Broken-hearted but motivated

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds very stressful. Besides all their issues, i couldn't imagine that many people living in a 2bedroom place. It would be stressful for anyone in that situation. A few things jumped out at me besides the obvious (addiction issues,not working) , if you lived in nj right now, the cps wouldn't even allow a 1yr old and 8yr old kids to live in that situation,there's actually a rule here about children and parents having personal space .they dont want several adults sharing bedrooms with kids. I know this ffor a fact because my sister is a supervisor for our division of youth and family services. They believe having that many people packed into a home is unhealthy. So since every state is different, im sure the rules are different where you are but she needs to talk to her case worker about seeking housing assistance. With housing assistance, they can get a low income apt and move out of your home. But theres a catch, theyll likely need to go to drug treatment, work programs to teach them how to find jobs and counseling to help work through the issues that caused them to become homeless in the first place. So it will require work. But there are programs out there so they need to go down to the local welfare office and apply for assistance.that way they can be working towards getting out of your home. If she already has cps involved, she should've asked for help before. Here in nj, that living situation wouldn't be considered healthy by cps. Theres just too many people packed in there . It boggles my mind why if she already has cps involved that the caseworkers havent offered any assistance programs or at least spoke up about how unhealthy this living situation is.
    Your husband is basically supporting 5adults and 2kids and that cant be fun .but since your husband doesn't want to speak up and stand up to them , is there a chance he really wants them there? If no, then both of you really need to sit down and have a long talk with them to let them know that they need to work so they can earn enough money to leave. Sadly it sounds like they are comfortable in that situation so probably need to be told that its not okay to stay much longer.without him speaking up and standing up to them, they'll probably never leave.
    I feel for you because this all sounds absolutely miserable. I wouldn't be able to handle it. I would go insane with all those people living in my home. Your home has been taken over by sloths so you definitely need a plan b . I cant see them just leaving. And again, here in nj after thirty days they are considered tenants even though they dont pay rent and you would have to file a eviction notice with the courts in order to get them out. So id check what the laws are in your area so you'll know what your next move will be.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It sounds like trying to lose a few pounds is the least of your worries. The fact that your husband wants to leave you and your one year old over a situation that HE put you in is beyond the beyond. You cut ties with your own family because you didn't want to deal with that drama, correct? He can't seem to do the same. Oh yeah, and his brother. Why isn't the brother helping out in this situation?
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at most of the posts responding to you. I just wanted to tell you my heart goes out to you. You are way to young to be taking care of your in-laws. The two of you just started out. And, as for the suggestion you let your mil take care of the baby so you can get a job. Only you know if you can trust her or if you want to get a outside job and give her the wonderful job of being with your beautiful son. You should not have to go out and work to support your in-laws and you are working by raising a one year old and taking care of your house. The only mistake you made was having such a big heart and wanting to do the right thing and allowing them to move in. I'm 55 and wouldn't know what to do if i got into your situation. But, I wish you all the luck in the world.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Erm, wow. You painted a rather ugly picture in your original post. And the later attempts to make it a prettier picture just made it look worse. :(

Here are my pseudo-family-counselor ideas...

You are married. Remind yourself that is it not "his family" it is "our family". The positivism you seek may flow more naturally with that in mind. Still, helping and loving your family does not mean allowing them to do whatever they please; especially at your expense.

Sit down with your husband and decide on (1) a move-out date, and (2) a list of rules/conditions of family staying in your home.

(1) This living arrangement should not go on forever. The two of you need to come to a consensus on a move-out date. The date should not be "when they get on their feet" or "soon". The date should be on the calendar; a month, 6 months, year, etc. This should be discussed/debated between the two of you until you are on the same page. Then, as a cohesive unit, meet with the family. Clearly state that they must leave after this move-out date.

(2) The list of rules/conditions should contain hard rules (non-negotiable) and soft rules (negotiable). As a cohesive unit, meet with the family. Explain which rules are "hard" and which rules are "soft". Kindly refuse to bend the hard rules. Be open to their ideas on soft rules. Allow them to speak without interruption Then, continue where you left off. Expect some "finger pointing"; to which you should listen without interrupting. However, do not follow them down that path. Instead, state that this meeting is about the rules they need to follow and other issues can be discussed at a different time. Clearly state that they must leave after X number of rule violations.

In later posts, you described your husband as a nice guy that needs help standing up to his family, and you described the family as overly-sensitive people who need a helping hand. If these descriptions are true, the tasks above are quite reasonable.

On a side note, you mentioned that his brother has a house? Is it more cramped than your two-bedroom apartment? If not, it is interesting that he hasn't taken a couple of them in.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that focusing on weight loss for yourself is an excellent idea. You're stressed out, crowded in, and upset -- it'll be good to have a healthy distraction, and it will be good to have something positive to share with your husband (instead of, "Your dad ate all the chips again!" it'll be, "I made X exercise improvemet" or "I lost a pound this week."). Exercise improves mood for a lot of people; it could be just what you need.

Depending on the exercise you choose (maybe taking your young child for walks in the park could be one?), you can get some needed distance from your in-laws on a daily basis. Your child is likely to do something adorable while you're out together -- there's another positive thing to share with your husband.

I'm going to guess that with so many people being supported by one income, money is tight, so maybe dates with your husband are hard to arrange, but a picnic costs nothing more than it costs to eat at home, and community events are often free. Maybe making time to have a date (with or without your child in tow) with your husband and holding yourself to a strict no-in-law-complaint rule while there could help ease your stress and give you a chance to spend time with your husband whom you clearly love.

Find someone else to complain to if you must (anonymous people on the internet work just fine); just remember that complaining does little good, and, in your case, has done some harm, so save your complaints to your husband for things that are absolutely unacceptable or dangerous rather than simply annoying.

I don't think it's unreasonable for your husband to be tired of constant complaints. Chances are he's also stressed, and that just adds to it. You need each other right now; you both need to be supportive. Besides, curbing your complaints some can actually make you feel better. I know when I've been complaining a lot about work things beyond my control, everything annoys me even more. To stop the downward spiral, I think of someone at work I appreciate and write a thank-you note. The feeling of genuine gratitude erases my desire to complain. Perhaps you can find a similar coping strategy.

Finally, I am a firm believer that just about anything is bearable when there's an end in sight. You've said they can only stay six months and your husband agrees. Perfect. Every day is a step closer to peace.

Good luck.

• socksoffortitude
    socksoffortitude Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to be very straight with you, and it's going to hurt your feelings. Do you realize how classicly co-dependant your answers are on this thread? It's pretty common to paint the picture for people, then jump to defense when they try to make realize how bad it really is. You don't seem to grasp the levity of the situation you are in, and the situation your child is in.
    Really, listen to what you are being told here. You know it's bad, but you need to understand the long-term consequences of your situation.
    You may want to lose weight, and that may give you a sense of euphoria that will help you feel better in your situation, but, seriously, you've got bigger fish to fry.
    Do you really think that, just because your addict relatives aren't actively abusing your child, that it won't cause any long-term damage to her?

I'm not trying to be mean, but you really need to be aware of the seriousness of the situation that you are in.

This.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have some phrases that have helped me, during my journeys.
    -IF ITS IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU'LL FIND A WAY. IF ITS NOT, YOU'LL FIND AN EXCUSE.

To me this means important stuff have a way of rising to the surface. You family is mentally abusing you, by making their problems your problems. You stand in front of them and state plainly, "YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO REMOVE YOURSELVES FROM MY HOME. No excuses. If they don't, call the police, and have them removed. Don't think about all the (this is not how you treat family excuses), or the (my husband should be doing this). Your home, you have a RIGHT to dictate the conditions on your childs surroundings. No meth, no alcohol, PERIOD.

This is a phrase that helps me find my path, on days when Im feeling blue.

- MAYBE THE JOURNEY ISN'T SO MUCH ABOUT BECOMING ANYTHING. MAYBE ITS UN-BECOMING EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T YOU, SO YOU CAN BE WHO YOU WERE MEANT TO BE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Powerful words, but your invironment is so important, especially when you are cultivating a family, loving your husband, and child. Toxic invironments breed hatred, and your husband feels caught in the middle. So you say, I know they are your family, but I will stand up for you. If I were in your shoes, I would spin it with a "I love you so I am letting you make your own problems".

UNIVERSAL LAWS DICTATE WHEN YOU GIVE NOTHING YOU GET NOTHING.

your in-laws have chosen to get nothing, and have chosen to give you the burden of that. Sad realities, but you can be in the drivers seat of your familes life.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have an idea, get rid of the chips and junk food. Restock your home with raw veggies and tofu, they will leave voluntarily and you'll lose weight. Win, Win
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Two words: adverse possession, i.e. squatter's rights. Make sure they don't meet the requirement for this as defined by your specific state, or else you might not be able to get them out at all.
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are getting wrapped up in other people's drama.

To be happy now, you have to get independent, imho. Get out of that situation. There are resources if you seek them out.

Get a job. Get some money, move to a new place a new town, make a fresh start. If you do try to work it out with your husband, set VERY CLEAR boundaries. Good luck. I wish you the best. Hang in there.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Two words: adverse possession, i.e. squatter's rights. Make sure they don't meet the requirement for this as defined by your specific state, or else you might not be able to get them out at all.

wise words...didn't think of that.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have never met a strong person with an easy past.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You lost me at meth addict in a home with your child.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »

wise words...didn't think of that.

Just NO.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hummm...a person wants help and posts a topic....people respond with their opinions....opinions bring on defensive, rationalizing behavior about the problems. This is a lot of getting no where. Bye
  • aewaters10
    aewaters10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    Hummm...a person wants help and posts a topic....people respond with their opinions....opinions bring on defensive, rationalizing behavior about the problems. This is a lot of getting no where. Bye

Nope, I never asked for help, I provided an explanation for why I had people in my house, and why I couldn't just kick them out, that was the purpose of a lot of the information. I had already said it right there in in my original post, I have already dealt with those issues. I am moving on, I never asked for opinions about them. I came to the "motivation and SUPPORT" forum on a FITNESS app, because that is what I was looking for, support and understanding for my new goal FITNESS GOAL, to be a better, happier me. Everyone else decided to try and pick my situation apart and make ridiculous judgments. What are you doing reading post on a forum called "support" if you have none to offer?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    aewaters10 wrote: »

Nope, I never asked for help, I provided an explanation for why I had people in my house, and why I couldn't just kick them out, that was the purpose of a lot of the information. I had already said it right there in in my original post, I have already dealt with those issues. I am moving on, I never asked for opinions about them. I came to the "motivation and SUPPORT" forum on a FITNESS app, because that is what I was looking for, support and understanding for my new goal FITNESS GOAL, to be a better, happier me. Everyone else decided to try and pick my situation apart and make ridiculous judgments. What are you doing reading post on a forum called "support" if you have none to offer?

OP, please don't let the astoundingly insensitive and judgmental comments get you down. It's like some people have literally no compassion for others and just like to hear their own snarky voices.

I am so sorry for your situation and I hope you find a way to make it out of it stronger and happier. In that regard, I think taking care of yourself and your health can only help.

Edit: I wasn't referring to those who were actually trying to help OP. I was referring to the posts like the one she just responded to.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aewaters10 wrote: »

OP if you thought these issues are irrelevant you would not have mentioned them. You would have posted about your weight loss struggles. There is a reason you posted all the background. The reason being, it is the big elephant in the room, that will not go away no matter what you do. You wanted validation: you can do it honey, you can lose the weight, be more upbeat, and then your husband will never leave you, will make all the bad guys go away and be your hero in shining armor. You are not alone, you cannot imagine how old and common this story is: "if I looked better, if I lost weight, if he could get a better job, if the kids were better behaved, if we finally got a break, if if if" . It does not work this way, ever.
    I know how you feel. You got away from a bad situation in your family, you thought that all woudl be fixed if you hurried to get a family of your own. Again, it very rarely works this way. And you cannot turn back time and change things to make them easier, so you need to work with the situation as it is. You risk losing your kid if someone calls social services on you. Whether you open the door looking like a supermodel or like a complete mess, will nto make a difference. You say you cut out your own family, do not give reasons to your kid to do the same. Call for help. Report your situation to social services, so they can work with you to help you. Seek a shelter for women and kids in need. Call the police on your sister in law. Pack your bags and leave. Call friends and relatives for help. Call your local church and see if they can help. Do something to actually help your situation. Do not act like a maiden in distress waiting for her husband to fix things for her, while she focuses on looking pretty and acting happy.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that your husband had a brother near by. Perhaps some of the family could move in with him. Also, I am surprised that the apartment management would allow so many to live in a 2 bedroom apartment.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Seriously, get them out.
    This kind of stress from free loaders caused contributed to my ex wife and I eventually divorcing. I had to kick out her cousin because she was too afraid to.confront him when he ended up bringing marijuana into our house. Heck, the three months before my ex moved out, I was spending the time we were no longer sending together working out, and I started losing weight. Some of it made me happier, but it had zero impact on my relationship being happier.
    The fact that your husband feels he can give his family members six months, but tells you he's controlling divorce now seems at least hypocritical.