Ooops, I ate all the Flapjack!

Options
Hi guys,

I'm Kate, I started my diet on the 1st June, weighed 68.8kg on 3rd June, trying to get to 64.0kg by July first. This week was going great, generally net calories under 1000 easily (except Tuesday but the was still under my 1200).

Except today, I ate the whole box of mini flapjack bites, 1500 calories! The only other thing I've eaten this morning was 150g of raspberries, very low cal, but I'm still aiming to be below 1200 minimum. Currently on 1318 (118 above my target), so I need to lose some, and I've not eaten dinner yet! What can I do? I don't want to lose my diet here already!

I'm 18 years old and 5"3 btw.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why are you only netting 1000 cals?
  • KateBarton97
    KateBarton97 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    MFP suggested I ate 1000-12000 a day to lose weight, so just under 1000 was my goal to take into account inaccuracies
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    MFP suggested I ate 1000-12000 a day to lose weight, so just under 1000 was my goal to take into account inaccuracies

MFP wouldn't suggest under 1200....
  • KateBarton97
    KateBarton97 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Well I'm not making it up, I made the account and it gave me a goal of 1200 a day. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I just wanted to shift this weight asap. I think eating more than that would be a problem and slow me down.
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Well I'm not making it up, I made the account and it gave me a goal of 1200 a day. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I just wanted to shift this weight asap. I think eating more than that would be a problem and slow me down.

Eating under 1000 calories will only give you trouble, I say this from experience. For me it lead to binge eating like crazy, moodiness, being "hangry" all the time.
    It's better to set a minimum of 1200 calories, and that's still quite low. Ideally you should eat at least your BMR, which is the energy your body burns while at complete rest. You'll lose weight at a slower rate but, along with a proper amount of protein in your diet, you'll reduce muscle loss and won't be as hangry.

When you eat under 1000 calories MFP says you're not eating enough, which is probably the source of the confusion. But that doesn't mean that it's suggesting you to eat 1000 calories.

You're not supposed to starve yourself in order to lose weight :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can get some more exercise in for today. Or you can just accept that you slipped and move on. Your diet isn't ruined either way, because you're not going to do that again, right? ;)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

A goal of 1200 is not the same as MFP saying you should eat 1000 cals, which is what you previously stated.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    You can get some more exercise in for today. Or you can just accept that you slipped and move on. Your diet isn't ruined either way, because you're not going to do that again, right? ;)

She likey is going to do it again because she's netting such a low amount, which is causing binges. Not healthy or sustainable.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options

So eat 1200 a day.

If you want to eat more, exercise and eat about half your exercise calories back.

The weight will come off.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3" and I burn around 1800-2000 calories a day unless I'm being lazy. So I fuel my body so that I don't feel lazy, and I eat just a little under what I burn, and then lift heavy.

TDEE is what you burn, on average, each day, total including exercise. Google "TDEE calculator" and put your info in, and find out what your TDEE is. Then, if you feel you need more to eat than your calorie goal, eat it...just don't go over your TDEE and you'll still be in a deficit and losing weight...just not as fast as if you stick with your goal.

Eating below 1200 calories per day is not advised. It is nearly impossible to get adequate nutrients from such a low amount. In addition, severely undereating has side effects: you will lose more muscle mass than if you had a smaller deficit, and losing muscle mass means lowering your metabolic rate. It won't be a huge difference, but it could be the difference between being able to eat an Oreo every day without worrying, and gaining weight from eating the Oreo. In addition to muscle loss, the number one side effect of eating such a low calorie diet is gallstones. They are very painful, potentially life-threatening, and the only cure is surgical removal of the gallbladder. And then there's the lose skin from losing too fast.

Please think about slowing down your weight loss and doing it right. By keeping a reasonable deficit, you can lose weight without being hungry, without being stressed over food, and without hurting your body.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You're expected to eat to the number MFP gives you, after exercise. However, depending on how accurately you're recording your intake and how you're tracking your exercise calories, you may be surpassing that number. Your goal may be too restrictive, especially with little to lose.