weight training days. Incorporate more cardio. It is definitely possible to lose size if that's what you want
  • Zoey2120
    You don't put on muscle easily....it's likely the extra layer of (healthy, necessary) fat that is making you look bigger than you'd like. I get it - i compete too!

You can do lighter weight, higher reps. Cut back your weight training days. Incorporate more cardio. It is definitely possible to lose size if that's what you want

Thanks so much. Should I just do half the weight I was doing before? Like instead of using 20 pound dumbells for the shoulder press do 10 pounds?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I saw a documentary about this. They guy who was a body builder changed his diet to lower protein low calorie and upped the cardio. I don't think he was doing any weights. In the end he looked like someone on the front of men's health magazine.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    rgrange wrote: »
    cardio to kill the gains

I really wish this moronic idea would die a horrible death
  • Zoey2120
    I'm not trying to start a debate. Just looking for advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Zoey2120 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to start a debate. Just looking for advice.

A picture of how 'big' you are would be helpful
  • Zoey2120
    pugyciew6x2w.jpg

See my arms, I don't want that.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Geeze, I wish I had the same problem as all these "easy gainers." *smh*
  • Zoey2120
    I don't mind having booty & shapely legs. But above the waist I want a more slender look. I pick up a freaking coffee cup & people are like "Whoa look at those biceps!"
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    As that's a really good picture, I fail to see a problem. Still, if it's what you really want to do, I'd agree that lifting less and dropping your weight a few pounds should help with your "muscle problem."

I must reiterate that it's a REALLY good picture, however.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Lower your bodyfat
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    I just came in to say that, OP, you are a beauty. Couldn't not say it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Zoey2120 wrote: »
    pugyciew6x2w.jpg

See my arms, I don't want that.

i see nothing wrong with this picture...
  • ndj1979
    OP - do nothing for a four months and eat a diet of 100% twinkies, ice cream, and cake. That should solve your problem. And for all the clean eaters you know have the MFP poster advocating for a diet of 100% twinkies and ice cream ….with the caveat that it is only for this one rare instance.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Hypertrophy is done through moderate weights at higher reps. Up your weights to the point you can do at the very most 5 reps, more like 3 though and 5 sets with a solid 60seconds between sets.

Yes, you can lower the weights and do lots and lots of reps and lose bulk but you won't likely retain the definition you want.
  • ndj1979
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Hypertrophy is done through moderate weights at higher reps. Up your weights to the point you can do at the very most 5 reps, more like 3 though and 5 sets with a solid 60seconds between sets.

Yes, you can lower the weights and do lots and lots of reps and lose bulk but you won't likely retain the definition you want.

i fail to see how going to a strength training routine is going to do what OP wants it to do...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »

i fail to see how going to a strength training routine is going to do what OP wants it to do...

I haven't finished my coffee so I actually tried to make sense of it for a second..